Vista Ultimate 32b, SP1 - lost permissions for HKCR

Jiri Pik

Hello:

not sure how this happened, but there is a big chance that it may have been caused by CCleaner. Suddenly, all permissions for HKCR got lost, with most of the SW i have stopped working completely. Only after I manually run the below script, the computer started to work, but I need to run the script every few days.

The issue has been well documented at http://www.brianpeek.com/blog/archive/2007...stry-issue.aspx

Anybody has any clue about the cause? Could it be CCleaner? How to fix this?

cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=Jiri Pik=f /grant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators

subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=Jiri Pik=f /grant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /setowner=administrators

subinacl /keyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /setowner=administrators

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators

subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators

pause

• Moderators

Having had a read of your link I do not understand why you say there is a big chance it was caused by CCleaner.

No one in all those posts even mentions it. It is a vista thing as far as I can see and many, many people are looking for a fix.

Most users seem to have helped this problem by installing subinacl from the Windows Resource Kit. However it can be 'broken' again by anything which writes to the registry apparently.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Having had a read of your link I do not understand why you say there is a big chance it was caused by CCleaner.

No one in all those posts even mentions it. It is a vista thing as far as I can see and many, many people are looking for a fix.

Most users seem to have helped this problem by installing subinacl from the Windows Resource Kit. However it can be 'broken' again by anything which writes to the registry apparently.

Why there is a big chance ... because that's the only program that "fixes registry" I have run after a clean reinstall of the machine.

Of course, CCleaner can be innocent in this. If this is the case, indeed, then it would be a great feature of CCleaner if it provided a comprehensive fix for this - subinacl is not a complete solution, indeed.

I know its late and after the fact. But CC dosent change or alter key permissions. It only deletes keys/values despite the application using the word 'fix'.

As for using subinacl, I've also seen many people have registry related problems from this. Permissions and ownership needs to be set to 'NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller' for some specific keys for security reasons.

Can you be more specific? What values and what permissions?

Do you have any link to any doc on this?

Any help much appreciated.

All the best.

I dont know of any documentation that lists which keys and values are owned by Trusted Installer. But a couple examples would be HKCR\InternetShortcut and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\FolderTypes

I mainly wanted to post that CC dosent affect key/value permissions. Also you mentioned you have to run the script every few days?

Thanks. Yes, I have to run that script every few days - whenever the config of the computer changes a bit. Not sure what caused this but trying to talk to the possible software developers who might know.

Any advice much appreciated. Regarding CCleaner - keep doing your great work!