Adblock Plus vs. FlashBlock

Tom AZ

The HOSTS file is the best ad blocker for me and it does not consume system resources nor is browser dependent.

HOSTS files I use:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

http://hosts-file.net/?s=Download

Managed with HostsMan and I use its HostsServer proxy to speed up browsing:

http://www.abelhadigital.com

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I use my browsers portably from a USB thumb drive to and a Hosts file does me no good there. I can easily set up exceptions with an ad blocker where the rule still blocks ads but not a specific one on a specific site. I notice no slow down at all with any of the add blockers I use in fact in my browsing is faster since the adds don't load.

The blocked adds aren't simply blocked and leave a ugly blank space where the add was. The elements are collapsed and the ugly blank spaces are removed.

As for using system resources thats a non issue. I have noticed when the add blockers are enabled I use less RAM and no change in CPU usage.

Add blockers are much easier to maintain as well. Once Ad block Plus is installed (which can be done in seconds) you add a filter and you are done. The filter updates automatically with out issue. I install ABP on friends and family's computers with FF because I know I can install and forget it and they do not need to know how to tweak anything it just works.

I agree Anthony A. I tried hosts for awhile and just found them a pain to keep up and install and such. Click, click, and adblock plus is done. And works like a charm. I never get ads. Ever. :)

• Moderators
Once you install Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper, does it just do its thing like Adblock Plus -- or do you have to tinker with it?

You must tinker with it to hide things you don't want to see on a page. What you decide to block gets added into AdBlock Plus. In some instances you'll have to refresh the page to notice any changes, in some cases you'll even need to delete the browser cache and reload the page.

For example blocking a big section on the right hand side that houses ad's; you can hide those whole areas on some pages.

It has a built-in preview, so you should make sure needed things on a page aren't inadvertently blocked. Of course if you block something needed on a page you can use the built-in search function in AdBlock Plus to find the site and remove any personally made blocking done with the Element Hiding Helper.

Do the Firefox add-ons Adblock Plus and FlashBlock do essentially the same thing? Can they be used together -- or should it be one or the other?

Hi Guys ... been awhile :)

Adblock Plus blocks scripts, frames, images and flash that are ads while Flashblock blocks ALL flash but allows you to turn them on. Flashblock will not remove the space that the flash is in while ABP will.

The Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper is great but it takes a little getting used to. The element needs to be targeted as to not remove more than you want ... and because the same "element names" in the html code can be used for different things. It is not like just blocking a unique address like the regular adblocking rules are. Element-hiding is great for removing spaces and blocking text ads and other miscellaneous elements that you don't want on a page.

Hope that helps.