CCleaner upgrade over FileHippo.com

svhk

Blast. If you go to http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ to start the free download of CC new version, the first thing that hits you into the eye is "Begin download here" on the left. Before I knew it I had downloaded, paid, installed and run something called RegCure from ParetoLogic. To top it all, by the time I had paid and registered, the scan results were gone. OK, I agree, I could have been more careful, but it's late and I've been struggling, monitoring and uninstalling the whole evening. This is just to warn other people like me to look carefully at what they are doing. And to complain that the CC download site is not really very user-friendly - I still don't know how to download the CC upgrade.

Blast. If you go to http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ to start the free download of CC new version, the first thing that hits you into the eye is "Begin download here" on the left. Before I knew it I had downloaded, paid, installed and run something called RegCure from ParetoLogic. To top it all, by the time I had paid and registered, the scan results were gone. OK, I agree, I could have been more careful, but it's late and I've been struggling, monitoring and uninstalling the whole evening. This is just to warn other people like me to look carefully at what they are doing. And to complain that the CC download site is not really very user-friendly - I still don't know how to download the CC upgrade.

Over the time I've used Filehippo for upgrading, updating, and finding new programs, I have never come across anything that told me I have to pay. (Then again, I have Adblock Plus up at all times, so maybe it's just another malicious ad?) Anyways, you have to be more careful.

Filehippo has always given me clean copies of CCleaner, so, I can't understand where you're coming from.

Has anyone else had this problem?

[edit] :

Erk. I turned Adblock off, and saw the ad. You gotta be more careful. These ads are sneaky like that. Get adblock or something similar. It'll really change your life :)

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Welcome svhk

I have never seen any reference to RegCure from ParetoLogic on the http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner page.

t2082_cclener.png

I would download MBAM then update it then run a Quick scan and let it remove what it detects and a reboot may be required to remove locked files:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Then install a HOSTS file to prevent those known malware sites from accessing your system.

HOSTS files I use:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

http://hosts-file.net/?s=Download

Managed with HostsMan and I use its HostsServer proxy to speed up browsing:

http://www.abelhadigital.com

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

This is with Adblock Plus Disabled

Filehippo.com CCleaner page :

http://tinyurl.com/4tqmz2

What It Links To :

http://tinyurl.com/5yzhxs

ETA - Both links are to FreeImageHosting.net, as I don't have an account anywhere, so free image hosting ftw.

Edit : Confused the words 'up' and 'disabled' D:

It would be smart to mention, now, that there are many rogue ads that try to suck you in and get you to download their programs. You have to have a keen eye, because, one looks closely enough at the ad, just above it is a small text line stating : ads by google.

It'll take time, as is to be expected, before you recognize traps like this, but when you finally get used to it, you'll shudder at how many times you've fallen for these very traps. Thankfully, though, you can help people with these problems later on.

MBAM, as YoKenny suggested, is a very good suggestion, but, alas, I've never tried the HOST solution. I've been fine for the last little while with SpywareBlaster/Adblock Plus and a little bit of close watching.

I hope you aren't dissuaded, however, because CCleaner is a titan of a product, and what's more, it's free! :D

Have a nice day :)

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.

I can't use Adblock Plus because I don't like Firefox.

The HOSTS file uses very little system resources and works for any browser.

FreeImageHosting.net is down right now.

I prefer ImageSpeech Free Image Hosting:

http://www.imagespeech.com/index.php

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

This is just to warn other people like me to look carefully at what they are doing. And to complain that the CC download site is not really very user-friendly - I still don't know how to download the CC upgrade.

Hi svhk,

Welcome to the forums. :D

Thank you for your report about your problem. It is appreciated.

You sound like a pretty new user of the Internet as I was 15 months ago.

You can avoid many of these problems by following the advice that I was given here on this forum.

I am presuming that you are using Internet Explorer like most users.

New User Advise

You will not regret doing this.

Link to the following site and click on

Download Free IE7Pro 2.4 has been released on Sep 24,2008

http://www.ie7pro.com/

IE7Pro is an add-on to Internet Explorer and will change your browsing tremendously.

It comes with many things that will help you avoid many "beginner" problems.

It has an Ad-Blocker that will eliminate the problem that you encountered. It also helps prevent you from going to dangerous sites like a Hosts file manager does. You don't have to be a "techie". It just has these features built-in.

It also has a Download Manager program called MiniDM that will help you to keep control over all the things that you will be downloading. It will make Internet usage a lot easier. You will be able to "surf" a lot safer.

You can come back and ask questions about this and other software on the Software Forum. These members will give you help and advice. They KNOW the best.

As regards downloading CCleaner, you can also select "Alternative Download" on the normal download page.

http://www.CCleaner.com/download

All free forums and download sites need the advertising income to continue their existence, unfortunately.

Some advertisers use very deceptive methods to distract you and make you link to their site. I am sure that this will be looked into.

Best wishes,

:) davey

1ac4b660835b.jpg

This is the filehippo.com download page for CCleaner.

a877dc2a1a80.jpg

This is where it links to.

Thanks for the screenshots tcoffeep :)

My pleasure, Hazel :)

• Moderators

I could see how that ad could snag someone into thinking they were downloading the software they originally intended to download. Pretty damned sloppy, the ad should have some separation from the other page content.

I could see how that ad could snag someone into thinking they were downloading the software they originally intended to download. Pretty damned sloppy, the ad should have some separation from the other page content.

Of course, you don't think that the advertiser knew exactly what they were doing when they set up that ad do you ??? :lol::lol::lol:

Thank you all for the screenshots, advice and irony :D

All together it makes a nice warm welcome for a ne....wbie.

CU all soon -s-

You are welcome.

Developers who use such trickery to get customers should note the negative impact that this has upon their "Questionable reputation".

Of course there is always the excuse of "plausible denial". We will see.

P.S. There is something very strange in the "Ads by Google" printing at the top of the screen-shot supplied by member "tcoffeep" at Filehippo.com versus the "real words" as normally seen in such windows.

This is very suspicious, indeed !!!

Edited by davey

Here is the screenshot of what i got disabling the AdHunter feature in Maxthon.

maxthonshoteq9.th.jpgthpix.gif

IMO this is the so called 'adsense by Google'. Clicking the up/down arrows other advertising are shown,

all related to 'registry cleaning', 'speed up your pc', and so on...

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

Here is the screenshot of what i got disabling the AdHunter feature in Maxthon.

maxthonshoteq9.th.jpgthpix.gif

IMO this is the so called 'adsense by Google'. Clicking the up/down arrows other advertising are shown,

all related to 'registry cleaning', 'speed up your pc', and so on...

Like you, Whiteshark, your screen-shot depicts what I always see when I turn off Ad Blocker in IE7Pro.

Notice the difference in the font from "tcoffeep" 's screen-shot of the words "Ads by Google".

Perhaps this is a "locational" thing ???

Google, Filehippo.com, who ??? Someone has been compromised somehow.

Like you, Whiteshark, your screen-shot depicts what I always see when I turn off Ad Blocker in IE7Pro.

Notice the difference in the font from "tcoffeep" 's screen-shot of the words "Ads by Google".

Perhaps this is a "locational" thing ???

Google, Filehippo.com, who ??? Someone has been compromised somehow.

Yep, this is the blocked URL http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js

Some kind of localization is possible.

Indeed, browsing the Internet i get a lot of pretty young women all wanting

know me better. Moreover, all them are always living very close to me :lol:

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

For me the left side "Ads by Google" are blocked by:

127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com <== hpHOST HOSTS file

127.0.0.1 tags.expo9.exponential.com <== MVPS HOSTS file

t2086_cclener.png

IE7Pro user

• 3 weeks later...

@davey:

Maybe it's the way I have Firefox 3.0.3 set up? You both mentioned browsers with the Trident engine. Perhaps this could explain the difference? Or perhaps another one of my add-ons was getting in the way?

Either way, I don't usually see them. But, that is how they normally appear when I web-crawl adblock-less. (I haven't used IE since Firefox 2 :P )

@davey:

Maybe it's the way I have Firefox 3.0.3 set up? You both mentioned browsers with the Trident engine. Perhaps this could explain the difference? Or perhaps another one of my add-ons was getting in the way?

Either way, I don't usually see them. But, that is how they normally appear when I web-crawl adblock-less. (I haven't used IE since Firefox 2 :P )

What I meant by "locational" was the fact you (in Ontario) have a very different layout for Filehippo than I have and many of the others.

Mine from Filehippo.com look like this with my IE7Pro Ad-Blocker turned off (disabled).

t2199_20081101045744.png

I am not sure what may be causing the difference between what you get from Filehippo.com and what we get. Notice The font for "ads by Google" and the up and down arrows which allow the user to roll the ads up and down to see more ads if you can believe it. :P We show 5 advertisers where you only show 1. Of course that 1 ad is very strategically placed to where a user might think they are supposed to click on that in order to download CCleaner. This is by "DESIGN" not accidental. It is a very deceptive practice and it ticks me off, tremendously!!! I will never buy a product from such a deceptive company !!! I go out of my way to tell others, also.

DO NOT DEAL WITH SUCH COMPANIES. Would you trust the Registry software or any software from such companies ? I certainly would not.

I like my upgrade FileHippo page better

t2201_filehippo.png

This is with the HOSTS file and IE8 beta2 on my old PIII system.

IE7Pro user

I like my upgrade FileHippo page better

t2201_filehippo.png

This is with the HOSTS file and IE8 beta2 on my old PIII system.

That's what mine looks like with Adblock Plus up. :) Minus, of course, the theme.

• 1 month later...

http://pixpipeline.com/d/c3f0e5218286.jpg < -- now

Slightly different now.