rridgely

What type of firewall do you use?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What type of firewall do you use?

• Hardware
    • Software
    • Both hardware and software
    • None

Currently use the default rules that come with Tomato firmware on a WRT54G v4.

Also using on my personal laptop (Thinkpad T43p) the firewall that ships with Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.7 MP1, with one or two ruled added.

Looking into this Comodo Firewall I've been reading about here......:)

• Moderators

I still use Online Armor.

A lot depends on users setups on their machine as to which firewalls they end up with.

One of the problems that a user faces when trying out a software firewall for the first time is they don't realise that it can be better to exclude your av from being monitored by the firewall and to exclude the firewall from your av. This does away with most firewall problems/conflicts that users may experience.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

True, also Windows Firewall is usually enough for average users (with slower PC's), meaning Win7 firewall, XP's ain't that good.

Most of the conflicts happen when people don't understand much about these kind of softwares and they install multiple of those. Security Suites might make this easier, but also may create conflicts, because someone might install some security suite, which includes AV+FW, and also some separate AV/FW software.

• 5 months later...

Absolutely love the simplicity of Binisoft Windows Firewall Control. Perfectly integrates into the Windows 7 Firewall. I use a custom HOSTS file, immunization from Spybot-S&D and SpywareBlaster and then OpenDNS for extra sexurity.

PC Tools Firewall Plus.is an excellent choice as well. That's what I use on my Windows XP machine.

im using the online armor firewall.

It seems very effective and works well with my computer.

I was using the comodo firewall but i just dont like the program and i have heard a lot of bad things about the company.

I tried private firewall but i couldnt get the ports to stealth status.(so the shields up test revealed).i dont know how legitimate that test is.?

online armor firewall.

Avast free anti virus.

Malwarebytes .

SuperAntiSpyware.

Hitman Pro.

Sandboxie.

COMODO Firewall has long been considered one of the best free firewalls you can get. The only real downfall is the download size, but the program uses little system resources so that is a plus. As for reliability, I can't justify one way or the other. I've used the program in the past but this was a few versions back. I'm sure it's still an excellent choice and if you can't decide which antivirus program to run alongside it, go grab COMODO Internet Security

Edited by Nergal
No need for links, if someone wants it they'll google it

• Moderators

I was using the comodo firewall but i just dont like the program and i have heard a lot of bad things about the company.

I won't use Comodo software for one reason only and that being everything I've tried just won't uninstall properly and leaves most of everything behind making it damned difficult to remove especially stuff that still registered in the Windows Registry.

As for bad things against the company I've heard absolutely none, they're a legitimate and trusted security company.

Can anybody say how effectively you can test a firewall.?

Ive used the shields up test site,plus the pcflank site as well.

Incidentally this is why i uninstalled private firewall because the firewall ports would not stealth.

Is it a reliable testing site.?

online armor firewall.

Avast free anti virus.

Malwarebytes .

SuperAntiSpyware.

Hitman Pro.

Sandboxie.

I won't use Comodo software for one reason only and that being everything I've tried just won't uninstall properly and leaves most of everything behind making it damned difficult to remove especially stuff that still registered in the Windows Registry.

As for bad things against the company I've heard absolutely none, they're a legitimate and trusted security company.

well that is certainly the opposite to what i have heard.SSL certificates being handed out to known malware distributors etc.and there is lengthy press to show this.putting that aside i have used the full comodo internet security and it protected my computer very well.

online armor firewall.

Avast free anti virus.

Malwarebytes .

SuperAntiSpyware.

Hitman Pro.

Sandboxie.

You should try an uninstall program such as IObit Uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller (both freeware)

Also, see here. Uninstaller Tool for Comodo Products

http://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/uninstaller-tool-for-comodo-products-t71897.0.html

If that doesn't help, check the other threads in that forum.

well that is certainly the opposite to what i have heard.SSL certificates being handed out to known malware distributors etc.and there is lengthy press to show this.putting that aside i have used the full comodo internet security and it protected my computer very well.

You give no links to substantiate your criticisms which I do vaguely remember some years ago.

I most definitely remember coming to the conclusion that both the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority and Comodo were innocent of any wrong doing.

It was not the fault of the I.A.N.A. that I.P. addresses were used to convey malware, and Comodo was only indirectly certifying the source of the software but not its nature or quality.

I think that the malware distributors were certified by some other certification authority which in turn was certified by Comodo.

I also remember that Comodo acted promptly when this came to their attention.

• Moderators

You should try an uninstall program such as IObit Uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller (both freeware)

Also, see here. Uninstaller Tool for Comodo Products

http://forums.comodo...s-t71897.0.html

If that doesn't help, check the other threads in that forum.

I know of their own uninstaller tools, and I do track all installations with Total Uninstall, and uninstall with Revo Uninstaller. However why recommend something to me based upon Comodo when I clearly wrote in my other post I won't use their software.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the Windows Firewall & Router.

Late 2015 5K 27" Mac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive: macOS Catalina 10.15.7 
 iMac Clone and Backup with: SuperDuper, Time Machine & iCloud 
aka ~ "Popeye" on the Malwarebytes Forum.

Online Armor for me and i love this program.

online armor firewall.

Avast free anti virus.

Malwarebytes .

SuperAntiSpyware.

Hitman Pro.

Sandboxie.

• Moderators

Can anybody say how effectively you can test a firewall.?

Ive used the shields up test site,plus the pcflank site as well.

Incidentally this is why i uninstalled private firewall because the firewall ports would not stealth.

Is it a reliable testing site.?

That's basically what's available for us to test our systems with for free, unless of course you hire some security company to probe your machines to fix security holes.

There's many software firewalls that will fail a "stealth" test on GRC's ShieldsUp, that doesn't necessarily mean your system is vulnerable though. If you have a hardware firewall built into your modem enabling it can help pass online tests such as GRC's ShieldsUp.

I use a hardware firewall and Windows Firewall, I have to enable my modems hardware firewall to pass the ShieldsUp tests.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderators

2008 !!!

I can add AVG Firewall to the list but then noticed the threads age....

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.