Issue with reformatting

docta13

Ok, here is the situation:

I am about to reformat my girlfriend's Dell Dimension desktop (she currently has XP Home installed). The only problem is that she doesn't have the XP CD that came with her computer. Now currently, I have XP Home installed on my Gateway computer, and I still have the OS CD for that. My question is, would it be possible to use this Gateway XP CD to go ahead and install XP Home on her Dell computer?

The only problems I can think of are as follows:

1) Gateway may have customized MY XP cd to THEIR specifications (i.e. special applications) and would not really work well with a Dell.

2) If I tried to install XP on her computer with my Gateway cd, I have to input the serial number that came with my computer for it to work, correct? And at what point would I input her valid XP serial number?

3) Just for the heck of it I ran my Gateway Cd on her computer and did a compatibility check with her system....and it said it wasn't compatible with the current version of XP that was running because mine was an older version.

That is all I can think of.....can you please help me out with this situation so I can figure out how to install XP on her computer? thanks!

First off, is this a re-install cd that came with the computer or one you had to make yourself from a built in application the computer? with that in mind, heres what i "think"...

1) Gateway may have customized MY XP cd to THEIR specifications (i.e. special applications) and would not really work well with a Dell.

Generally all the "dell" or "gateway" specific apps come on an additional cd and shouldn't hurt the Dell in anyway.

2) If I tried to install XP on her computer with my Gateway cd, I have to input the serial number that came with my computer for it to work, correct?  And at what point would I input her valid XP serial number?

I've done this before and it shouldn't really matter which computer its installed on. (The only one i can recall off the top of my head was an XP-pro version though, so you better wait for comformation from one of the better tech guys on here (DJ, Tarun, etc.))

3) Just for the heck of it I ran my Gateway Cd on her computer and did a compatibility check with her system....and it said it wasn't compatible with the current version of XP that was running because mine was an older version.

I think this just means that your cd is not as updated as the current running version on her computer...this basically means you have to do the format from the boot cd option, i've never had any problems with this stopping the format.

WITH all these things said, I'd be interested to hear what people on here have to say about installing programs designed for one comp on another, as far as if its totally-on-the-level?

ALSO, as my advice here is at best not that strong, my final word on the subject would be this, if she already has the Right version on here computer, just get in contact with Gateway and have them send out another CD.

Ok, here is the situation:?

The only problems I can think of are as follows:

That is all I can think of.....can you please help me out with this situation so I can figure out how to install XP on her computer?? thanks!

docta13,

I do know one thing that the specific drivers for the material installed comes on the original CD, that is video card, sound card, dvd burner, etc. You can always get those back off of interent, but the computer will not run at its best until it is done. I kept a CD from a computer that I junked and a friend bought a used computer that did not have the orignal CD's. We tired the one I had left over and ran into lots of "driver" problems for the material installed and finished by have to order the original and redo the work we had already done. We did all this to save time because we did not want to wait on the original CD.

As my Father once told me "why do you have time to do it over if you did not have time to do it right in the first place". I should have listened to him and waited for the original CD. :rolleyes:

It is always better to have the original CD & as Newhotness said, it would be worth the wait to send for the right CD.

Have a good day,

Normandie

• Moderators

The simple solution is to call Dell support, give them the Service Tag and all other info they need and ask for the OEM CD. I don't know what it would cost, however if the CD is in anyway tailored for the particular system it would be the easiest approach.

I recently used a Dell XP Pro CD to reformat a old HP that was running ME. When I clicked on the button to activate XP, it went on line and activated without asking for a serial number, product ID, drivers license, birth certificate or anything.

Yea i'm just talking about using a re-install cd that comes with all operating systems. I just want to figure out for sure if using my gateway XP cd on her computer will work ok. And if I did use MY Cd, could I still enter HER XP license number that's printed on the side of the machine?

I'd like to find out if I can go ahead and do all this.....and last resort would be to go ahead and try and contact Dell for their CD's (since that stuff isn't free anymore with them).

The simple solution is to call Dell support, give them the Service Tag and all other info they need and ask for the OEM CD. I don't know what it would cost, however if the CD is in anyway tailored for the particular system it would be the easiest approach.

I reordered the OEM installation cds for a compaq computer I had. It cost me $10 and there was free firstclass shipping. When I installed I did not have to enter any numbers at all. The only thing is that it is Windows xp without any of the service packs. But of course I have my sp2 disc i recieved free from MS so that is not really a problem.