Flawed Release Forces Firefox Update

englishmen

As most people here use Firefox I thought I would post this bit of news.

Taken from BetaNews original can be found here.

"Just days after the release of Firefox 1.0.5, Mozilla engineers were busy working to complete version 1.0.6 after API changes were found to have broken third-party extensions. Localized versions of the browser were also put on hold due to the impending update, which angered translators.

Firefox and Mozilla's Thunderbird e-mail client will move to 1.0.6, and the Mozilla Suite will be updated to 1.7.10.

"There is a very real chance that some of the general security improvements may impact a number of extensions that worked with 1.0.4 and earlier, and we want to identify and address as many of these as possible before we release 1.0.6," developers wrote in a Web log posting.

Plans to quickly release 1.0.6 meant work on localized versions were halted, leaving some upset with the news.

"Tens of millions of users are still using 1.0.4 while critical security bugs are already published after [the] en-US 1.0.5 release. I want to say that this seems to be absolutely ignored by [the] Mozilla Foundation," wrote Polish translator Zbigniew Braniecki.

The Mozilla Foundation today issued candidate builds of version 1.0.6 in preparation for a final release.

"Mail handling extensions such as Enigmail for Thunderbird and the Mozilla Suite should also be tested heavily. Any other extensions should be tested normally to ensure that they continue to operate without issues," developers said."

Update can be found here

I'm still using 1.0.4 because when you upgrade it doesn't install properly. It still leaves the old version on my PC.

Which is why you are supposed to uninstall Firefox before installing a new version.

" Prior to installing Firefox 1.0.6, please ensure that the directory you've chosen to install into is clean and doesn't contain any previous Firefox installations."

Which is why you are supposed to uninstall Firefox before installing a new version.

" Prior to installing Firefox 1.0.6, please ensure that the directory you've chosen to install into is clean and doesn't contain any previous Firefox installations."

That quote is from the section of the release notes headed "Known Issues", which appears to be intended for those who have problems after following the standard installation instructions (though they failed to make that very clear).

In an earlier section, it says to just download and run the installer, period. Smart users do uninstall the old version before running the installer, though, because it means less chance of problems.

Only the truly paranoid install in a new directory every time, it forces you to re-install most plugins as well, and it usually isn't necessary.

<edit> I should add, if you have both the old version and the new version in your Add or Remove Programs list, the old version is generally just a leftover entry. You can see what version you're using by clicking Help > About Mozilla Firefox.

When your sure that it's just a leftover entry, you can remove it with CCleaner. Tools > Uninstall, highlight the entry, click "Delete Entry".

Smart users do uninstall the old version before running the installer, though, because it means less chance of problems.

That is what i was trying to get across you should with every software(or at least i do) uninstall completely the previous version first to avoid problems with the new version.

Yer but I wanted to install over the top so I wouldn't loose my plugins, bookmarks etc.  <_<

Your bookmarks, extensions etc are not stores in the same folder as Firefox is installed in. They are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\[user Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ and are not deleted when you uninstall Firefox. Just uninstall the old firefox run CCleaner including the registry bit to clean any junk restart then install the new version. Beware tho your search plugins ARE stored in the same folder as firefox so browse to where you installed firefox and just copy the "searchplugins" folder to another location and copy it back when the new version is install and NOT running.

Also not compulsory but i also delete the easy to find registry entries such HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla tho you do not have to B)

Cool, I'll start upgrading  :)

It wouldn't hurt; if you're comfortable with editing the registry, and want to go to the trouble, go ahead.

Even when I had to fix a bad install of Fx 1.0.3, I didn't mess with that, you can read about that here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...6488&highlight=

I uninstalled,deleted the installation folder, ran CCleaner (both scans) and EasyCleaner (registry scan), and re-installed. I had no more trouble after that.

If your previous version wasn't corrupted, I wouldn't even bother with that.

I just installed 1.0.6, I did back up profiles, and uninstall the previous version (1.0.4, I skipped 1.0.5), but that's all I did before I installed. It went without a hitch, seems to be working flawlessly.

But I'm no expert, if I was I might be less reluctant to edit the registry! Take as many precautions as you feel inclined, you're the one who has to deal with the results! B)