LIMITED CONNECTIVITY lost internet connection

I cleaned my comp on my computer which has XP after I rebooted I lost my internet connection. I have a virgin media broadband cable modem, the ready light just flashes and a pop up on m screen says 'limited connectivity'. Please can you help I ma 99% sure it was due to the CCleaner, I opetd to save my registry before doing it. How do I correct problem eg restore registry I do not know how to get my internet connection back, please help as I may get charged for an engineer call out if my modem is not at fault.t

• Moderators

Often connection problems can be solved by turning the modem off, waiting about 1-2 minutes and then turning it back on.

Or releasing and renewing your IP address via a command prompt or even start->run:

ipconfig.exe /release

ipconfig.exe /renew

• Moderators

If you ran CCleaner's registry cleaner it would have popped open a box to save the settings.

If you saved those settings which are exported to .REG files you'd just find those .REG files and double-click them to restore their registry values. And also perhaps after restoring from those .REG files either log off and log on, or restart your computer to see if that fixes the issue.

Edit:

If none of the above works and you're using WinXP or Vista I'd suggest using a Restore Point to go back a day or two.

I don't know of any way that CCleaner could affect the operation of the modem.

If you let me know the model number of you modem I can help you.

Typically there should be a Power light and a Internet light to signify that the Internet connection is working.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I cleaned my comp on my computer which has XP after I rebooted I lost my internet connection. I have a virgin media broadband cable modem, the ready light just flashes and a pop up on m screen says 'limited connectivity'. Please can you help I ma 99% sure it was due to the CCleaner, I opetd to save my registry before doing it. How do I correct problem eg restore registry I do not know how to get my internet connection back, please help as I may get charged for an engineer call out if my modem is not at fault.t

The reason you probably lost your connectivity is because of spyware that was cleaned by CCleaner and those files "broke" your connection. To get you back online we'll check the modem first and then turn our attention to your connection.

To double check the connection of the modem, disconnect the modem from all of it's cables. Unscrew the cable from the modem itself, unplug the cat5 cable, and unplug the power wire. Wait about 30 seconds before plugging anything back in. Start with the cable, then the power wire. Check to see that the lights come on solid before plugging in the cat5.

Once that's done, and you've plugged in the cat5 cable, if you're still not connected without the dreaded "Limited Connectivity" go to the "Network Connections" folder or just right click on the little icons saying that you have limited connectivity and choose "Repair". This may take a little while to run. If you still don't get connected. Then you will need to run "WinSock Fix". This is done in safe mode. To get into safe mode, reboot the computer and as it's booting press the "F8" key and choose the "Safe mode with networking". Run "WinSock Fix", reboot the computer and you should be back online.

After that you need to run a good antispyware program such as the free Spyware Doctor that comes with the Google Pack, or Super AntiSpyware, or the paid version of SpySweeper(this link points to a page with a 50% discount found by doing a Google search for "spysweeper coupon code").

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

http://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings.htm

Hi I have restored the reg settings and also switched off and restored etc. the Virgina media guy came out and replaced the modem apparently it now works on his laptop therefore it must be computer as the ready button is now flashing.

Now I cannot even system restore because a message ''windows cannot open help and support because system service is not running to fix this problem, start the service named Help and Support'

This sounds contradictory how can i open help and support if this error message pops up all the time.

Please help

I also get an error message saying ' your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 192.xxx.xxx.xx on the network card with network address 000EBF49A69' in the events log

Did you try my suggestions? If so what have you done?

My feeling is still the same, as I've seen this sort of situation many times. The symptoms you're describing, like system restore being turned off, sound very familiar. I wouldn't recommend doing a restore anyway. Restoring back bad registry entries won't do you much good. Please let us know what you situation is.

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

http://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings.htm

I had this problem as well after using CCleaner's registry cleaner. The modem lights would stay lit but the internet would go out for ~ 20-30 seconds, maybe 10-15 times a day. I reinstalled my NIC drivers, direct connected to bypass the splitter, reset my modem, disconnected the router, reset my modem a million times... nothing. Did start>run>cmd>ipconfig /release /renew and I believe it fixed that issue however I reformatted that day so I didn't give it much time to test.

you can also try start>run>cmd>netsh winsock reset catalog

I believe you will need to restart.