Freeware!

rridgely

• Moderators
Can anyone tell me the procedure they follow to rip DVD's in version 0.9?

I don't have the foggiest idea how to rip DVDs with VLC, in fact I didn't even know it could do that.

If you're wanting to encode your DVDs to say an AVI file FairUse Wizard 1.0 (Last Freeware Uncrippled Version) has to be amongst the easiest to use, just grab the updated Koepi Xvid with it and use the external Xvid instead of the internal one, wouldn't hurt to update LAME in it either for the newest version available.

If that's not what you're wanting to do and instead want to go from DVD Video to DVD Video there's other software for that such as DVDFab (free edition), DVD Shrink (last and final version), and DVD Decrypter (last and final version).

I don't have the foggiest idea how to rip DVDs with VLC, in fact I didn't even know it could do that.

Here's one link explaining how to do it with VLC. http://www.wikihow.com/Rip-a-DVD (scroll down past the section about DVD Decrypter.) There are several YouTube videos as well. The problem is they're all based on using a non-current version of VLC and, based on my efforts, the newest version (0.9) behaves differently.

• Moderators

Don't forget when Sony was giving away Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. ;)

I wish I had a decent game controller for the PC, because your racing game recommendation looks good after I looked around on the site, that and I enjoy race car games especially if their more simulation versus arcade.

I wish I had a decent game controller for the PC, because your racing game recommendation looks good after I looked around on the site, that and I enjoy race car games especially if their more simulation versus arcade.

I haven't got a game controller, only a keyboard. Works fine with this game.

And in addition; I was n?ver into pc-games untill I discovered this one.. I think you should try it out. Izza FREE!! :P

For the sake of being informed about what you're installing read up on the dubious Starforce copy protection installed with Trackmania:

Starforce is a software copy protection tool installed by PC game publishers, which is designed to prevent the casual copying of retail CDROM applications. It installs as a hidden device driver, without the end-user's knowledge or consent.

The Starforce drivers are often linked to system instability and computer crashes. If these problems occur, the end-user would be unware as to the cause of the problem, and would be helpless to solve the problem.

Moreover, the Starforce drivers, installed on your system, grant ring 0 (system level) privileges to any code under the ring 3 (user level) privileges. Thus, any virus or trojan can get OS privileges and totally control your system. Since Windows 2000, the Windows line security and stability got enhanced by separating those privileges, but with the Starforce drivers, the old system holes and instabilities are back and any program (or virus) can reach the core of your system by using the Starforce drivers as a backdoor.

LINK

For the sake of being informed about what you're installing read up on the dubious Starforce copy protection installed with Trackmania:

LINK

Thanks for the info but..

Izza FREE!! :P

Besides I can't find Trackmania Nations Forever ?r TM United Forever(the payed version) in the list of games using the copy-protection..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wipe

Wipe - is a free, easy and powerful tool to clear user browsing history, clean index.dat files, remove cookies, cache, logs, delete temporary internet files, autocomplete search history and any other tracks that user leaves after using PC. No user documents deleted, just tracks that computer records about your activity without your permission!

Wipe includes DODD 5220.22 (Gutmann, Russian GOST) algorithms that makes deleted tracks unrecoverable. Even more! Wipe will shred file names of deleted items so noone will be able even guess what you did on your PC!

http://privacyroot.com/software/WIPE-info.php

Wipe

Wipe - is a free, easy and powerful tool to clear user browsing history, clean index.dat files, remove cookies, cache, logs, delete temporary internet files, autocomplete search history and any other tracks that user leaves after using PC. No user documents deleted, just tracks that computer records about your activity without your permission!

Wipe includes DODD 5220.22 (Gutmann, Russian GOST) algorithms that makes deleted tracks unrecoverable. Even more! Wipe will shred file names of deleted items so noone will be able even guess what you did on your PC!

So basically the same as CCleaner then :huh: (Although given the past history of rival product posts being deleted I wouldn't be surprised if the post disappears soon anyway)

• Moderators
So basically the same as CCleaner then :huh: (Although given the past history of rival product posts being deleted I wouldn't be surprised if the post disappears soon anyway)

I noticed a Register button in the screenshot on their site, and then when clicking Register on their website it looks like they want $9.95 for it. So how is it "free" then I wonder.

I noticed a Register button in the screenshot on their site, and then when clicking Register on their website it looks like they want $9.95 for it. So how is it "free" then I wonder.

The main program is free (I just tried it out) but you have to register for access to the secure delete functions. Didn't really offer much additional cleaning to CCleaner though did find an additional Flash Player folder that it cleaned that CC doesn't (C:\Documents and Settings\****\Application Data\Adobe\Flash Player\AssetCache)

There's some additional cleaning, i noticed. But there's also some stuff, that shouldn't be cleaned; like some Winamp media library files. If you remove, it restores the library view, for example.

Good practice with unsure files, is to first manually delete them to recycle bin. Then you can open whatever program and see what has changed. If there's unwanted changes, you can restore those files from recycle bin.

• 2 weeks later...

"Peek" by Martin Lubich helps you view the contents of binary files. Its light and runs quick, doesn't gum up the registry, uninstalls from add/remove. Its about 12 kb zipped and about 26 kb extracted. The zip file contains information and installation instructions. Adds a right click option to the shell context menu. I've used it for couple of years, no problems. :) I thought it was already mentioned on this forum, but can't find it. So here:

Edit 13 Jan 2010: Links went obsolete. The author granted permission to use it for free.

The program is attached to this post and will maybe soon be hosted on the author's site: www.loramel.net.

Its also available from mediafire thanks to Andavari: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=26111&hl=

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Kantaris Media Player:

Kantaris can play almost anything you can throw at it -- AVI, MPEG, MGEG-AVC, WMV, MOV, MKV, quicktime, matroska, divx, xvid, H264, MP3, WMA, OGG files and more. Kantaris can also play DVDs and audio CDs. The player also displays some of the most beautiful music visualizations ever seen. All this is completely free.

Link: www.kantaris.org

Note: I haven't tested it since you need .NET Framework installed to run it, and I don't want to install .NET Framework unless it's absolutely necessary.

"Peek" by Martin Lubich helps you view the contents of binary files. Its light and runs quick, doesn't gum up the registry, uninstalls from add/remove. Adds a right click option to the shell context menu. I've used it for couple of years, no problems. :)

I thought it was already mentioned on this forum, but can't find it. So here:

Some explanation and download links at:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microso...Q_20847119.html

and at

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-...t-extractor.htm

Thanks! Very good for tracing some unknown files, and get a good inside look.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry if i repeat anything above. Here's all I need to use my computer:

Ubuntu

ubuntu.com *open source*

Ubuntu is a version (distribution) of Linux, it is therefore an alternative OS (alternative to MS Windows). It is easy to install, and unlike Windows it is fully customizable. It, as a distribution of Linux, is the safest OS, therefore it does not need an anti virus program. It rarely ever crashes, users have used it up to 11 years without rebooting.

Opera

opera.com

Opera is a free browser, that is in my opinion the fastest, most reliable and the most comfortable browserin the world of the Internet. Opera used to be adware but now it is freeware. Opera features a pop-up blocker, a tabbing-enabled interface, a speed dial, and full customizability

Mozilla Firefox *open source*

mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox

Firefox is not as fast as opera but it is freeware and open source, it is with one of the safest browsers out there. An advantawge to opera is that it is more customizable.

VideoLAN VLC media player

videolan.org/vlc

The VLC media player plays almost any video or audio format, even damaged files can be played. It can also play downloaded youtube videos. It's interface is slim, it doesn't have a media library, standard it only has a reverse, forward, play and pause botton as well as volume control.

7-zip *open source*

7-zip.org

Z-zip can compress files using different compression algorhytms. It's standart algorythm, 7z, claims to be the most efficient. It can also decompress most formats, it can even decompress installer files.

Note that all of the above programs also work on Ubuntu, the open source & freeware OS.

These programs are the standard programs i install on all of my PC's.

PC Specs: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (2x 3GHz), 1GB RAM, 500GB internal HDD & 500 GB external HDD (both kinda full)

Laptop Specs: eeePC 1000HE, Ubuntu 9.4 (OS), Intel Atom 1.66 GHz (2x 1.66GHz), 1GB RAM, 160GB Interal HDD

What I support: GNU, Free Software Foundation, Ubuntu (Linux-based free Operating system)

It, as a distribution of Linux, is the safest OS, therefore it does not need an anti virus program.

Sorry, but this is wrong. The only reason you don't need an anti-virus on Linux is because there are only a few virus for Linux.

Secunia says Linux Kernel 2.6 has 342 vulnerabilities. 6% of those are unpatched...

Piriform French translator

I'm sorry if this has been posted, not read all pages.

KMPlayer is an excellent video and audio player which i as well as a lot of others(but not all) think it has the edge over vlc player.

I wont go into the vlc vs kmplayer discussion as thats not what here is for. Both players are great.

http://kmplayer.en.softonic.com/

No fate but what we make

Opera

opera.com

Opera is a free browser, that is in my opinion the fastest, most reliable and the most comfortable browserin the world of the Internet. Opera used to be adware but now it is freeware. Opera features a pop-up blocker, a tabbing-enabled interface, a speed dial, and full customizability

Opera did used to contain an advertising window, but I don't think "adware" is the best term to use. Adware is usually used to describe those pesky apps that are installed on your computer without your knowledge or permission, and cause pop-up ads and other hassles.

I agree that Opera is the best browser though, with Firefox close behind.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png