after using CCleaner, my broswer experience is very slow

admsupport

Hi, here I come again...

I have a new question.

After running CCleaner, it appears that my browsing experience is VERY slow (using both IE 8 beta 2 & FF3).

I'd like to know if any of you has experienced a slow browsing experience after using CCleaner (deleting the index.dat file) or not?

According to my knowledge, the index.dat files is in no way connected to a browser's cache, but just a hidden directory, hence its deletion should not affect the browsing speed.

Thanks

• Moderators

Deleting Internet Explorer's index.dat file like you've stated won't effect your browsing speed.

It could be an issue with your Internet connection. Typically when mine goes to an annoyingly slow state I try out three things:

1. Restart Windows to see if that fixes it, if it doesn't work I move on to #2:

2. Use this command in a command prompt to release and renew the IP address:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

if that also fails I move on to #3:

3. Unplug the modem from it's electrical connection, wait about one minute, then plug it back in.

• Moderators

Well, browsing is initially slow after a clean as all the guff on frequently used pages has to be downloaded again instead of being retrieved from temp internet files, but I suspect you're knowlegeable enough to know that.

Deleting Internet Explorer's index.dat file like you've stated won't effect your browsing speed.

It could be an issue with your Internet connection. Typically when mine goes to an annoyingly slow state I try out three things:

1. Restart Windows to see if that fixes it, if it doesn't work I move on to #2:

2. Use this command in a command prompt to release and renew the IP address:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

if that also fails I move on to #3:

3. Unplug the modem from it's electrical connection, wait about one minute, then plug it back in.

I agree with you both.

Andavari, your three steps are exactly what is needed after a complete CCleaner cleaning.

The order is exact also in my experience. Usually step number 1 is all that is needed.

I would suggest prior to the CCleaner run a quick file "defrag" also. This makes more large chunks of "free space" available after the CCleaner run. This gives better performance after the "reboot" of browsers,caches, etc.

:) davey

I would suggest prior to the CCleaner run a quick file "defrag"

Do you mean "partition, volume or disk" defragmentation? It this case, it is best practice to remove the files from the system BEFORE a defragmentation.

Thanks to all for your answers.

It was probably a conjunction between a temporary slow connection and the reconstruction of the index.dat in IE? Problem seems solved at this day, although browsing a similar web content is still a bit slower using Firefox than IE.

I'd like to know from the readers of this thread if, in a way or another (that can be a fact or a simple impression), they have experienced some slowness loading web pages in their browsers soon after a full cleaning using CCleaner.

Mark

• Moderators
have experienced some slowness loading web pages in their browsers soon after a full cleaning using CCleaner.

Never to my knowledge. Typically I think it's either ISP or website congestion related. Don't forget websites also run maintenance periodically which will mean they'll run slowly for some time, or not be available at all.

• 10 years later...

In my case, after restart, my browser session is still grinding.  For example, if I have two browser tabs open and I click on the inactive one to make it active, nothing happens...just freezes.  Maybe two minutes later the tab becomes active.  

• Moderators

If you have allot of add-ons/plug-ins installed in your browser try the browser with them disabled.

Might also happen if your boot drive is a mechanical hard drive and if you've just started Windows because even after the desktop is available Windows (at least on Windows 10) it's still loading everything in the background which could take a few minutes to complete on a mechanic hard drive, and subsequently opening a web browser before all that loading has finished can result into a slow experience. That slow loading disappears if the boot drive is an SSD.

That's a good call, Andavari, as I type this, the browser sessions seem to be working ok.  I have a Windows 8 OS, which may play a role?  But, yeah, after about 30 minutes after start-up it seems to be a fairly normal browsing experience.

• Moderators

I was thinking more like 5-7 minutes, 30 minutes is beyond way too long.

Something else to try would be to defragment the hard disk, after you've first verified using other disk tools that the hard disk isn't starting to fail since they all eventually will fail.

• Moderators

Just another thought TipTop.

Do you have your antivirus/antimalware set to run a scan on startup?
That can slow things down for half an hour or so, depending on what priority it has.

Or maybe something else is running at startup and using all your CPU until it's finished.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

True,
But TipTop being a new member probably searched for a problem similar, found this and didn't realise how old the thread was.

So a bit of leeway can be given for a new member.
We were all newbies to forum etiquette once.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043