CCleaner wont remove acropdf.dll and acroIEhelper.dll

crazy_1

• Moderators

If they're Active X they may be resident via Internet Explorer. ;)

You could try this in Internet Explorer's Internet Properties ("Internet Options"):

1. Right click the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop and selecting Properties.
    -or-
    Go into Control Panel and click Internet Options.
  2. In Internet Explorer's Internet Properties go into the Programs tab, then click Manage add-ons.
  3. In Manage add-ons highlight the Adobe Active X you want to get rid of then click the Delete button. Perhaps reboot afterwards to see if that helps.

If they're Active X they may be resident via Internet Explorer. ;)

You could try this in Internet Explorer's Internet Properties ("Internet Options"):

1. Right click the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop and selecting Properties.

-or-

Go into Control Panel and click Internet Options.

2. In Internet Explorer's Internet Properties go into the Programs tab, then click Manage add-ons.

3. In Manage add-ons highlight the Adobe Active X you want to get rid of then click the Delete button. Perhaps reboot afterwards to see if that helps.

That did not work. the delete button will not work.

I tried regedit for these but did not work , will not let me delete.

Thanks but is there any other way to get rid of these?.

If you cant delete a key in regedit then it would seem like a permission issue. Are you cleaning up after an uninstall of Reader? Since we are talking about DLL addins (and not OCX), Im pretty sure you can only disable them via the IE manage addons.

http://browsers.about.com/od/internetexplo...ie7addons_5.htm

Additionaly I dont see how/why CC would remove files and unregister the type lib's. Is this issue related to the uninstall section in CC under Tools?

• Moderators

I've just deleted both of those objects from "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX" using Unlocker.

Unlocker:

Edit:

Before I tried this, I copied the files to another folder with no problems. But Damn, I couldn't copy or move them back again, even with Unlocker and a reboot.

Time for a first run out for my BartPE CD. And from within its virtual environment, I moved them back again. Worth it's weight in gold this CD.

That was fun. :)

If you cant delete a key in regedit then it would seem like a permission issue. Are you cleaning up after an uninstall of Reader? Since we are talking about DLL addins (and not OCX), Im pretty sure you can only disable them via the IE manage addons.

http://browsers.about.com/od/internetexplo...ie7addons_5.htm

Additionaly I dont see how/why CC would remove files and unregister the type lib's. Is this issue related to the uninstall section in CC under Tools?

Yes under tools uninstall . i am sure these are left over from old programs.

I tried to go to manage addons , but the button to disable will not work.

Here is what I found on Adobes site. A method to manually uninstall Reader. Look over the section "Manually remove Adobe Reader". You might be able to skip to step 5. If you can't delete PDF.ocx or AcroIEHelper.dll, complete the following procedure...

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...ternalId=327675

Just replace the version number of reader in the instructions with the version you were attempting to uninstall. For example, if you uninstalled Reader 7 then the path would be: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\ActiveX

I've just deleted both of those objects from "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX" using Unlocker.

Unlocker:

Edit:

Before I tried this, I copied the files to another folder with no problems. But Damn, I couldn't copy or move them back again, even with Unlocker and a reboot.

Time for a first run out for my BartPE CD. And from within its virtual environment, I moved them back again. Worth it's weight in gold this CD.

That was fun. :)

Thanks everyone for your help on this matter.

But i am lost when it comes to understanding cmd's

I have tried this but it's too much for me with my limited knowledge. is there an easy way to do this?.

• Moderators

Well, I dunno if I'm missing something here, but the two .dll files can be deleted with Unlocker.

t385_Unlocker.jpg

If you want to do it this way, install Unlocker from the link above, and it will appear in your Windows Explorer right click menu.

I right clicked on the arrowed file, the Unlocker window pops up, and I selected in the drop down menu, "Delete", and then OK. Both the files you posted about were deleted with no problem.

If there's some reason why this isn't a viable method, I'd be happy to be enlightened.

Well, I dunno if I'm missing something here, but the two .dll files can be deleted with Unlocker.

t385_Unlocker.jpg

If you want to do it this way, install Unlocker from the link above, and it will appear in your Windows Explorer right click menu.

I right clicked on the arrowed file, the Unlocker window pops up, and I selected in the drop down menu, "Delete", and then OK. Both the files you posted about were deleted with no problem.

If there's some reason why this isn't a viable method, I'd be happy to be enlightened.

Hello,

Thanks for your help. I am using firefox not IE . and i am seeing different screens than what you show on the above

post.

I have unlocker installed.

Please tell me the path you took to get to those folders.

Thankyou.

• Moderators

If you look at Dennis's screenshot, above the file the red arrow is pointing to, there is an address.

C\Program files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX

(Forgive me if you already know how to get there)

If using xp, double click on 'my computer',

double click on C drive

double click on program files

double click on Adobe

double click on acrobat

double click on activeX

You should now be there, at that address. :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hazels right, but I think you misunderstand.

That is Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. It's what you use from your start menu to access My Computer etc. Don't worry, if I'm right, you're not the first to mix them up. :)

We all started out like a Columbus or Magellan to learn new things and to Boldly go where no man has gone before

The Windows key ( the one to the right of the left Ctrl key with the Windows flag on it ) depressed with the E key quickly starts Windows Explorer.

Windows Key Shortcuts:

http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/key

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

If you look at Dennis's screenshot, above the file the red arrow is pointing to, there is an address.

C\Program files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX

(Forgive me if you already know how to get there)

If using xp, double click on 'my computer',

double click on C drive

double click on program files

double click on Adobe

double click on acrobat

double click on activeX

You should now be there, at that address. :)

OK , thanks for the help. now i got to program files and adobe is not there.!!

Where did it go?. What now?.

• Moderators
Go down one more folder inside Program Files. Find the "Common Files" folder.

Whoops!! Sorry Crazy I missed out Common Files in my address instructions.

That's what you get for trying to give instructions while preparing dinner!!

Hope you managed it now.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Whoops!! Sorry Crazy I missed out Common Files in my address instructions.

That's what you get for trying to give instructions while preparing dinner!!

Hope you managed it now.

Thanks for your help.

Adobe is not listed in common files.

I wish i knew more about computers, what knowledge i do have i learned on my own.

it seems the only place i find this is in the registry.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{05BDF3F1......... (Acropdf.dll

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{5F226421-415D-....... AcroIEhelper.dll

I tried to delete these but no go regedit will not let me.

What Now.?

Thanks for your help.

Adobe is not listed in common files.

I wish i knew more about computers, what knowledge i do have i learned on my own.

What Now.?

Do not forget. Sometimes the browser etc. must be closed before you do some of these things.

The miserable thing is Adobe itself. :o

I am new to PCs less than 1 year but I am catching on to certain things.

If Adobe wants to maintain their market share they better fix these past sins or else.

:) davey

• Moderators

What Now.?

We've all got to learn sometime, and this forum is where quite a few people on here got, and are still getting, their computer education. Including yours truly.

I don't know enough about the registry to be sure, but if those files are not in what I believe is the default folder, then the reg entries could just be leftovers.

You could try deleting those entries in Safe Mode. If this is new to you, then trying it will be an exercise into a feature of Windows well worth knowing how to use.

A link to a "how to" web page is in my signature, and you can of course use regedit in safe mode.

We've all got to learn sometime, and this forum is where quite a few people on here got, and are still getting, their computer education. Including yours truly.

I don't know enough about the registry to be sure, but if those files are not in what I believe is the default folder, then the reg entries could just be leftovers.

You could try deleting those entries in Safe Mode. If this is new to you, then trying it will be an exercise into a feature of Windows well worth knowing how to use.

A link to a "how to" web page is in my signature, and you can of course use regedit in safe mode.

Hello to all,

Thanks for your help.

This active X issue will not go away.

I have tried all suggestions giving by all of the great people here.

I do not know what else to do.

I will put this in the i can't win pile.

• Moderators
I will put this in the i can't win pile.

Not yet. I've one more thing to try. :)

Before doing this, I'd suggest making a System Restore Point, or a Registry Backup with ERUNT. Just to be safe.

After looking at the same entries in my registry, those two entries are definitely for the two .dll files in the default Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/ActiveX folder. So I'm pretty sure they are the leftovers.

However, if you are anything like me, the fact that they are still there will niggle.

Under the safety of Returnil, I've managed to delete those entries without going into safe mode. Disk4mat was really on the right track with the mention of a permissions issue.

This is the first entry.

t389_Acro1.jpg

That whole key is to do with the Adobe Active X file that's now gone, so right click on the main entry and select "permissions".

t390_Acro2.jpg

The only box checked will be "Read". Check the "Full Control" box, and hit "Apply".

t393_acro3.jpg

You should now be able to delete the entire key.

The other key is also the leftovers of the Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/ActiveX etc.

t391_Acro5.jpg

The same thing applies here. Right click the main key and select permissions.

t392_acro6.jpg

Again, check the box for "Full Control", hit "Apply".

t394_acro7.jpg

You should now be able to delete the whole key.

I hope this works for you.

Not yet. I've one more thing to try. :)

Before doing this, I'd suggest making a System Restore Point, or a Registry Backup with ERUNT. Just to be safe.

After looking at the same entries in my registry, those two entries are definitely for the two .dll files in the default Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/ActiveX folder. So I'm pretty sure they are the leftovers.

However, if you are anything like me, the fact that they are still there will niggle.

Under the safety of Returnil, I've managed to delete those entries without going into safe mode. Disk4mat was really on the right track with the mention of a permissions issue.

This is the first entry.

t389_Acro1.jpg

That whole key is to do with the Adobe Active X file that's now gone, so right click on the main entry and select "permissions".

t390_Acro2.jpg

The only box checked will be "Read". Check the "Full Control" box, and hit "Apply".

t393_acro3.jpg

You should now be able to delete the entire key.

The other key is also the leftovers of the Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/ActiveX etc.

t391_Acro5.jpg

The same thing applies here. Right click the main key and select permissions.

t392_acro6.jpg

Again, check the box for "Full Control", hit "Apply".

t394_acro7.jpg

You should now be able to delete the whole key.

I hope this works for you.

Yes Thank you Dennis D that did the trick.

the answer was in front of me all the while but did not know.

But you can not learn if you do not ask.

Thanks to all the good people of this forum.