Upgrading firefox 2 to 3

Eli

Hi

I would like to know:

1/Did any of you had any positive experience upgrading ff from 2 to 3?

2/Do I have to delete the existing version or I overwrite?

Thanks ;)

Eli

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Hi

I would like to know:

1/Did any of you had any positive experience upgrading ff from 2 to 3?

2/Do I have to delete the existing version or I overwrite?

Thanks ;)

Eli

I have FF2 on most of my machines and FF3 on one of my machines. I prefer FF2 right now. FF3 is buggy for me and I find it slower not faster like it supposed to be. I will wait until the bugs are worked out and all my extensions and skins are compatible with it before I upgrade all my machines to FF3.

You can upgrade right over 2 with 3. If any of your extensions or skins are incompatible they will be disabled by FF3. I did a clean install though instead of upgrading.

I'm guessing the question stems from Mozilla having started pushing FF3 out as an automatic update/notification. Personally my FF2 is stable and all add ons work with it (unlike FF3 AFAIK), plus I've seen nothing in FF3 to make it worth upgrading. I intend to wait for at least version 3.0.2 (current version 3.0.1) to make sure all bugs have been ironed out.

I have FF2 on most of my machines and FF3 on one of my machines. I prefer FF2 right now. FF3 is buggy for me and I find it slower not faster like it supposed to be. I will wait until the bugs are worked out and all my extensions and skins are compatible with it before I upgrade all my machines to FF3.

You can upgrade right over 2 with 3. If any of your extensions or skins are incompatible they will be disabled by FF3. I did a clean install though instead of upgrading.

I think it is a good idea to wait untill all my extensions and skins are compatible with it before I upgrade to FF3.

Thanks

Eli

I'm guessing the question stems from Mozilla having started pushing FF3 out as an automatic update/notification. Personally my FF2 is stable and all add ons work with it (unlike FF3 AFAIK), plus I've seen nothing in FF3 to make it worth upgrading. I intend to wait for at least version 3.0.2 (current version 3.0.1) to make sure all bugs have been ironed out.

Your guess about my question is correct.

I made up my mind to wait untill all my extensions and skins are compatible with it before I upgrade to FF3.

Thanks

Eli

I'm also waiting. Until I can use my chosen theme, Kempelton, which I love, I'll stick with 2.0.0.16.

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

• Moderators

I tried FF3 with an over-install which only led to constant crashing. Then I did a clean install with the same results constant crashing. End result, a total waste of my time!

I highly doubt that I'll be able to use any early versions of FF3 for maybe a year or longer, just like when FF 1.x was initially released. And if they discontinue development of FF2 I'll probably have no choice but to remove FF and look elsewhere for a browser.

• Moderators

I dont like firefox anymore. I used the latest release of opera for a few days too and I had problems with it displaying sites funky so I cant use it either. For now I'm still using a mix of FF3 and IE7 with pro installed. If FF3 crashes or anything one more time I'm dropping it.

• Moderators
I used the latest release of opera for a few days too and I had problems with it displaying sites funky so I cant use it either.

I went back to Opera after the FF3 fiasco thinking all was great then about a week into using Opera it would randomly not load sites and only display the text: FOUND

Maybe I'm IE bound via something like Maxthon or another IE clone, but that solely depends upon the development lifecycle of FF2.

Been using Portable FF3 for about 3 months now and everything works great. Most of my extensions are compatible and the few that aren't will be forced on and tested when I need them, but haven't yet. Using the portable version because of my failing disk, to lessen writes to it. I'm almost out of spare sectors and things should get interesting.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

I switched to FF2 a short time ago and really loved it. All of the addons are just great.

Yesterday, I updated to FF3 and have had nothing but trouble with it. I have never seen a browser that was as S-L-O-O-O-O-W as this. It is worse than going back to dial up.

So now I am back to IE7, and that's the end of my FF experience, I am sad to say.

Yesterday, I updated to FF3 and have had nothing but trouble with it. I have never seen a browser that was as S-L-O-O-O-O-W as this. It is worse than going back to dial up.

I noticed a large slow down to when using FF3. After reading how fast FF3 was supposed to be to say i was disappointed in an understatement. The slow down was even more noticeable to me because I am using Opera 9.5x and it's the fastest browser I have ever tried and I have tried them all.

Don't remember FF2 being a problem like 3 is when it first came out but than again I didn't switch to FF2 until it was on something like it's 5 update

Thanks for that. Now, the question is, what other excuse can I come up with? <_<

You don't need one. If your happy with 2 stay with it. There is nothing new and amazing in FF3. The two big improvements were supposed to be speed and memorie usage. The speed is actaully worse and I see no difference in memorie usage.

• Moderators

Tried FF3 and hated it, and I only use Firefox 2 when I need to use the DownThemAll extension. Opera 9.52 just breezes through everything with speed.

And I love the skins, and the slick and quick way of trying them. An Opera convert.

Don't remember FF2 being a problem like 3 is when it first came out
FF2 had more than it's fair share of problems when it first came out, I never updated to it for several months cos of all the issues being reported.

I just tried Firefox Portable 3.0.1 today and it didn't give me any problems whatsoever, not one hiccup. Although I'm still very leary of trying the actual installation version.
Exactly the same here - portable runs flawless, just don't fancy the risk of installing just yet. Maybe with FF 3.0.2 :D

FF3 started off fast for me when I first installed it. But after adding Tab Mix Plus it's as slow as FF2. That's the only problem I have. FF takes like 10 - 15 seconds to start up. After that it's fairly fast, not as fast as Opera, but useable.

You don't need one. If your happy with 2 stay with it. There is nothing new and amazing in FF3. The two big improvements were supposed to be speed and memorie usage. The speed is actaully worse and I see no difference in memorie usage.

You're right Anthony, I'm perfectly happy with FF 2. It's totally stable and all the extensions I need run smoothly. I'll stick with it and resist the urge to change to something new for changes sake.

Woody

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

I upgraded to FF3 but went back to FF2. I don't like how the 2 files for Bookmarks and History in FF2 are now amalgamated into just the one file called places.sqlite in FF3. I use Eraser to securely delete files like History (as well as cache etc). It's not possible to delete the history in FF3 using Eraser without deleting bookmarks too. Poor decision to amalgamate the two files in my opinion and one that is causing annoyance to many other FF users too.

Tried FF3 and hated it, and I only use Firefox 2 when I need to use the DownThemAll extension. Opera 9.52 just breezes through everything with speed.

And I love the skins, and the slick and quick way of trying them. An Opera convert.

Your transition was not a smooth one though :lol:

FF2 had more than it's fair share of problems when it first came out, I never updated to it for several months cos of all the issues being reported.

Maybe it did but I never had any when I switched from 1.5 to 2. I do have problems with FF3 though.

I never had problems with Firefox 3, either using the installer or the portable version. Firefox 3 seems to be dramatically better in every way than Firefox 2 in my machines, from memory usage to browsing performance.

Just to be safe, stick what works for you. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."