avast! 4.8

craigathus

OK before I start playing around with any settings :mellow: , I thought I better ask :lol:

1st Provider> Instant Messaging...I don't use any IM program.

2nd Provider> Outlook/Exchange...I don't think I have it? It's not Outlook Express is it?

3rd Provider> P2P...I dont use any such program.

Well my question is' can I simply click the (Terminate) button for each of these provider modules under provider actions?

Craig B)

I use avast! but I do use IM occasionally and Outlook Express but not Outlook so I have:

Instant Messaging set to Normal

Internet Mail to High

Network Shield set to Normal

Standard Shield set to Normal

Web Shield set to Normal

I don't have Outlook/Exchange nor P2P installed as I Terminated them ages ago and I do not see them in On-Access Protection Control

Discuss avast! in their forum:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
Well my question is' can I simply click the (Terminate) button for each of these provider modules under provider actions?

You can disable shields you don't use like IM, etc. Although I don't use any software for some of the shields I just leave them running .

Sure they're consuming RAM and resources but are you going to remember to re-enable them if you do install some IM or BitTorrent application, I surely know I'd probably forget it.

At least Network Shield and P2P Shield does not run as separate process. They don't consume that much RAM. Those are only extra modules i use.

Edit: Network Shield is HIGHLY recommened, since it:

Network Shield is a protection against known Internet worms/attacks. It analyses all network traffic and scans it for malicious contents. It can be also taken as a lightweight firewall (or more precisely, an IDS (Intrusion Detection System).

Network Shield protects you from internet worms that spread themselves via various security holes in your system. Typicaly these kind of viruses don't infect files but instead they attack running processes on your PC (either Windows components or some server programs like SQL Server, IIS etc.). These kind of attacks are not easily catched by ordinary antivirus during file or mail scanning. It is not a duplicate work with Standard Shield.

Basically, it covers all Internet worms. Such as Win32.CodeRed, Win32.SQLSlammer, Win32.Blaster, in32.Welchia (Nachi) and Win32.Sasser.

Thanks guys ;)

I'll terminate the 3 modules that I mentioned.

I have no need or reason to use any software apps that those modules provide protection for.

Craig B)

Network Shield is HIGHLY recommened, since it:

Network Shield is a protection against known Internet worms/attacks. It analyses all network traffic and scans it for malicious contents. It can be also taken as a lightweight firewall (or more precisely, an IDS (Intrusion Detection System).

Network Shield protects you from internet worms that spread themselves via various security holes in your system. Typicaly these kind of viruses don't infect files but instead they attack running processes on your PC (either Windows components or some server programs like SQL Server, IIS etc.). These kind of attacks are not easily catched by ordinary antivirus during file or mail scanning. It is not a duplicate work with Standard Shield.

Basically, it covers all Internet worms. Such as Win32.CodeRed, Win32.SQLSlammer, Win32.Blaster, in32.Welchia (Nachi) and Win32.Sasser.[/i]

I seems to me that it would be a good idea to set the Sensitivity to High instead of Normal on Network Shield, you agree?

• Moderators
I seems to me that it would be a good idea to set the Sensitivity to High instead of Normal on Network Shield, you agree?

I've did that in the past myself, with no ill effects but then again Avast never warned me of anything either. I would think setting it to High would increase the chance of a false positive. I have all the shields set at the Normal level.

I've did that in the past myself, with no ill effects but then again Avast never warned me of anything either. I would think setting it to High would increase the chance of a false positive. I have all the shields set at the Normal level.

Andavari. you have a good point about false positives being more likely with the Sensitivity set to high. I'll set it back to Normal.

• 10 months later...

Although it is not quite relevant to the initial post, I feel that the following has some importance when relating to the providers:

I have the web provider (set :normal) jumping daily from 14MB to 69MB !!!! with no abnormal usage and no questionable sites surfing.

I`ve posted in their forum and no rational response delivered by the team , and yes I know it is a free product but never the less, you should now that if you are low on resources, it could be an issue.

I personally solved it by deactivating and activating the web shield again.

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Avast doesn't seem to have an option to 'Heal File/s' on detection of an infection.... am I missing something here coz I haven't come across it apart from its suggestions to 'move to virus vault' and 'delete'

Yes I've just starting to use Avast again and thats something I miss repairing a file rather that deleting it. If it can't be repaired them fair enough. I had a Malware in one and it deleted it. I've had this file your years. I have a backup file.

Another thing I hate is after it does a full scan you don't get a report it just closes. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Yes I've just starting to use Avast again and thats something I miss repairing a file rather that deleting it. If it can't be repaired them fair enough. I had a Malware in one and it deleted it. I've had this file your years. I have a backup file.

Another thing I hate is after it does a full scan you don't get a report it just closes. ;)

It does have a report if you configure it :

Go to settings>Report file>Mark =create report file and choose what ever you want in the log record.

It also has a sort of file repairing system called VRDB:

Help file >Healing> the second one is VRDB it is self explanatory....that is if you care to read it of course.... ;)

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

It does have a report if you configure it :

Go to settings>Report file>Mark =create report file and choose what ever you want in the log record.

I've seen that option and told it where to make the report but it doesn't.

It also has a sort of file repairing system called VRDB:

Help file >Healing> the second one is VRDB it is self explanatory....that is if you care to read it of course.... ;)

I've add a quick read of VRDB (Virus Recovery Database) but there is no reference to the problems I've stated. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Ok I've joined the Avast forum and asked about this question. It appears you have to open Program Settings and in the Common section put a tick in Show results of Explorer Extension. Then you get a messagebox of the results. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators
Ok I've joined the Avast forum and asked about this question. It appears you have to open Program Settings and in the Common section put a tick in Show results of Explorer Extension. Then you get a messagebox of the results. ;)

That works for the right click scanner via Windows Explorer. It's also very useful if using that command line compatible scanner via batch files.

Avast does have an automatic "heal" option, but only when configuring it to do a boot time scan, but you really have to be careful with how you configure an AV app to deal with infections especially if it gives a false positive and removes a perfectly clean file like a needed Windows system file that the operating system needs to function.