CCleaner v2.11

MrG

• Admin

cclogo.gif

CCleaner version 2.11 has just been released, in this version we've fixed bugs and improved the performance!

CCleaner v2.11.636

• Optimized startup and closing of application.
  • Improved Registry cleaning on 64-bit OS.
  • Improved memory usage on Windows Vista.
  • Added System Tray icon status.
  • Internal refactoring of code for efficiency.
  • Improved Uninstall Tool accuracy with MSI installers.
  • Fixed bug in Uninstall Tool on 64-bit OS.
  • Fixed bug in INI file folder recursion.
  • Fixed bug in INI file OS detection.
  • Added Live Messenger cleaning for .SQM files.
  • Added Vietnamese translation.
  • Minor tweaks and improvements.

Click here to visit the CCleaner.com site and download

View the full blog post

There seems to be a horrible bug in the latest version - 2.11. As soon as I installed it, it proceeded to delete each and every folder labeled 'Log' or 'Backup' in my entire Program Files folder. I am not sure who all is beta testing this beauty, but it might be worth a look. :-) I replaced the latest version with the last and the folders no longer get deleted, so it's not in my winapp2.ini file...

On second glance, and without lots of testing, it now appears the latest version is deleting all empty folders in Program Files...

On second glance, and without lots of testing, it now appears the latest version is deleting all empty folders in Program Files...

Can't confirm on XP SP3. :mellow:

I have create some empty folders in Program Files (and in some Applications folder as well)

assigning then some random names ('Log' and 'Logs' included) and they stay untouched.

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

Can't confirm on XP SP3. :mellow:

I have create some empty folders in Program Files (and in some Applications folder as well)

assigning then some random names ('Log' and 'Logs' included) and they stay untouched.

Most interesting, Whiteshark ! I'm running Vista Business SP1 and I created a 'test' folder (empty) within the CCleaner folder. I can run the previous version of CCleaner all day long and the test folder remains. As soon as I run the latest version, with no other changes whatsoever, POOF, the empty folder is gone. By the way, I am running the portable version, should that help to resolve this dilemma.

Just tested the portable version myself (XP SP3) and couldn't recreate this behaviour - Added empty folders to the programs folder called log, logs, backup, backups and tried various CC options and the empty folders remained intact.

Must be a Vista specific problem :unsure:

• Moderators

Installed and ran the normal version on XP SP2, and it never touched a couple of empty folders I have, and the only logs removed were the ones it's supposed to.

Not doubting what you say, just providing more info for the bug solvers.

I'm on Vista Business SP1 32bit fully updated. I've created some .log files, 2 empty folders named "empty" and "log" all under Program Files and run the latest CCleaner Slim version.

Everything worked fine as usual, nth from the above was deleted.

OK, guys, here we go. It took a bit of 'trial and error', but I finally narrowed it down to a specific entry in my winapp2.ini file.

Here it is:

FileKey15=%ProgramFiles%\|Install*|REMOVESELF

In the last version of CCleaner, this entry worked as it should, removing only the Install* folder from Program Files. In the latest version, it is this line that causes all empty folders to be erased under Program Files. I am sure you will be able to duplicate it now. Still sounds like an EXE bug to me, but if not, I'll be the first to 'fall on my sword'... ;-)

thanks for the update ;) Is very nice to see that one of my suggestions was made reality!!!

CCleaner v2.11.636

• Optimized startup and closing of application.
  • Improved Registry cleaning on 64-bit OS.
  • Improved memory usage on Windows Vista.

• Added System Tray icon status.
  • Internal refactoring of code for efficiency.
  • Improved Uninstall Tool accuracy with MSI installers.
  • Fixed bug in Uninstall Tool on 64-bit OS.
  • Fixed bug in INI file folder recursion.
  • Fixed bug in INI file OS detection.
  • Added Live Messenger cleaning for .SQM files.
  • Added Vietnamese translation.
  • Minor tweaks and improvements.

@warmth

Betatesting a life!

Current: Nokia Lumia 920 [WP8], HTC 7 Surround T8788 [WP7.8] & Vodafone 858 Smart [Android SmartLucky2.3] | Previous: Nokia Lumia 820, 720, 800, E7-00, X7-00, N8-00, N97, N96, etc.

Official Nokia Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011) | NokiaNews.eu & LoveMyNokia.com writer

I think winapp2.ini needs some looking over, and any potentially troublesome cleaning routines need to be removed.

I would not automatically label this as a 'troublesome cleaning routine', since it ran flawlessly on previous versions of CCleaner. If and when Mr. G says this is no longer a legal entry, then I will happily find a 'work around.' Until then, I would at least like Mr. G to know the scenario exists, just in case it could be a faulty bit of code in CCleaner.exe.

hi shodan:)

i just did the same tests as you did, i put the test folders in both program files and program files(86) since i am on vista home premium 64 bit.

anyway, nothing got deleted and the new build is working great for me.

btw, i dont use winapp2, so i suspect there is some problems with it.

thanks for the update ;) Is very nice to see that one of my suggestions was made reality!!!

OK....

I haven't seen it yet and I've run a scan.

Although the scan turned up empty.

Can some one explain how the icon in the system traya is supposed to work?

So far, no problems with anything else.

Win XP SP3

Thank you.

OK....

I haven't seen it yet and I've run a scan?

you have to enable the tray icon option... then scan or clean directly and minimize CC... it will go to tray icons (icons where is the windows clock by default) and then check the tool tip that appears when you hover the CC tray icon...

@warmth

Betatesting a life!

Current: Nokia Lumia 920 [WP8], HTC 7 Surround T8788 [WP7.8] & Vodafone 858 Smart [Android SmartLucky2.3] | Previous: Nokia Lumia 820, 720, 800, E7-00, X7-00, N8-00, N97, N96, etc.

Official Nokia Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011) | NokiaNews.eu & LoveMyNokia.com writer

• Admin

Hi all,

The entry:

in winapp2.ini is invalid. It has now been removed.

Please remember that we don't officially support the winapp2.ini file on the forum, so can't guaranteee it's reliability.

:)

MrG

OK, guys, here we go. It took a bit of 'trial and error', but I finally narrowed it down to a specific entry in my winapp2.ini file.

Here it is:

In the last version of CCleaner, this entry worked as it should, removing only the Install* folder from Program Files. In the latest version, it is this line that causes all empty folders to be erased under Program Files. I am sure you will be able to duplicate it now. Still sounds like an EXE bug to me, but if not, I'll be the first to 'fall on my sword'... ;-)

Hi all,

The entry:

in winapp2.ini is invalid. It has now been removed.

Please remember that we don't officially support the winapp2.ini file on the forum, so can't guaranteee it's reliability.

:)

MrG

Thanks, MrG ! At least now we know the official answer. Entry removed from winapp2.ini. ;-)

you have to enable the tray icon option... then scan or clean directly and minimize CC... it will go to tray icons (icons where is the windows clock by default) and then check the tool tip that appears when you hover the CC tray icon...

OK, thanks.

OK, thanks.
you're welcome... ;)

@warmth

Betatesting a life!

So...the winapp.ini file from this site is safe to use now, or do we have to edit it ourself?

I ask because I cant see that twistedmetal has updated his thread.

I think that it was already updated long time ago... because I searched for that string all over my file (download like a month ago) and I didn't find it...

@warmth

Betatesting a life!