CCleaner and Cookies

Keithuk

Please be informed that I use Vista Home Edition 64-bit French (living in Switzerland). Since I installed IE8 Beta 2, all my saved cookies are ignored and wiped out when I restart my very standard 6GB test PC.
I have the same problem on XP Pro that I run on an old PIII because IE8 is faster than IE7.

I reported it the Microsoft IE8 beta area of their forum and I am now following the discussion there:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...ng=en&cr=US

Scroll down to the Deleting cookies topic and you may have to sign in to post though.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Read about Ibuprofen dangers! Especially if you're taking any prescription medications, but still even if you don't you need to know the risks. That's one pain killer I'll never take again.
I'm not on any other medication.

I read the directions carefully and dole out the maximum dosage each day in a separate container and I take nowhere near the maximum dosage.

I take them because I have a constant toothache in a lower left molar that I had root canal a few months ago that I have to make an appointment to go get extracted.

I also have lower back and hip pain due to an old car rear-ender crash that caused a pinched Sciatic nerve. A heating pad and Massage with Acupuncture therapy really help as well.

Thanks for your concern though.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Please be informed that I use Vista Home Edition 64-bit French (living in Switzerland). Since I installed IE8 Beta 2, all my saved cookies are ignored and wiped out when I restart my very standard 6GB test PC.

You may have figured it out. I thought that it was CCleaner that was causing it so I reverted back to the last version. I had installed IE8 Beta 2 recently myself and last night had a security update that required an automatic restart in the middle of the night. This morning I had to log back in to websites and set preferences again, so apparently IE8 Beta 2 is the culprit not CCleaner.

Leave it to Microsoft to screw something up, they seem to be really good at that considering how bad they messed up with Vista.

Sorry that I pointed the finger at CCleaner becasue it doesn't look like it was their fault. Keep up the good work.

:D

You may have figured it out. I thought that it was CCleaner that was causing it so I reverted back to the last version. I had installed IE8 Beta 2 recently myself and last night had a security update that required an automatic restart in the middle of the night. This morning I had to log back in to websites and set preferences again, so apparently IE8 Beta 2 is the culprit not CCleaner.

Leave it to Microsoft to screw something up, they seem to be really good at that considering how bad they messed up with Vista.

Sorry that I pointed the finger at CCleaner becasue it doesn't look like it was their fault. Keep up the good work.

:D

I have conducted extensive tests on the 32-bit and on the 64-bit environment. CCleaner works fine with IE7 and IE8 Beta2 in the 32-bit environment. But I regret to say that in the 64-bit environment with IE8, CCleaner does not work properly. IE7 works fine in the 64-bit environment.

Besides I wish to quote CCleaner itself when it says in its FAQ that "It's currently partially compatible with 64bit XP and Vista, there are a few non-critical issues which are still being worked on."

Now I've been using CCleaner for a couple of years without any problems with any version. Now I normally do a clean once a week and a couple of weeks ago I did a clean and shut the computer down. The next day all these 40 forum sites that I use all needed to be logged in again. Now before I logged in I opened CC and checked what was in my cookies to keep listbox and they were all listed as normal. So I logged back in to all my 40 forums and check CC again and no new ones were showing up in cookies to delete listbox.

I start back to work today after my 5 weeks holiday and when I start to use my 40 forums on WinXP I have to loggin on everyone again. Now I don't know if this is a quirk or what but it appears strange I have to loggin everything again and this as never happened before.

Anyone else had this problem? ;)

Hello,

well,I'm glad I'm not the only one ! Because that is very precisely what happened to me.I upgraded two days ago from the last 1.xxx to the latest 2.xxx and bingo,my cookies are not memorized by cc.This is only IF I REBOOT (rolled back to the last 1.xxx and it does the same now !!!)

I have xpSP3/32,IE7

Any ideas ? Thanks.

Welcome to Piriform Lou.

Hello,

well,I'm glad I'm not the only one ! Because that is very precisely what happened to me.I upgraded two days ago from the last 1.xxx to the latest 2.xxx and bingo,my cookies are not memorized by cc.This is only IF I REBOOT (rolled back to the last 1.xxx and it does the same now !!!)

I have xpSP3/32,IE7

Any ideas ? Thanks.

I thought I couldn't be the only one to see this problem. Reboot as never been a problem because I always turn off my computer at night there is no point in using Standby Mode.

Any ideas ? Thanks.

Not yet we are still trying to find how many user have experienced this problem. And we've had no reply from Admin on this problem. We generally get a note problem noted will be fixed on next issue. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Ah,Keith,really can't figure out what has gone wrong....I've just realised that this pb didn't affect the second account I have on my computer !

Is there a crucial setting that I modified without noticing it ?

Not really Lou it all depends who has logged in the computer so it uses their own cookies. So in Options\Cookies that will show a list of all cookies in My Documents and Settings\&username&\Cookies folder. So you just select one you want to keep and click the -> button to transfer it to the Cookies to Keep listbox.

So the next person that logs in will have to do the same procress for their cookies. I'm not sure about admin rights for other users, do they have admin rights? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I notice that I have to log back in after I use ATF Cleaner or Glary Utilities even if I ask them to not clean my cookies.

IE7Pro user

This thread caught my attention. Im running IE8 B2 on Vista 32bit. I wasnt able to reproduce the problem regarding cookies and logins. The cookies I specified to keep always remained while all others were removed. No problems.

So I was determined to reproduce the problem. I noticed from the screenshots that the difference for me was not deleting the index.dat files. So like a moron, I checked the box and deleted the index.dat files. Rebooted and all logins for 20+ forums were lost.

3 index.dat files were removed:

5.85 MB's ...\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Index.dat

80 KB ...\Cookies\Index.dat

10 KB ...\Cookies\Low\Index.dat

I realized the problem was CC removed the index.dat files from the cookies folders. So I added the following exclusions:

Exclude8=FILE|C:\Users\xXx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\|index.dat

Exclude9=FILE|C:\Users\xXx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\|index.dat

Ran CC after logging back into several forums. Checked 'Delete Index.dat Files' and performed the cleaning. This time the 2 index files for cookies were excluded. I rebooted and my logins were just fine.

So should CC exclude the cookie index files so users wont have this sort of problem? Or display a message box prior to cleaning? Maybe those files should be listed as a separate checkbox?

[ ] Delete Index.dat File

[ ] Delete Cookies Index.dat Files

The userguide mentions cookies in relation to the index.dat but dosent explain 'what to expect' when cleaning these files.

This thread caught my attention. Im running IE8 B2 on Vista 32bit. I wasnt able to reproduce the problem regarding cookies and logins. The cookies I specified to keep always remained while all others were removed. No problems.
I am going to try your suggestion when I fire up the old PIII

So should CC exclude the cookie index files so users wont have this sort of problem? Or display a message box prior to cleaning? Maybe those files should be listed as a separate checkbox?
I thought that was what the Cookies checkbox did?

IE7Pro user

Currently when you check the box 'Delete Index.dat Files' it includes the index.dat's located in the 2 cookie folders. Thats why its plural. I was suggesting to have

Delete Index.dat (for the file located in Content.IE5) and a separate Delete Index.dat (for the 2 cookie folders). The cookies checkbox deletes the actual cookies and not the index.dat files located in the cookies folder.

Edit: Basically if your going to keep/exclude cookies you have to either make the file exclusions for the index files in the cookies folder or uncheck delete index.dat files altogether.

Currently when you check the box 'Delete Index.dat Files' it includes the index.dat's located in the 2 cookie folders. Thats why its plural. I was suggesting to have

Delete Index.dat (for the file located in Content.IE5) and a separate Delete Index.dat (for the 2 cookie folders). The cookies checkbox deletes the actual cookies and not the index.dat files located in the cookies folder.

Edit: Basically if your going to keep/exclude cookies you have to either make the file exclusions for the index files in the cookies folder or uncheck delete index.dat files altogether.

Hello guys,

Disk4mat, from my experience with WinXP Pro SP3, I think it either a Vista/CCleaner thing or a Vista/CCleaner/IE8 thing because I am never shown the index.dat for the "Cookies" file to be deleted nor is it deleted as far as I can determine. My "Cookies to keep" are always left in my "Cookies" file along with the index.dat file and a desktop.ini file. I always have Delete index.dat under Internet Explorer ticked.

Just some more info to be used by all. P.S. I always have "Cookies" ticked also.

:) davey

P.S. Looks like you have a definite work-around for now though, until they come up with a fix.

Good info, thanks Dave.

I just broke out a drive image when I had IE7 (from a clean OS install) and both cookie folders and files are present. So its not limited to IE8 but it so far seems limited to Vista.

C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Users\...AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\index.dat

So its not limited to IE8 but it so far seems limited to Vista.
I have the problem on my old PIII running XP Pro with IE8 beta 2

My cookies are in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\index.dat which I will Exclude and try a reboot.

IE7Pro user

My cookies are in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\index.dat which I will Exclude and try a reboot.

Yippee! Success!

I added the cookies index.dat file into the Exclude area and I did not have to log back in here after a CCleaner run and a reboot.

I'll be watching for the symptom to occur after a Power off then Power on cycle.

Why the fancy fenaglin in IE8 beta2?

IE7Pro user

Ok then my settings ticked boxes or what ever are exactly the same at home Win98SE and work WinXP SP2 apart from I don't delete recent documents at work. I delete Index.dat everytime but when it deletes at home it creates a file Wininit.bak in the Windows folder that says

[rename]

NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1\CONTENT.IE5\INDEX.DAT

NUL=C:\WINDOWS\COOKIES\INDEX.DAT

NUL=C:\WINDOWS\HISTORY\HISTORY.IE5\INDEX.DAT

NUL=C:\WINDOWS\HISTORY\HISTORY.IE5\DESKTOP.INI

Now this problem as only occured once at home and once at work and I've never had the problem again. So is it just a one off glitch? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Ok then my settings ticked boxes or what ever are exactly the same at home Win98SE and work WinXP SP2 apart from I don't delete recent documents at work. I delete Index.dat everytime but when it deletes at home it creates a file Wininit.bak in the Windows folder that says

[rename]

NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1\CONTENT.IE5\INDEX.DAT

NUL=C:\WINDOWS\COOKIES\INDEX.DAT

NUL=C:\WINDOWS\HISTORY\HISTORY.IE5\INDEX.DAT

NUL=C:\WINDOWS\HISTORY\HISTORY.IE5\DESKTOP.INI

Now this problem as only occured once at home and once at work and I've never had the problem again. So is it just a one off glitch? ;)

This Cookies index.dat file stuff is all new info to me. Nothing ever affects my "Cookies" folder index.dat file.

This WinXP Pro SP3. I am using IE7 and not having the IE8 Beta 2 problem that YoKenny and the others are having. I have a feeling IE8 Beta2 is changing something that causes CCleaner to wipe the "Cookies" iindex.dat file or in other words "clean" the whole "Cookie" folder.

Keith, as far as I can tell, the one off glitch is that one day you ran CCleaner on both machines without a CCleaner.ini file in the CCleaner folder. It would also have been a day that you uninstalled the prior version. That is the only way I can recreate it.

Keith, as far as I can tell, the one off glitch is that one day you ran CCleaner on both machines without a CCleaner.ini file in the CCleaner folder. It would also have been a day that you uninstalled the prior version. That is the only way I can recreate it.

First of Davey I don't use the ini option. Sorry I used it once to see what was in the file. Saved it to a floppy then remove the ini option. Secondly I've never uninstalled any CCleaner version before I put the newer version in. If you do you loose all you registry settings and cookie list. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm using Windows XP SP3, IE7, and CCleaner 2.11.636. I upgraded CCleaner, and it doesn't appear to keep any of the cookies I ask it to keep. For instance, I ask it to keep my Yahoo, my Verizon, and a few other cookies that I keep on a regular basis. While it's not the end of the world, it's definitely frustrating. Where should I look to fix this, and what other information might someone need to help me?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm using Windows XP SP3, IE7, and CCleaner 2.11.636. I upgraded CCleaner, and it doesn't appear to keep any of the cookies I ask it to keep. For instance, I ask it to keep my Yahoo, my Verizon, and a few other cookies that I keep on a regular basis. While it's not the end of the world, it's definitely frustrating. Where should I look to fix this, and what other information might someone need to help me?

Thanks!

Hello Chip Stroll,

Welcome to the Forums. :D

Are you looking into your "Cookies" folder, immediately after running the Clean.

Any other browsers or add-ons that may have options set to clean these areas ?

Do you actually see these cookies to be deleted in the Analysis listing ?

Edited by davey

• 5 months later...
Yippee! Success!

I added the cookies index.dat file into the Exclude area and I did not have to log back in here after a CCleaner run and a reboot.

I'll be watching for the symptom to occur after a Power off then Power on cycle.

Why the fancy fenaglin in IE8 beta2?

Resurrecting this old topic as I was having a problem of having to log in again after reboot.

IE8 cookies are in C:\Documents and Settings\{User ID}\Cookies\index.dat and needs to be excluded.

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Is there a way to add the exclude index.dat in cookies folder into the FAQ or for the programmers to remove it from index.dats check mark?

I mean if YoKenny got caught up, what hope is there for n00bs?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Is there a way to add the exclude index.dat in cookies folder into the FAQ or for the programmers to remove it from index.dats check mark?

I mean if YoKenny got caught up, what hope is there for n00bs?

That's why we all help here.

By the way, I can not do the same procedure on my Vista system as I can not get the authority to Documents and Settings Folder thus presenting another challenge. :unsure:

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
By the way, I can not do the same procedure on my Vista system as I can not get the authority to Documents and Settings Folder thus presenting another challenge. :unsure:

Here you go kenny

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/junctions.aspx

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com