• McAfee
    • Nod32
    • Norton
    • Panda
    • TrendMicro
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other
    • None

Isn't too hard to uninstall the unwanted things, if they got past you at first. 

Google knows how so check there first, but I think it is no more than Add/Remove programs, then click on "change" or "modify" for the Avast program. 

Still I agree, some of that stuff is annoying. 

whoops, sorry, I knew it was one or the other. (details, details) :)

Avast. Windows defender in windows 10 itself enough to protect from some malware though I use Avast for extra security.

I've never used Windows Defender and neither do I have Win10, but WD is an "active" AntiVirus, isn't it?

If so, and if nothing has changed recently, then you shouldn't be running it with Avast, which is also an "active" AntiVirus.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will put me right, but if not, then you could be causing serious issues with your system having two "active" A/V's running at the same time.

Windows Defender (a full AV on Windows 8 and later) will automatically turn itself off if you have a 3rd party AV running.

It will turn itself back on if you uninstall the other AV.

Since the Win10 aniversary update WD will now still perform a file scan occasionally (if you set it to) even if you have another AV running.

http://www.windowscentral.com/whats-new-windows-defender-windows-10-anniversary-update

There is also a major update to WD due this year as part of the Win10 'Creators Update',(due in April?) which among other things will mean that WD will automatically turn itself back on if your 3rd party AV subscription/licence expires.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/23/introducing-windows-defender-security-center/#ziXpqq4gWsieM3uZ.97

WD will automatically turn itself back on if your 3rd party AV subscription/licence expires.

That's good. It's the active AV on my mother's Win10 laptop, but even for Win10 they really need to optimize the scanning speed when selecting Full Scan.

Thanks nc.  :)

That's a cool feature.

As long as it works as they are saying it will then these changes sound good and WD is becoming a 'grown up' AV.

THB since I moved to Win 8.1 and then Win 10 I have left my AV requirements up to WD (with MBAE running as well plus a weekly scan with MBAMv2), no 3rd party AV at all.

Never had any problem, the one time I was 'attacked', by a drive-by on a website, WD spotted it and stopped it before the page had fully loaded.

the one time I was 'attacked', by a drive-by on a website, WD spotted it and stopped it

I hope you're also using something like the MVPS.org HOSTS file. Even popular legit sites can cause a drive-by via an infected advertisement, hence the reason to block ads and rubbish using a HOSTS file.

Since I have Windows 10, I was using Defender per recommendation. From who? I don't remember, it's been 6 years. I sent an eMail message to someone who told me I gave him a Trojan. Since I don't know nothing, as in, Computers and software, I asked for advice from friends. My girl friend/future wife, has a guru she's used for 15 years. He recommended Avast for her XP, the Vista laptop and for my W.10. He also recommended MalWareBytes. And stated that's all we need. She mentioned C Cleaner and he said yes, also the other Piriform software. So, I'm glad to express my opinion here and hope I don't miss lead anyone.

I had changed many antivirus software for my laptop. Initially it was Bitdefender, then Mcafee, Avast. And Now I am using a free antivirus; something new I guess. Its name is protegent. Found it at softpedia.

I had changed many antivirus software for my laptop. Initially it was Bitdefender, then Mcafee, Avast. And Now I am using a free antivirus; something new I guess. Its name is protegent. Found it at softpedia.

It isn't free (30 day trial) 

I don't like the webpage

http://www.protegent360.com/

At least Protegent is legit. Although for a mere $5 more I'd buy a Norton Antivirus Basic license - that is if I had to use a paid antivirus.

Yeah, it's a little too Spongebob Squarepants for me, too.

Then you should look at the Demo Review by them on YouTube, having not heard of it before that's where I went to see it and I don't like the very Windows 8ish looking GUI.

It isn't free (30 day trial) 

I don't like the webpage

http://www.protegent360.com/

By Free I mean 30 day trial period. Atleast I had free usage of 1 month. On more thing I need to mention about this product that it can recover deleted data back as well. I could not trust that. so I deleted one word file permanently from my laptop using Shift+Delete. To my surprise, I was able to recover back the deleted data. 

I know by paying $5 more your can have Norton, but I doubt that on the data recovery feature.

"I don't like the webpage"

Yeah, it's a little too Spongebob Squarepants for me, too.

I really don't care about webpages....Do anybody care ? Its the thing your are getting. And I am just using a trial product which works well in good.

I really don't care about webpages....Do anybody care ? Its the thing your are getting. And I am just using a trial product which works well in good.

very true, the program doesn't (shouldn't) reflect the web site.

BUT... it puts that first impression in your mind - if they create a comical, childish web site, what is their attitude towards programming?

I'm guessing more than one potential user would see the site and go, "WTF!" and continue looking.

Their site certainly didn't hook me into downloading a trail is all I'm saying.

very true, the program doesn't (shouldn't) reflect the web site.

BUT... it puts that first impression in your mind - if they create a comical, childish web site, what is their attitude towards programming?

I'm guessing more than one potential user would see the site and go, "WTF!" and continue looking.

Their site certainly didn't hook me into downloading a trail is all I'm saying.

That I certainly agree with you. 

Today I switched back to Avira Free Antivirus v15.0.9.504 found on OldApps.com here, it's the last version that works for Windows XP, and although it will update the program files it remains compatible. Now I'm not having to put up with all the bugs I was encountering with Panda Free Antivirus, good riddance to it.

Avast here I used AVG for many years but after trying Avast I will never go back.

avg is a weak  program  at best  i  would  recommend  that  you  ditch  it  and go with immunet. much better program . will not slow your pc down .  works with  windows xp . windows 7 and up. it is  a free download  and works well with ccleaner

avg is a weak  program  at best  i  would  recommend  that  you  ditch  it  and go with immunet. much better program . will not slow your pc down .  works with  windows xp . windows 7 and up. it is  a free download  and works well with ccleaner

See comments here

http://support.immunet.com/index.php?/topic/3192-when-is-new-version-expected/