Clean multiple profiles option..

psybersoma

Is there any plans to have a checkbox to have CCleaner, clean multiple profiles?

I've noticed that it only cleans the profile you are currently logged in to.

This would be a great option to wipe all profiles of temp files and other internet temp files as well..

I know you can do it with the Advanced features with adding additional folders to clean, but it

would really be great to just have an option to select for it to clean all profiles on a machine..

-Psybersoma

• 2 weeks later...

But in a safe environment (corporate) user do not have rights over computer and in this case all is delete ?SAFE?

I did found a solution to clean the hist\*.*, tem\*.* and Internet temp\*.* form ALL THE USERs WITH JUST ONE CLEAN

Right click in the CCleaner icon ?run as? administrator ID and password

INCLUDE and Enter data of all users to clean all the hist\*.*, tem\*.* and Internet temp\*.*

Run the CCleaner and Voila most of the job is done

THANK YOU

Juan

YES YES YES :P , i really want this feature so much and you know, this is actually now a builtin feature of Windows Vista.

In Vista you can choose to clean all profiles on the computer, but only if you are an administrator, so why not do the same in CCleaner :huh: .

I actually stopped using CCleaner where i work (public school with 200+ computers), because this only cleans the currently logged on userprofile :angry: .

So instead of CCleaner i now use TempCleaner, because this cleans all userprofiles on the computer :blink: .

But still uses CCleaner at home, because i like it best :P .

I really really hope, that this will be available in CCleaner in the future.

THANKS ;)

Welcome MrFear

This had been discussed before in this sticky:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14936

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• 2 weeks later...
But in a safe environment (corporate) user do not have rights over computer and in this case all is delete ?SAFE?

Juan

ABSOLUTELY NOT NECESSARILY SAFE.

M.$. do stupid things.

They have installed M.$. "Teach yourself Windows" junk on my computer.

Part of the installation includes executables within my profile, out of reach of other users;

BUT these executables are referenced in a PUBLIC registry hive instead of my personal profile hive;

So any user OTHER than myself will have CC offer to delete the keys which are needed for MYSELF.

M.$. do other stupid things that also cause problems, but they cannot be enumerated without overloading the Piriform servers !!!

I would like to clean all users, BUT I would not like other users to do the same to me !!!

Regards

Alan

I second this suggestion. Possible issues could be prevented by making this option disabled by default.

When talking about safety, it may be good to have only temporary files and browser cache checked by default. History items aren?t space hogs at all and could only lead to unpleasant surprise if the user doesn?t understand it and just hits "run cleaner" right after the install.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Is there any plans to have a checkbox to have CCleaner, clean multiple profiles?

I've noticed that it only cleans the profile you are currently logged in to.

This would be a great option to wipe all profiles of temp files and other internet temp files as well..

I know you can do it with the Advanced features with adding additional folders to clean, but it

would really be great to just have an option to select for it to clean all profiles on a machine..

-Psybersoma

Hi, I'm new on here, so quickly did a search to make sure not repeating previous topics... Love the product and as an independent computer consultant, I recommend this to all my users (largely domestic so domains don't come into it for me!)

Having the option to do this would be so helpful as often multiple users logon to a home pc and if the PC is performing badly it's taken a good couple of hours for me to logon to say 6 accounts and run CCleaner (which improved performance no end - hurrah!)

I can understand people not wanting their profiles to be Ccleaned by others, but in a typical scenario, you have parent (admin) and children (limited) accounts in XP Home and having the ability for a parent to clean their children's account without having to logon as them would be awesome. CCleaner not showing or not working in a limited account to prevent child from running on parent's account(s) would help here?

Is there any (easy) way around this? Something that could be implemented simply when visiting people's houses?

Keep up the good work

Jeff

Jeffp

I have no experience of a speed-up because I clean frequently.

I would not be surprised by an improvement if I allowed a lot of junk to accumulate before cleaning.

The above is in agreement with your findings, BUT - it does NOT work for other profiles.

Because I often clean, my profile holds little junk, and the entire operating system has little junk.

Other users rarely clean their profiles, but they still have the benefit of a junk free operating system.

On the rare occasions that they do clean their profiles the ONLY effects on my profile are :-

Properties of C:\ show a slight reduction in "Used Space" and corresponding increase in "Free space";

I have never noticed any effect upon speed.

It is totally unreasonable for any profile to have its speed affected by hidden, private, inaccessible junk in other profiles.

Unfortunately Windows has never been a reasonable animal,

with many "gotchas" for the unwary,

and NTFS gives it a smokescreen that makes things worse,

therefore I am open to information upon the unexpected.

Have you ever :-

chosen a profile as "master";

measured the speed (1) for this master profile;

cleaned this profile (plus operating system etc. etc.);

and again measured the speed (2) for this master profile;

and then gone to each of the other profiles and cleaned them;

and then returned to the original "master" profile and measured the speed (3);

And then compared speed(2) with (speed(3) ?

I would not expect cleaning to make speed(2) slower than speed(1),

and would hope it would make it faster.

I have no favourable expectations because Windows so often dashes them on the harsh rocks of reality.

I just accept that what happens is what happens.

QUESTION - have you ever measured speed(3) as faster than speed(2) ?

I would not expect any difference, but welcome advice.

ANSWER to your question :-

I use the portable build of CCleaner so its settings are not affected by the registry.

An "All Users" short-cut on the desktop can run this in a clean and shut-down mode,

and it will clean with a very safe non-aggressive CCleaner.INI :-

all the profile junk that user has created;

none of the system outside their profile.

So long as they use this for "Shutdown" instead of the usual Windows Shutdown,

then everyone, especially me, will have the benefit of extra free space.

A separate folder with another instance of CCleaner has a far more aggressive CCleaner.INI.

I personally use this to supervise the purging of all junk in my profile AND ALSO the whole system outside profiles.

Sometime soon after dealing with other priorities I expect to :-

use just one folder, not two (my first P.C. had a 20 MB HDD, so duplication of even 1 MB is offensive to me);

alter the desk top short-cut to invoke a batch CMD script.

This script will test whether "Alan" has launched it, or some-one else.

It will then replace CCleaner.INI with a renamed copy of Aggresive.ini for my use,

or Mild.ini for the others.

If you would like to try this and report back, it would be very helpful.

Otherwise when I have the time I will create, debug, and publish a workable batch file.

To summarise, without any need for you to log into the other users profiles;

you could simply install a CCleaner setup that does the shut-down for every user,

and you can choose how mild or aggressive,

and whether you want every-one to clean the whole system or only their own profile.

If the family has an "Administrator" with higher interest/skills with the computer,

you could additionally arrange a greater degree of aggression for that user,

and perhaps remove "system" cleaning from the general users settings.

That would quickly give a better speed for the profile you log in to,

and all the other profiles will get better speed,

and release more free space to every-one as each logins in and shuts-down.

You do not have to be there for it to happen.

Incidentally in addition to Mild.INI and Aggressive.INI,

you might use Psychotic.INI to give a thorough spring-clean under your supervision,

since you have the tools and skills to prevent/repair any damage.

Regards

Alan

I hear what you are saying Disk4Mat, but there are many people whether they have a computer repair business, just fix computers for family or just use ccleaner for their home pc, that they are administrator of. It is a pain to run it for one user, then switch to a different user, install the program again, then run it again, and do the same for the next user.

At least having the option to install for all users you won't have to bother re-installing it for each user. Then within the program interface have a checkbox that is not set on as default for each user listed. Then if they are checked have a pop-up come up to warn that this will remove the same settings for all profiles.

This is an option I registered to suggest and saw there was already suggestions on it, gee wonder why that is, probably because people want the idea implemented.