CPU TEMP climbing for no reason.

Anthony A

On and off for the last couple months now on one of my machines I have noticed the CPU fan coming on much more often than it should or has in the past. First thing I do is launch Process Explorer to see if anything is working the CPU and there isn't. CPU usage is about 2 or 3 percent as it normally is on the machine and the fan keeps coming on. So I launch SIW and monitor the temps. Sure enough they are climbing and for no reason. They climb to about 60 C than the fans kick on and stay on until the temps hit about 38 C. I than watch the temps climb back up to 60+ C in a matter of minutes even though I am doing nothing on the machine but watching the temps in SIW. CPU usage is 1% and the temps are climbing.

This has been happening on and off for a couple months. I noticed that if I pull out the USB connector for my mouse and than plug it back in a different port it fixes this many times. I am good for a few days to a week and than I notice the fans again for no reason. This is very strange. Any ideas whats going on or what I can do to investigate this further? I know my machine well enough to know when the fans should be coming on or not. I think it's a hardware problem and related to the USB ports in some way strange as that seems.

Edit: sure wish we could edit titles for typos.

Sounds like a motherboard problem. Do you know if the CPU temperature you're monitoring is the CPU's thermometer or the motherboards one next to the CPU? Does the hard drive temp behave like this?

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

Sounds like a motherboard problem. Do you know if the CPU temperature you're monitoring is the CPU's thermometer or the motherboards one next to the CPU? Does the hard drive temp behave like this?

Hard drive temp is fine.

I'm pretty sure it's the temp for the CPU and not the mother board. It's a dual core and has two temps one for each.

Dell thinks it might be a mother board issue to and wants me to send it in to the depot to get it checked.

My warranty expired yesterday :o but they said they would cover it for me anyways which is great of them since a mother board costs as much to replace as the whole laptop.

It's definitely tied into the USB ports though since removing the USB receiver for the mouse will fix the hight temps for a while.

Not really wanting to send it in though. Too much info on the machine and I don't want to wipe it.

do you dust the inside of your machine? i regularly use the compressed air cannisters and blow out my laptop and desktops, and you wouldnt believe the amount of dust inside of them.....

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

do you dust the inside of your machine? i regularly use the compressed air cannisters and blow out my laptop and desktops, and you wouldnt believe the amount of dust inside of them.....

Yes I do that and keep them covered when not in use. My machines look like they just came off the assembly line.

I was looking at cooling pads but it would just be treating the symptom not the disease.

As I type this my machine is working fine. Probably will for a while. Than for no reason I will notice the fan coming on frequently when it shouldn't be and will continue to do so until I unplug the USB receiver for the mouse and than plug it in again.

I know if I send in the machine they will just wipe it and it will come back a totally different machine. They won't bother to try and diagnosis it. Dell's first solution to every problem is reinstall Windows. It's the first thing the tech support guy recommended. Blows my mind how they always jump right to that. Since the problem is intermittent they might not even get it fixed. With my luck the machine will work fine while they are looking at it and than start messing up when I get it back. It won't get properly fixed until it totally fails than the problem will be easy to diagnose :rolleyes:

Fortunately I have several images of this HD with a couple different programs so worse case I send it in and if they screw my set up I install the image.

Dell's first solution to every problem is reinstall Windows. It's the first thing the tech support guy recommended. Blows my mind how they always jump right to that.

Not surprising. The first level of tech support usually knows less than the person calling in. They are reading from a data base screen and know little beyond that. You typically have to escalate the problem to get someone who knows what they are talking about. And I?m not picking on Dell, that?s true of all of them. But that?s for another thread...

As for the hot cpu, this is a long shot but the problem seem to follow your mouse receiver. If you have an old wired mouse around, use it for a couple of weeks and try other devices in your usb ports. If the problem doesn't come back, its the mouse receiver. If its the usb ports, it shouldn't matter what is plugged into them.

Actually I prefer wired Mouses as the darn batteries keep wearing down and even if I have spare batteries they only last a short while.

Also I prefer the PS/2 connected Mouses as they work without the fussy software that claims to add mega features that I invariantly forget.

t2159_mouse.png

The same thing goes for keyboards as well.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Not surprising. The first level of tech support usually knows less than the person calling in. They are reading from a data base screen and know little beyond that. You typically have to escalate the problem to get someone who knows what they are talking about. And I’m not picking on Dell, that’s true of all of them. But that’s for another thread...

As for the hot cpu, this is a long shot but the problem seem to follow your mouse receiver. If you have an old wired mouse around, use it for a couple of weeks and try other devices in your usb ports. If the problem doesn't come back, its the mouse receiver. If its the usb ports, it shouldn't matter what is plugged into them.

I don't phone them for help because as you said they know very little. You have to phone though to start any kind of action on the problem because that is their process. So you have to jump through the hoops the tech guy wants you to before you can get any where.

The mouse receiver is the only USB device that is constantly in. When the CPU temp problem starts simply removing the reviver doesn't fix it. I tried that and just used my touch pad and the temp problem was still there. Re inserting the mouse receiver fixes the problem. So it seem removing and re inserting the receiver does something to the USB ports that fixes the problem.

I have been using the machine for 4 hours now and the CPU temp has remained constant and no fans had to come on. Very intermittent this problem is and I seriously doubt the tech guys will spend enough time on it to find it. They will send it back and it will be the same. Only when it totally fails will they get it fixed.

Maybe there is some device thy hook it up to that can pin point it. The truth is is could leterally be thousand sof different things.

Dell's first solution to every problem is reinstall Windows.

This is not only true of Dell but most people I talk to. My brother's girlfriend pays for reinstalls every time her comp gets infected. :rolleyes:

Also, I wish I could help you, but my laptop has been overheating too, although mine idle at 50 Celsius and when in use goes to 70. This, I've been told, is due to a thermal gel (or was it the heatsync? (although, it was also the way it was built)) that was recalled a while back. I did not know this.

I know there was a large thing about the particular laptop, and everyone got brand new ones because of a court case. (or something. I'm too tired to check). I can't do this, however, as I bought mine secondhand and I don't know if they'll help me. :(

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

This is not only true of Dell but most people I talk to. My brother's girlfriend pays for reinstalls every time her comp gets infected. :rolleyes:

Also, I wish I could help you, but my laptop has been overheating too, although mine idle at 50 Celsius and when in use goes to 70. This, I've been told, is due to a thermal gel (or was it the heatsync? (although, it was also the way it was built)) that was recalled a while back. I did not know this.

I know there was a large thing about the particular laptop, and everyone got brand new ones because of a court case. (or something. I'm too tired to check). I can't do this, however, as I bought mine secondhand and I don't know if they'll help me. :(

What make is your laptop?

If my problem was constant it would be much easier to pin point the cause. Since it runs fine for days and weeks at a time it makes it harder and I have little confidence that Dell will find it until it totally fails if it ever does.

Dell Inspiron 5150

I dual-boot XP SP3 and Ubuntu (although, I'm switching to Arch within the week). XP idles at 45-50 and Ubuntu stays in 40s until I open up something like firefox. Usually within the hour, both hit 70, and I shutdown, in fear of HD damage.

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.

Dell Inspiron 5150

I dual-boot XP SP3 and Ubuntu (although, I'm switching to Arch within the week). XP idles at 45-50 and Ubuntu stays in 40s until I open up something like firefox. Usually within the hour, both hit 70, and I shutdown, in fear of HD damage.

Are you talking about CPU temps or HD temps? My HD temps are not problem it's the CPU randomly spiking that's the issue. The problem is on a Dell Inspirion 9400 with an Intel core 2 Duo T7400.

Are you talking about CPU temps or HD temps? My HD temps are not problem it's the CPU randomly spiking that's the issue. The problem is on a Dell Inspirion 9400 with an Intel core 2 Duo T7400.

It's the CPU temp. On both XP and Ubuntu I have CPU temp programs. I'm not very hardware savvy, so I'm not sure what can affect what.

It's the CPU temp. On both XP and Ubuntu I have CPU temp programs. I'm not very hardware savvy, so I'm not sure what can affect what.

You said in your previous post that when the Temp hit 70 you shut down because you fear HD damage so I though that's what you were referring to.

The temps you are talking about is that Celsius of Fahrenheit?

I'm Canadian, so it's always Celsius for me. I don't understand Fahrenheit, to be honest. It's always sounds worse than it is :P

You should be fine runnng the CPU in the lower 70C range. As long as the HDD temp doesn't join it it should be fine around 55C. Unless your drive, mobo or whatever has a built in shutoff point below those they should remain physically intact.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

It does, but I still fear. My laptop was a gift from my "other" and we don't have much money right now. Is there a program to detect HD temp as well as CPU temp? I mean, once my CPU hits 70, the entire bottom of my laptop is scathing hot, and it begins hardcore lag (not in a game, just in general). A normal menu opening took five minutes, once, it was so bad, and upon stepping outside into a blistering cold wind, it began working at normal speed (within a minute or so).

It does, but I still fear. My laptop was a gift from my "other" and we don't have much money right now. Is there a program to detect HD temp as well as CPU temp? I mean, once my CPU hits 70, the entire bottom of my laptop is scathing hot, and it begins hardcore lag (not in a game, just in general). A normal menu opening took five minutes, once, it was so bad, and upon stepping outside into a blistering cold wind, it began working at normal speed (within a minute or so).

I use this to monitor everything on my machines http://www.gtopala.com/ it's called SIW which means system information for Windows. You want to know whats on your machine and I mean anything use this. Here is a shot of the temps section.

46d28ad39f5e.jpg

In your situation I would definitely look at a cooling pad for the laptop. My machine's HD does not get hot nor does the bottom of the machine.

Knock on wood but my CPU has not acted up since I started this thread. This is how it goes though. Tomorrow, next week or next month it will start again until I play with the USB ports and it fixes it.

I don't think I will send it in until it totally fails. Dell let me extend my warranty for another year for $100. So anything that goes wrong is covered. Even the HD costs more than that and the MO BO is way more than that.