Freeware!

rridgely

• Moderators
J-Zip better than 7-Zip base on 7-Zip not so hard to work :rolleyes:[ www.jZip.com ] PS min Win XP SP2

Probably good albeit the Softpedia.com review of it mentions some bugs, and lack of documentation. In their limited documentation on their website they don't state if it has command line support via a command prompt or scripts.

Speaking of 7-Zip; I've never seen an archiver updated as frequently as it, and it has a small installer, and even a portable version available from PortableApps.com. Even the current 7-Zip 4.56 beta is seemingly running very stable.

Speaking of 7-Zip; I've never seen an archiver updated as frequently as it, and it has a small installer, and even a portable version available from PortableApps.com. Even the current 7-Zip 4.56 beta is seemingly running very stable.

I use 7 Zip 4.42 and that is the stable non beta release and it was released in in May 2006. They haven't released a final version in a long time now. Maybe they update the beta often.

Does anyone know of a good freebie that cleans/deletes the IE index.dat files AND also clears the "search history" from the IE url address bar, among other things? While I have seen many freebies that can clean/delete the index.dat files, I have not yet come across a solution for clearing the search history from the IE url address bar. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Bumped in to this one: http://www.glaryutilities.com/gu.html

Don't know if it's any good, cause haven't downloaded it. It looks pretty nice, though.

Glary Utilities offers numerous powerful and easy-to-use system tools and utilities to fix, speed up, maintain and protect your PC.

gu.gif

• Moderators
The full version was given away on Giveaway of the Day and caused quite a few problems for users. I certainly found it wanting to do some bad stuff, can't remember precisely what but was very unimpressed.

Ditto! It wasn't worth the trouble.

BurnAware v0.9

I found this program a few days ago I have made all types of CD's and DVD's with it although it lacks a few features it seem the author is working on making it better all the time BurnAware Free Edition is a lightweight, extremely powerful and easy to use burning application for burning and mastering CD, DVD, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD media, which is suitable for both beginners and power users.

The free Edition supports all types of optical storage media (including CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, BD-R/RE, HD-DVD-R/RW and DVD-RAM) as well as a wide variety of burning hardware. BurnAware Free Edition v0.9 beta now has Audio CD and DVD-Video files burning support.

http://www.glorylogic.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Heres more freeware!

Spider Media player..... really low on resources, non taxing on mem, its great!

SG TCP Optimiser .... great freeware to optimise MTU ..

sorry guys couldn't really post the sites but google it for now and I'll do the needful when I find more time....

• Moderators

Seems I might be wrong about my faith in Softpedia, although I've never seen anyone on here disagree with any software they've put their name to. ;)

I think the home site is worth a look, and I've been listening to this player all night.

I find it really good. Mem useage is around the 3mb mark. Rivals Foobar on that score although I wouldn't change Foobar for it, and the playback and features are excellent.

Of course I'm trying it under Returnil, and I'll scan before I reboot to see what pops up.

If anyones interested, I'll let you know. Maybe they have cleaned their act up. Site Advisor could be out of date, as the red flagged items were previous versions.

EDIT: 19/12/07. Although there doesn't seem to be any interest, IMHO Softpedia have this application rightly flagged as free from spyware etc.. Scanned the installation package, and then with every virus/spyware program I have, and nothing.

any practical advantage between Avant and Maxthon browser atall?? ( question to anybody who uses one and has tried the other before ..)

What are the security issues?? IE7 has security updates, apart from the fact that cumulative updates are really gonna bloat this browser over time.... if not as it is!

Would CCleaner be able to handle other browsers like AVant and Maxthon?? if so how could I clear the temp and dat files as in the IE case ....

Didn't notice these-

Sam Spade - originally designed to track down spammers, many other uses though. Don't know what is going on with the main site.

Cain & Abel - "It allows easy recovery of various kind of passwords by sniffing the network, cracking encrypted passwords using Dictionary, Brute-Force and Cryptanalysis attacks, recording VoIP conversations, decoding scrambled passwords, recovering wireless network keys, revealing password boxes, uncovering cached passwords and analyzing routing protocols."

Nmap - "utility for network exploration or security auditing" must-have.

Ultima Port Scanner & Traceroute - names say it all

Foundstone Network Security - free network/security tools.

OllyDbg - "OllyDbg is a 32-bit assembler level analysing debugger for Microsoft? Windows?. Emphasis on binary code analysis makes it particularly useful in cases where source is unavailable. OllyDbg is a shareware, but you can download and use it for free."

SuperScan - "Powerful TCP port scanner, pinger, resolver."

Zhorn Software -Useful freeware.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

For sticky notes I use this one. Hott Notes

Looks pretty decent but takes twice the memory of Stickynotes. I really like the opacity setting of Hott notes. But then it lacks "stick notes to screen edges and each other" option, which I also find very important.

Edit:

Ok, the Stickynotes also has transparency in the settings. Just didn't notice that before :)