AVG antivirus: "Invalid update control CTF file"

freezerock

I noticed the discussion regarding "avg anti virus doesn't like downloads" and wonder if the AVG notification I am shown when it attempts to update is caused by CCleaner deleting some aspect of the AVG "update control CTF file." I am using AVG v8.0.175 on WinVista v6.0.6001 w/Service Pack 1Build 6001

I have encountered this problem several times now. After the first time I was unable to use AVG's automatic update, I went to their website and manually downloaded the latest virus definitions file. Upon restarting my computer the next time after that session I again encountered the "Invalid update control CTF file" problem when automatic update ran. Their website offers no information regarding the CTF file which prevented me from rectifying the situation I encountered. I then re-downloaded the full AVG software installation, uninstalled the version I couldn't update, and successfully installed the latest version of the software. After installation I updated the program to be sure I had the latest virus definitions update.

I had no problem with the AVG automatic updates for a few days of computer operation. Yesterday, I ran CCleaner and upon restarting the computer today I again encountered the "Invalid update control CTF file" problem. I searched the AVG website again for a solution to the situation and luckily found "1567: AVG update issue - Invalid update control CTF file" which provides a helper application that addresses this issue by deleting the corrupted CTF file. After running that app I was able to successfully utilize the automatic update function and install the latest virus definitions.

I surmise that CCleaner causes the corruption, and if it is in fact what causes it, I would like to avoid this hassle in the future. Any insight or suggestions regarding this issue?

I noticed the discussion regarding "avg anti virus doesn't like downloads" and wonder if the AVG notification I am shown when it attempts to update is caused by CCleaner deleting some aspect of the AVG "update control CTF file." I am using AVG v8.0.175 on WinVista v6.0.6001 w/Service Pack 1Build 6001

I have encountered this problem several times now. After the first time I was unable to use AVG's automatic update, I went to their website and manually downloaded the latest virus definitions file. Upon restarting my computer the next time after that session I again encountered the "Invalid update control CTF file" problem when automatic update ran. Their website offers no information regarding the CTF file which prevented me from rectifying the situation I encountered. I then re-downloaded the full AVG software installation, uninstalled the version I couldn't update, and successfully installed the latest version of the software. After installation I updated the program to be sure I had the latest virus definitions update.

I had no problem with the AVG automatic updates for a few days of computer operation. Yesterday, I ran CCleaner and upon restarting the computer today I again encountered the "Invalid update control CTF file" problem. I searched the AVG website again for a solution to the situation and luckily found "1567: AVG update issue - Invalid update control CTF file" which provides a helper application that addresses this issue by deleting the corrupted CTF file. After running that app I was able to successfully utilize the automatic update function and install the latest virus definitions.

I surmise that CCleaner causes the corruption, and if it is in fact what causes it, I would like to avoid this hassle in the future. Any insight or suggestions regarding this issue?

Hi Freezerock-

Do you have your CCleaner set to clean AVGF8? It normally won't, unless you set it up.

This AVG Invalid CTF file issue has been fairly common lately- scroll around at freeforum.avg.com and you'll see lots of threads. They finally put up a Sticky and FAQ that you used. Hopefully you saved it, as you'll need it again. I had to use it 3 times on my Vista laptop and twice on my nephew's older HPXP laptop toward the end of last week. I did not do any "Ccleaning" and do not have Cc set up to clean AVGF8 (forgot how). Hopefully, whatever is causing this increase in the Invalid CTF file issue will work itself out.

At least it's an easy fix. ;)

Do you have your CCleaner set to clean AVGF8? It normally won't, unless you set it up.

This AVG Invalid CTF file issue has been fairly common lately- scroll around at freeforum.avg.com and you'll see lots of threads. They finally put up a Sticky and FAQ that you used. Hopefully you saved it, as you'll need it again. I had to use it 3 times on my Vista laptop and twice on my nephew's older HPXP laptop toward the end of last week. I did not do any "Ccleaning" and do not have Cc set up to clean AVGF8 (forgot how). Hopefully, whatever is causing this increase in the Invalid CTF file issue will work itself out.

At least it's an easy fix. ;)

Thanks for the response. I have not set CC to clean AVG as I didn't delve that far into the CC settings. I did save the helper app and instructions for it.

When I first searched the AVG website for data regarding the CTF file I used the website's main search engine. Nothing shows up via that route. When I returned to the website today I input the error text into the FAQs search engine and I found the helper app.

Through your comments I feel somewhat relieved to know I am not alone in dealing with this glitch. And as you say, it is easy to rectify now that I know how.

check this out, (http://www.strategyonline.co.za/blog/?p=876), i been bothered so long for this issue..and the suggestion is really help

Thanks for the response. I have not set CC to clean AVG as I didn't delve that far into the CC settings. I did save the helper app and instructions for it.

When I first searched the AVG website for data regarding the CTF file I used the website's main search engine. Nothing shows up via that route. When I returned to the website today I input the error text into the FAQs search engine and I found the helper app.

Through your comments I feel somewhat relieved to know I am not alone in dealing with this glitch. And as you say, it is easy to rectify now that I know how.