"Lost" 15gb with defraggler... what's up with this?

gabb

I know that, at times, using Defraggler, one can sometimes see a brief fluctuation in HD space (for me, it's usually 1-2 gigs), but it generally goes down after usage. Try restarting your computer, and see if anything has changed. I have no idea about 64bit systems, though D:

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Just ran it.. had 45gb used space, now 60gb.

Running Vista sp1 x64.

Ran CCleaner to see if it cleaned some of the temp files.. and no go...

please give me a solution...

From what I have read in this forum and some MS articles, Vista will create System Restore Points while some third party programs are running. Your Gigabytes will be "recovered" as Vista releases these System Restore Points.

Hope we can get some more input from those with Vista 64-bit and use Defraggler.

:) davey

WHOOPS! If anyone read this post, apologies. It seems that there was indeed a system restore of 10GB or so that happened during the defrag, and I needed to wait til another restore point was created to clear it. Sorry! -blush-

edited

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.

WHOOPS! If anyone read this post, apologies. It seems that there was indeed a system restore of 10GB or so that happened during the defrag, and I needed to wait til another restore point was created to clear it. Sorry! -blush-

edited

I actually have System restore disabled on vista...

is has to be something else..

I am wondering the same thing myself. Lost 20 GB's of space after using Defraggler and know as well that the loss was not from the restore points. Using defraggler on Vista 64 for a 500 GB hard drive fresh install of Windows Vista. Hope service pack one for vista does not take up 20 GB's of space.

I actually have System restore disabled on vista...

is has to be something else..

Try making a system restore point, and the open Disk Cleanup, hit the second tab, and delete up to most recent restore point. You'll get your space back. trust me. :) (if not, this would warrant looking into, mayhaps)

I lost twenty Gb's of free space on a Vista 64 drive after using Defraggler. Decided to use the built in Vista disk defragmenter after defragmenting the drive with Defraggler and gain 17GB's of space back. Rebooted the machine and still had that extra free space from using the built in Vista disk defragmenter. To confirm everything, redefrag the drive with Defraggler and lost the 17 Gb's of hard disk free space which have no idea where it went. Next use the vista disk defragmenter again and regained the 17 GBs back. Not for sure what is going on, but 17 GBs of free space for program is a little bit to much :P . It is still a good concept offering a free program that has the same functionality ofa paid software just think it needs a few fixes. Adding the homepage to my favorites and will check back if a update resolves this issue. Unfortunately, went ahead and uninstalled it from my pc since running the Windows Vista Default defragmenter after using Defraggler defeats the purpose of it. Still keep up the good work and will check back if an undate resolves it.

• 1 month later...
Just ran it.. had 45gb used space, now 60gb.

Running Vista sp1 x64.

Ran CCleaner to see if it cleaned some of the temp files.. and no go...

please give me a solution...

SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys I was searching around and i found this forum [http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=16464&st=0&gopid=121877entry121877]

This is what I posted on that forum in response to the success of the solution posed:

THANK!!!!

I ran Defraggler and after around an hour I noticed I lost 6.1GB (from 48gb free to 41.9!)!!! and it was only 30% done! So I Immediately stopped Defragmentation and searched online about it. It seemed that it has been happening to alot of people and the most common explanation was "System Restore Points", some suggested me to run a disk cleanup and after elaborating the search on that I found that the Built in Disk Cleanup (in vista) would >>>>DELETE ALL things on a hrad drive<<<< (due to some registry problem). Anyways I left that alone. [use CCleaner instead!! haha]

Then I found this post and I tried the thing where in Defragger click 'Action' (in top left) > 'Advance' > 'Check drive for errors' and to my relief I gained all my GBs back after 'Verifying Drive'!!! yay!!! Not only did I gain it back, i got an additional 1.6GB!!!!

So from 48GB Free, I ran Defraggler ...... after 30%defrag it became 41.9GB....stopped it.... ran dive check.... now have 49.6GB free.

I also Ran Defraggler again and now instead of reducing disk space during the process I gain! So i can conclude that The Check Disk thing is what's needed to be done before anything in Defraggler.

Hope this helps most of you out there :D.

Does this "disk-space-munching" only happen on Vista - or has anyone seen this happen on XP?

EM

Hi Eastman,

This "disk-space-munching" only happens on Vista. It is not really "lost" space as some users think.

It is Vista using the space. It is also Vista returning the space. There is no magic happening by using Defraggler.

It is not the cause of the "loss" or the "return" of this space. Many users have done many things in order to recover this space. It is coincidental that the space is returned in almost all these cases. The user could continue the Defraggler run and the drive will be defragged. Some users have stopped the Defraggler run because they were watching the "Used space" and "Free space" fields and they mistakenly thought that Defraggler was "taking" the space.

I do not know of any such thing happening in WinXP.

Thanks for the good question,

P.S. This response is in regards to this thread only. There were problems in the past recorded in other threads that I am not sure if Defraggler was actually the cause of "lost" space or not.

Edited by davey

Hi Eastman,

This "disk-space-munching" only happens on Vista. It is not really "lost" space as some users think.

It is Vista using the space. It is also Vista returning the space. There is no magic happening by using Defraggler.

It is not the cause of the "loss" or the "return" of this space. Many users have done many things in order to recover this space. It is coincidental that the space is returned in almost all these cases. The user could continue the Defraggler run and the drive will be defragged. Some users have stopped the Defraggler run because they were watching the "Used space" and "Free space" fields and they mistakenly thought that Defraggler was "taking" the space.

I do not know of any such thing happening in WinXP.

Thanks for the good question,

P.S. This response is in regards to this thread only. There were problems in the past recorded in other threads that I am not sure if Defraggler was actually the cause of "lost" space or not.

Hey,

I've read that I can't really Lose or Gain space when Defragging. Can you help explain to me why I lost over 6GB first time defrag and gained over 21GB for the second defrag?

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

Hi Matt,

As explained in the previous post Vista uses space while you use "Defraggler", sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. It all depends on your system. It varies quite a bit. See some of the other Vista users reports and you will see what I mean. Later Vista will release this space. The defragmenting process has nothing to do with it other than causing Vista to react.

These may help you to understand.

Windows Vista, System Restore

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrpv.html

Vista Disk Defragmenter FAQ

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/articles/440717.aspx

Don?t judge a book by its cover ? why Windows Vista Defrag is cool

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2...ag-is-cool.aspx

Best wishes,