• Nod32
    • Norton
    • Panda
    • TrendMicro
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other
    • None

• Moderators

Microsoft's operating system to me is a bit like a mountain... people try to climb it because it's there.

I think it will always be a target for malware/virus writers (and what isn't these days)

I guess we're just lucky that there are quite a few different av's and other anti-malware tools out there which we can mix and match to our heart's content :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I also use Microsoft Security Essentials because it's free, it does its job, it's not very intrusive nor annoying and most important for me: you CAN DISABLE real time protection (it's one issue that annoys me about most AV suites). I am using FF + Proxomitron + Common Sense. It's been almost a decade+ since I got infected. I just right-click and select "scan with MSE" when I need to check something suspicious.

I would like to know the real resources requirements for common antivirus software. Does anybody know of a web link where a chart could be shown?.

I feel latest AVG releases are quite the humongous memory eaters (probably applicable for most of the regular AV suites though).

I also use Microsoft Security Essentials because it's free, it does its job, it's not very intrusive nor annoying and most important for me: you CAN DISABLE real time protection (it's one issue that annoys me about most AV suites).

I'm using Avira for exactly the same reasons ;)

I would like to know the real resources requirements for common antivirus software. Does anybody know of a web link where a chart could be shown?.

I feel latest AVG releases are quite the humongous memory eaters (probably applicable for most of the regular AV suites though).

Such a website definitely does exist, I've seen it fairly recently, just can't remember for the life of me where :unsure: . For the record Avira is using 11Mb RAM here.

EDIT: Google to the rescue lol: http://www.antivirus...ng/performance/ (unfortunately MSE has not been included in this site's tests)

There are 3 AV programs I steer away from and instantly remove on any system I work on.....Norton, McAfee & MSE. My thumb-drive I carry with me have many tools. You would not believe how many time I plugged my drive into a system and file were instantly nuked. Now my flash is write protected to keep this from happening.

We touched on Shadow Defender earlier. I am now running W7 with Shadow Defender only on my C drive with exclusions and also with ESET. I can't see how I would not at least need a firewall in conjunction with Shadow Defender. I just prefer to play it safe for now and run the suite.

25qd6wl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was a Nod32 user for years, until malware Virut stroke my system infecting every .exe, .html, etc. in all my hard drives.

It took me 5 Windows reinstall to finally get rid of it and the help of Dr. Web Cure It and the Kaspersky online service.

Since then I adopted Kaspersky Internet Security as my anti-virus of trust.

No problems at all so far. Detections are always correct, low number of false positives, constant updates, etc.

The company turned out to be very user friendly too. You gotta love anything with the K logo on it.

Currently trying Kaspersky PURE. :wub:

[ Cool Piriform User Bar Needed ]

• Moderators

Since then I adopted Kaspersky Internet Security as my anti-virus of trust.

No problems at all so far. Detections are always correct, low number of false positives, constant updates, etc.

The company turned out to be very user friendly too.

They have an impressive freeware bootable rescue CD called Kaspersky Rescue Disk which I like.

Thanks for the links JDPower. The Link was somewhere at the bottom of that page.

Here you go: Free Antivirus Performance

Nice to know.

Although, AVG, like many AV companies I presume, released their 2012 version in 2011.

It seems to be more streamlined, faster, & better at taking out virus/malware threats as a group, instead of individual files.

In other words, if you get a malware or virus, it seems to check the other locations that malware or virus is known to reside in as well, & try to eliminate those pieces while it is at it.

I don't really know what to make of their reviews, however, since they posted that AVG gave a 20 second increase to boot time upon installation.

My machine boots into Windows on average in about 25 or 30 seconds, & that's on XP with a standard HDD instead of SSD.

So, according to their reviews, maybe my machine should boot in 5 seconds without AVG?

Either that, or they use really slooooooooooowwwww machines?

I have used AVG 2011 & 2012 editions, & I can still boot in 25 seconds, so something must be wrooooooong with their results?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use Symantec Endpoint Protectoin 11.0.7 MP1 (current to my knowledge).

For firewall, I use the SEP one, though I used to use Windows Firewall in addition, but that didn't work out very well for me.

I also have MalwareBytes Anti-Malware running with SEP, and have both set to scan weekly and update once a day!

I tried Kaspersky PURE R2 (9.x) and that just froze my Thinkpad T43p thrice while retrieving an update that, at the time of my uninstallation, had exceeeded 100MB in size.

• Moderators

Also you shouldn't announce infriging on a license on a well traveled public forum

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

While I am aware that I shouldn't advertise using a former employers' key for something, I can also get the same software without said former employers' key.

And I am aware of the multi-firewall conflicts. I am not sure Symantecs' firewall is better than Windows Firewall on XP, but it's better than nothing, especially since I finally figured out how to set rules (wasn't particularly intuitive until a few updates ago).

I wonder, what is more effective, a per-PC firewall (possibly with different rules for different users), or a network-wide firewall (thinking m0n0wall and pf-Sense-class soft/hardware)?

Currently running a WRT54G w/ Tomato on it, though whatever firewall rules are default there are running.

• Moderators

Software plus hardware firewall is fine (and better)

Two Firewalls on a single device causes mad troubles (Internet slowdowns, not everything being properly blocked, unreleated to firewall software hangs)

post-21882-0-19621800-1323198791_thumb.jpg

in my day we used an onion, cause that was the fashion

Also this is the AV thread not the firewall thread

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The problem is Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus. You run it alongside an anti-virus :)

I knew that Free Malwarebytes did not real-time scanning and should co-exist with any (or most) anti-virus.

Does the Professional Malwarebytes, which I believe includes real-time protection, also co-exist with any (or most) anti-virus ?

• Moderators

I knew that Free Malwarebytes did not real-time scanning and should co-exist with any (or most) anti-virus.

Does the Professional Malwarebytes, which I believe includes real-time protection, also co-exist with any (or most) anti-virus ?

Yes.

It's an idea to exlude the av from mbam in its 'ignore list'

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com