CPU TEMP climbing for no reason.

Anthony A

Something else you could check.

The next time the temp spikes and before unplugging the mouse receiver, check the current draw on the USB ports. Have all USB devices you use plugged in. If you are running Windows XP, right-click My Computer and choose Properties, Hardware, Device Manager. Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers, double-click the USB Root Hub entry, and click the Power tab. Add up the amounts in the Power Required column. Your PC specs might be different but each port typically can handle 500ma.

If there is something wrong with your ports it might show up as drawing too much power.

Sometimes there are internal devices connected to a port, such as a touch pad that can increase the current draw of a particular port.

Something else you could check.

The next time the temp spikes and before unplugging the mouse receiver, check the current draw on the USB ports. Have all USB devices you use plugged in. If you are running Windows XP, right-click My Computer and choose Properties, Hardware, Device Manager. Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers, double-click the USB Root Hub entry, and click the Power tab. Add up the amounts in the Power Required column. Your PC specs might be different but each port typically can handle 500ma.

If there is something wrong with your ports it might show up as drawing too much power.

Sometimes there are internal devices connected to a port, such as a touch pad that can increase the current draw of a particular port.

Thanks I didn't know about doing that I will give it a try. I will look when things are well and take note of the values and than check when/if the temps start acting up and compare the values.

I wonder what SpeedFan would indicate:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

It has a logging function as well.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I only use speedfan because all I need is the CPU temp in the tray, along with the hdd temp. I set it to put the mobo's cpu temp in the tray instead of the cpu's temp. I find it's more consistent and closer to the real temp.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

Hmm, Speedfan is reading about the same as SIW?

And all of a sudden my clock speed has increased which I ain't seen before?

i2171_SFTest.JPG

I judge by that pic that the maximum temperature your sensors can detect is 122C? And is your system water cooled?

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

Anthony, I use SIW as well but I do get a discrepancy in the sensors with SIW showing my cpu temps at around 5 C higher than Real Temp.

Which app is correct, dunno? :unsure:

i2170_Temp.JPG

The actual temp is really not the problem. Wether it's off by a couple Celsius isn't a big concern. It's the rapid rise for no reason even when CPU load is 0-1% and than it stops when I fiddle around with the USB ports. I just use SIW to see it in action.