rridgely

What type of firewall do you use?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What type of firewall do you use?

• Hardware
    • Software
    • Both hardware and software
    • None

My ISP DSL SpeedStream 6520 modem has a built in firewall so I only use the Windows firewall just so that the Security Center does not nag at me that I am un-protected.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Hardware firewall is my main defense with Comodo mostly to control outbound.

I thought I would try Comodo firewall on my XP Pro SP3 system and I must say that I am totally un-impressed!

1. It installed the Ask toolbar without my permission and prior knowledge that it would be installed and activated.

2. It detected several false positives such as SDFIX.exe that I had downloaded myself and a Microsoft Windows SP3 fix.

I only let it run for a short while until I became totally disgusted by the false positives it found.

I eradicated it from my system.

I have read about Comodo's rampant false positives but I am amazed at how true the claims are.

By the way, I do not like a software based firewall as it is a total waste of system resources and so says a MBAM developer in a 10 minute video that I wrote about in the CCleaner forum:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=17348

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I thought I would try Comodo firewall on my XP Pro SP3 system and I must say that I am totally un-impressed!

1. It installed the Ask toolbar without my permission and prior knowledge that it would be installed and activated.

NEW! COMODO SafeSurf Toolbar built on COMODO Memory Firewall technology.
You should have been able to uncheck during install just like CCleaners Yahoo Toolbar.

2. It detected several false positives such as SDFIX.exe that I had downloaded myself and a Microsoft Windows SP3 fix.

NEW! On-Demand Virus Scanning:

- CFP now provides an option to scan for viruses during the installation and from its graphical user interface.

Comodos Antivirus is still in Beta. I didn't scan during install. Its a manual scan from the Gui. I don't recommend using it.

There's a learning curve and some tricks for setting it up. I set the Defense + Security level to Clean PC Mode For about one week, so I could run all of my programs to let Comodo learn them. You will acquire pending files during this time, I just purged them.

Clean PC Mode: From the time you set the slider to 'Clean PC Mode', Defense+ will learn the activities of the applications currently installed on the computer while all new executables introduced to the system are monitored and controlled. This patent-pending mode of operation is the recommended option on a new computer or one that the user knows to be clean of malware and other threats. From this point on wards Defense+ will alert the user whenever a new, unrecognized application is being installed. In this mode, the files in 'My Pending Files' are excluded from being considered as clean and are monitored and controlled.

After running all programs, move the setting to Safe Mode. No pending files in this mode.

Safe Mode: While monitoring critical system activity, the firewall will automatically learn the activity of executables and applications certified as 'Safe' by Comodo. It will also automatically create 'Allow' rules these activities. For non-certified, unknown, applications, you will receive an alert whenever that application attempts to run. Should you choose, you can add that new application to the safe list by choosing 'Treat this application as a Trusted Application' at the alert. This will instruct the firewall not to generate an alert the next time it runs. If your machine is not new or known to be free of malware and other threats as in 'Clean PC Mode' then Safe Mode' is recommended setting for most users - combining the highest levels of security with an easy-to-manage number of Defense+ alerts.

I set programs that I trust to trusted applications to cut down on pop-ups.

I set update programs to Installer/Updater to allow elevated privilege.

During regular definition updates there is no need to switch to installation mode. But when you lets say install a new version of CCleaner over and existing version you will need to switch to installation mode.

I eradicated it from my system.

I almost did the same.

This program is for people who want total control over what each program can do on their system.

With Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0, we added another critical layer of protection to our world-class firewall. Defense Plus is one of the most advanced Host Intrusion Prevention Systems available in any desktop security program.

Bulletproof protection against root-kits, inter-process memory injections, key-loggers and more

Authenticates the integrity of every program before allowing it to load into your computer's memory

Alerts you every time an unknown or untrusted application attempts to run or install

Blocks Viruses, Trojans and Spyware before they can ever get onto your system

Prevents unauthorized modification of critical operating system files and registry entries

For both the Firewall and HIPS it uses about 10 megs of ram on my XP and Vista systems.

ISP provided hardware and good ole "Winders Far Wall". :) davey
That reminds me of an old Christmas joke.

The three wise men attend the baby Jesus and present their gifts and are gathered around when Joseph asks "How come you wealthy folk attend here with your clothes all covered in soot and grime?" Where one of the magi replies "We came from afar followin yonder star."

Its a big hit down in the US Southern States at Christmas time.

IE7Pro user

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2Wire ADSL Gateway Modem Router> "hardware firewall".

Windows XP> "software firewall".

10-18-08:

I Used (On 5 Different Computers ) Zone Alarm Firewall---Free Version----Latest Version 8.0.020.000 Since Its Beginning----Never Any Problems...I Recommned It --- Have Installed It On Friends Computers...

Vincent Auto

• 2 weeks later...

I use Comodo Software Firewall, recently supplemented by Netgear Modem/Router/Firewall.

The Netgear Modem gives better speed than the Thomson Speedtouch I previously used.

Given perfect security, and freedom from errors by users, nothing nasty should come on-board.

If any keyloggers get in, or if the P.C. is recruited into a BotNet army, software Firewalls give much better protection against "outgoing" than hardware firewalls.

I like the fact that the hardware Firewall uses zero computer resources to block most of the attacks.

BUT I have more confidence in Comodo.

I have read that Hardware SIPS give more stringent protection than Software without SIPS.

I do NOT trust SIPS.

My Comodo rules are quite restrictive, but they never interfere with legitimate traffic.

The only time a software download failed was when I tried to update the Netgear Wireless adapter.

I discovered that Netgear tried to download to a port different from the port I used to request the update.

I then found that if I initiate an outgoing link to an IP address, any packets from that address are considered by the hardware to be replies to an outgoing request, and hardware lets them through - even if they are the wrong protocol. It even allows incoming ICMP just because of an outgoing TCP or UDP packet. I strongly suspect that anything aimed at a Privileged Port would succeed in taking over my P.C.

The Comodo Firewall has a stricter policy - the reply has to be aimed at the port that issued the request, and it has to be the same protocol, otherwise it is NOT a reply to outgoing, but is an unrequested incoming that should be blocked.

I am careful what sites I visit, and avoid any which Google warns could damage my computer, BUT when a site is first infected Google will not warn, and I think that Hardware SIPS will welcome any malware that is available, BUT Comodo will protect me.

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually I don't use a firewall, but the good old windows firewall is turned on. (otherwise the security center starts naggin' again... :P ) I like to use as few system resources as possible ;)

A question is never dumb, the person who asks it is.

system: Windows Vista home premium sp1, 4 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 quad cpu Q9400 2.66 GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

I use my hardware firewall (router is WRT350N) and the built in Vista one. I tried a ton of freeware ones and always had problems with them so I just 86'd them and went to stock and couldn't be happier. :)

• 2 weeks later...