XP to SP2 or not to SP2, that is the question?

Normandie

I know I am getting on dangerous terrritory here, but really want & need some solid advice. I am not an expert & I have ask lots of people around me, but they are not experts either, so don't know what to do about SP2. I have not made the move yet, I am still on SP1 and have had no problems or complaints. But lots of people are saying, "you really need to go to SP2".

I have heard however that computers that were bought with Windows XP -- SP2 already installed have no problems, but that a LOT of people who make the update from Windows XP SP1 to SP2 are having lots of problems.

So the question, is it really necessary & or worth the risk of having problems to update to SP2? My Dad always told me, "if it is not broke don't fix it", so I am wondering if I should just apply Dad's advice or take the leap for SP2.

Thanks for your advice,

Normandie

• Moderators

I think you should deffinately upgrade just because of the security pathces. From what I've read people who have issues updating to sp2 usually had other problems before like having lots of spyware and viruses. Also alot of the time they were using pirated copies of xp and their product key wouldnt work.

Look at everything on this page and you should be ok.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

I'm curious to hear what people like Tarun and Djlizard say but I'm sure they'll agree with me.

I think you should deffinately upgrade just because of the security pathces. From what I've read people who have issues updating to sp2 usually had other problems before like having lots of spyware and viruses. Also alot of the time they were using pirated copies of xp and their product key wouldnt work.

Look at everything on this page and you should be ok.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

I'm curious to hear what people like Tarun and Djlizard say but I'm sure they'll agree with me.

rridgely,

Thank you for your adivce. I will take the time to read the pages you pointed out and try to digest all of it before deciding. At any rate, thanks for taking the time to give me an answer & for trying to help.

Have a great day,

Normandie

Normandie, please note, I have only ever applied the SP2 update to 4 computers, 3 worked fine, the forth had problems, so I uninstalled it, just like any other program that is not wanted.

You will find an entry for it in add/remove, so go on give it a try.

SP2 is safer and more secure.? Some people actually don't like it, but I recommend it.

A word to all,

I hesitated to update to SP2 & then today I was doing an update for another program and it TOTALLY wiped out my disk. I cound not start in safe mode, could do nothing so I formatted, reinstalled Windows XP and did the update to SP2 before installing anything else and all is oging good. Just tired :blink: from having to reinstall everything and get it all set back up.

Have a good day,

Normandie

A word to all,

I hesitated to update to SP2 & then today I was doing an update for another program and it TOTALLY wiped out my disk. I cound not start in safe mode, could do nothing so I formatted, reinstalled Windows XP and did the update to SP2 before installing anything else and all is oging good. Just tired :blink: from having to reinstall everything and get it all set back up.

Have a good day,

Normandie

Was there any software that was not compatible with SP2?

I've never had any problems with SP2 on any pc I've used so far.

Was there any software that was not compatible with SP2?

I've never had any problems with SP2 on any pc I've used so far.

Tarun,

I think I did it really right by installing the SP2 update while the computer had just reinstalled Windows XP so there were no programs on it.

I installed all my software one at a time and everything is back and there were not programs that even hesitated about installing or so far running. :lol:

I guess for all bad things, the "WordPerefect update 12" messing up my HD got me to get a really clean install with SP2, so I am a happy camper for the moment.

I do have one question though. I went to download a file from a site that I know well, my business office and explorer said it blocked the site, I clicked on the link and said to download anyway and it worked. Is there a way to stop windows from doing that?

Thanks a lot,

Normandie

If your office has it blocked, then it's there for a reason.

Tarun,

Excuse me, but I guess I was not clear. It is not my office that has it blocked, but Internet Explorer that blocked the download. That is why I wondered with the new scurity features.

Thanks,

Normandie

• Moderators

Your talking about that stupid Download blocker thing. I think you can get rid of it by going to Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level. Scroll down to where it says download and choose disable automatic promting for file download.

Your talking about that stupid Download blocker thing. I think you can get rid of it by going to Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level. Scroll down to where it says download and choose disable automatic promting for file download.

rridgely,

Thanks for the info, I will try that.

Have a nice day,

Normandie

I suggest ditching IE, which is a joke, and start using Firefox; it is infinitely better than IE ;)

http://www.getfirefox.com

</Eldmannen>

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

I suggest ditching IE, which is a joke, and start using Firefox; it is infinitely better than IE ;)

http://www.getfirefox.com

</Eldmannen>

DjLizard,

Thanks for the advice, just a few questions:

1. Can firefox & IE exist on the same computer, do you have to uninstall IE to install firefox?

2. Is the firefox installation complete or do you have to hunt a bunch of plugins. I noticed on their site that there is a ton of plugins, how do I know what I need?

Thanks for the help,

Normandie

DjLizard,

Thanks for the advice, just a few questions:

1. Can firefox & IE exist on the same computer, do you have to uninstall IE to install firefox?

2. Is the firefox installation complete or do you have to hunt a bunch of plugins. I noticed on their site that there is a ton of plugins, how do I know what I need?

Thanks for the help,

Normandie

1. Yes. You can have both on your pc with no conflicts or issues at all.

2. Complete/Full or Custom. Plugin's and the likes are optional. I recommend getting Flash and Shockwave. If you need Quicktime or Real Player, get the Alternatives.

As far as Extensions, I have ChromEdit, Download Manager, User Agent, DictionarySearch, CuteMenus 2, and Allow Right Click. CuteMenus adds graphics to the menus, more of an appearance thing.

1. Yes.  You can have both on your pc with no conflicts or issues at all.

2. Complete/Full or Custom.  Plugin's and the likes are optional.  I recommend getting Flash and Shockwave.  If you need Quicktime or Real Player, get the Alternatives.

As far as Extensions, I have ChromEdit, Download Manager, User Agent, DictionarySearch, CuteMenus 2, and Allow Right Click.  CuteMenus adds graphics to the menus, more of an appearance thing.

So if I am understanding it right the 4MEG+ file that I would download is just the intallation file and it will download the rest of what I want when I pick the type of installation. Is that right?

Have a nice day,

Normandie

Extensions are great. They customize the browser to your liking, in any number of ways. I have the following extensions installed:

* Tabbrowser preferences, which enhances tabbed browsing significantly

* Bookmarks synchronizer, so I have the same bookmarks at work/home

* Download manager tweak (so that I can make the download manager window become a tab, and it auto closes)

* Flashblock, so I never see a popup or ugly flash banner again -- unless I explicitly allow it (this extension is the best yet)

* miniT drag+indicator, so I can drag and move tabs around (this really should be part of standard firefox functionality but it isn't yet, so I have to us ethis)

* Disable targets for downloads, to reduce the number of blank windows caused by downloading (in HTML, the target= tag causes this usually)

* CuteMenus 2, to add more icons to Firefox, to pretty it up

* Tab X, to move the 'x' at the end of the tab bar onto each individual tab

* BBCode, to give me a right click context menu that I can use to add BBCode!

* BugMeNot, an interface to www.bugmenot.com -- allows you to login to certain sites without registering yourself (!) - can't live without this anymore

And there's even better stuff out there... I use even more extensions at home, that was just a list from work ;)

Extensions and themes are very fun. More fun than you ever had with IE!

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)