Freeware!

rridgely

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BurnCDCC? from TeraByte. Makes an iso image, with verification. Quick, light, free, no install required. :P Mentioned before by acooldozen, but worth mentioning again, maybe.

Here

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 3 weeks later...

whats a good alternative to Nero? I know quite a few freeware have been mentioned but most of them don't do DVD movies, apart from that whats really important is a quick backup ( update function) which most lack ! I tried the latest CD burner XP and its update function never seems to work!?

I need a complete solution, should do DVD/CD authoring, copying, backups, and Updating the backups! so one doesn't have to physically check for new files added to a certain folder and whether or not they're included into the new project...

Simply said I would like to remove Nero off my hard disk! too slow, too weighty and quite a resource hog...

I need a complete solution, should do DVD/CD authoring, copying, backups, and Updating the backups! so one doesn't have to physically check for new files added to a certain folder and whether or not they're included into the new project...

Simply said I would like to remove Nero off my hard disk! too slow, too weighty and quite a resource hog...

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/12/a...ro-alternative/

• 2 months later...

Avast Anti-Virus

The home version is free to use after registration. They only use registration to alert you of their updates and your registration ending (1yr free registration, registerable for free every year).

http://www.avast.com

Programmers Notepad

A notepad replacement for programmers. Useful for HTML, ASP, PHP, and XML.

http://www.pnotepad.org

• 2 months later...

WriteMonkey

Fantastic notepad that blanks your screen. Just you and your words...

Also come with progress bar featuring time and word count trackers, and typewriter sounds when you type! :)

http://writemonkey.com/

YouTube Downloader

Lets you download any video of off YouTube and save it as a .swf

Converts media files to multiple extensions, including .mp3, .wmv, .swf...

http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

ISO Recorder

Improved functionality of .iso burning capabilities

Will rip from CD to .iso, burn to CD (convenient for programmers)

Helpful in creating bootable ISO's

Freeware alternative to Nero

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Of course the pen is mightier than the sword! You know who said that?

The guy with the pen.

Google Sketchup. Its a free program for 3-D modeling of houses and building and stuff but does not have it all.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Now I have Vista Home.... nice and all, but it's a hog. Are there reliable progs to speed up this thing?

And.. ccleaner is a great prog, but I want to have a cleaner registry.. any tips anyone? (a lot of progs leave junk in there when I uninstall....)

I use trillian and am pretty ok with it, but there are prolly better alternatives. I use yahoo, aim, msn, icq (and maybe more) on there.. would like to keep using that... with little or no icons on the buddy list.. keeping it clean, simple, but not TOO basic. Can anyone recommend anything? (and also tell me why it's better)

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Now I have Vista Home.... nice and all, but it's a hog. Are there reliable progs to speed up this thing?

And.. ccleaner is a great prog, but I want to have a cleaner registry.. any tips anyone? (a lot of progs leave junk in there when I uninstall....)

I use trillian and am pretty ok with it, but there are prolly better alternatives. I use yahoo, aim, msn, icq (and maybe more) on there.. would like to keep using that... with little or no icons on the buddy list.. keeping it clean, simple, but not TOO basic. Can anyone recommend anything? (and also tell me why it's better)

Firstly, cleaning your registry will do little, and more likely nothing, to speed up your system. Check what programs are running in the background - any that are unneeded, any that are resource heavy like antivirus etc that may have lighter alternatives. How much RAM have you got?

For a chat client you may want to look at Miranda, especially from a performance point of view, as it uses next to nothing in terms of computer resources. It may take a little tweaking to get it looking and functioning how you prefer (eg some minor functions like smileys may require an additional plugin available from their site) but well worth the time.

You can try disabling the visual effects if you want performance over appearance.

Right click Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > hit the Advanced tab> under Performance choose Settings > tick adjust for best performance and OK. That should make the PC look like Windows 98 though but faster.

Registry cleaners should be handled with care. In terms of other free registry cleaners, one that I would consider just a bit safer than most of the other registry cleaners I've used is Advanced SystemCare 3.5. Its basically a bundle of tweaking applications for speeding up the PC.

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Firstly, cleaning your registry will do little, and more likely nothing, to speed up your system. Check what programs are running in the background - any that are unneeded, any that are resource heavy like antivirus etc that may have lighter alternatives. How much RAM have you got?

For a chat client you may want to look at Miranda, especially from a performance point of view, as it uses next to nothing in terms of computer resources. It may take a little tweaking to get it looking and functioning how you prefer (eg some minor functions like smileys may require an additional plugin available from their site) but well worth the time.

I have 3gb of ram... so that should be enough.

As for programs.. how will I know which are needed? I mean, this is a laptop, so I assume it'll run more processes than a regular desktop... (see the two attachments.. if this board will let me do that)

After all, just 1.35Gb to run the OS and a few progs.. that's a LOT.. (or is that normal for Vista?)

I have to admit.. I have Aero running.. and would like to keep that, and have the shadow under the mouse, shadow under the text of the icons on the desktop, but I turned everything else off already...

post-36181-1268699647_thumb.jpg post-36181-1268699671_thumb.jpg

I have 3gb of ram... so that should be enough.

As for programs.. how will I know which are needed? I mean, this is a laptop, so I assume it'll run more processes than a regular desktop... (see the two attachments.. if this board will let me do that)

Google them and decide if you need them. Aero does use quite alot of resources, you say you've got 3Gb RAM but is the processor and gfx card up to running aero? Have you tried disabling it to see if that's what's bogging your system down? (it would be my prime suspect)

I'm not familiar with what processes run in Vista normally but 68-70 running processes seems a lot (my laptop currently has 24 on XP). There are only a few shown in that screenshot (only 25 or so of the 68 it says are running) but there's certainly some that are at least candidates for disabling - eg:

does Carbonite NEED to be running constantly?

Toshiba Service Station?

Toshiba Flash Cards?

Synaptics Touchpad Enhancements (Do you use the additional pad functions?)

ConfigFree Task Tray?

ConfigFree Switch Manager?

WebShots? (a quick Google suggests this phones home alot)

HDAudio Control Panel?

Toshiba Power Saver?

Now I'm NOT saying you should go and disable all of them, they are just the ones which I would be looking at disabling if it was my system (most will probably be running at startup so you can try disabling via MSConfig or CCleaner's Tools>Startup section and they can easily be re-enabled if needed). Also I can't see your anti-virus listed, this could also have a slowing effect if it's Norton for example.

1.37 Gb seems a lot of memory to be using if you're 'idling'. My XP Home netbook set up uses about 0.5 Gb idling, and I'm not shy of appropriate start-up software either. Your second screenshot shows 70 processes, which is nowhere near what's listed in the first screenshot. Try listing the processes for all users - that will show some of the system processes that have started. There may be some other programs or services there that you can can do without. As JDPower says, don't go overboard; think carefully about what you realistically need.

You might like to try something like Autoruns from (Microsoft) Sysinternals which will allow you to disable your start-up entries and then easily re-enable them if you need to ... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

And if you're up for it, their Process Explorer is like Task Manager on steroids ... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Edited to add, since we're somewhat off-topic, the above two bits of software are way up there on my freeware list!!!

1.37 Gb seems a lot of memory to be using if you're 'idling'. My XP Home netbook set up uses about 0.5 Gb idling, and I'm not shy of appropriate start-up software either. Your second screenshot shows 70 processes, which is nowhere near what's listed in the first screenshot. Try listing the processes for all users - that will show some of the system processes that have started. There may be some other programs or services there that you can can do without. As JDPower says, don't go overboard; think carefully about what you realistically need.

You might like to try something like Autoruns from (Microsoft) Sysinternals which will allow you to disable your start-up entries and then easily re-enable them if you need to ... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

And if you're up for it, their Process Explorer is like Task Manager on steroids ... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Edited to add, since we're somewhat off-topic, the above two bits of software are way up there on my freeware list!!!

True, but you're running XP.. Vista just 'consumes' (nicely said) resources.. a lot more than XP.

However, I turned a few things off. I found Adobe stuff running that I killed and I turned off Toshiba service station. The other ones I didn't want to remove; I checked out some info online about them and they usually adviced not to turn those off...

When I look at the other stuff that was running, most of the stuff was MS related. I saw one that took a lot, but got mixed reviews on it. It was MsMpEng.exe (antimalware service executable) that eats 55mb... Do you guys have any useful info on this?

Same with SearchIndexer.. takes 9.5mb, while I turned all the indexing stuff off (afaik). Any info on that one?

Thanks so far!

<b>Unreal Commander</b>

<a href="http://x-diesel.com/index.php" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://x-diesel.com/index.php</a>?

A file manager.

'Unreal Commander's characteristics:

* Two-panel interface

* UNICODE support

* Extended search of files

* Multi-rename tool

* Synchronization of directories

* Support of archives ZIP, RAR, ACE, CAB, JAR, TAR, LHA, GZ, TGZ, ARJ

* Built-in FTP client

* Folder tabs

* Support of WLX-plugins and WCX-plugins

* Build-in viewer and quick view function

* Network support

* Drag and Drop Support

* History and Hotlist functions

* Сopy/move/delete files background mode support

* Deleting files with WIPE

* Background pictures support

* Visual styles: color categories of files, fonts for all interface elements

* and more. '

BinText - 'It can extract text from any kind of file and includes the ability to find plain ASCII text, Unicode (double byte ANSI) text and Resource strings, providing useful information for each item in the optional "advanced" view mode. Its comprehensive filtering helps prevent unwanted text being listed. The gathered list can be searched and saved to a separate file as either a plain text file or in informative tabular format.' One of Foundstones programs.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Photo! Editor

Its a very good free picture editor program. Not perfect but has done quite an excellent job for me. I used it as a replacement for Windows Live Photo Gallery.

It has the ability to remove red eye, crop, adjust coloring, resize, denoise, deblur, beautify, adjust lighting and even warp parts of the picture.

You also have the ability to save the edited picture as a new file or let it overwrite the original.

Worth a look this one Ishi. Thanks for sharing.

:)

I think their website also offers a few services to enhance, edit and just have fun with your pictures too.