Recovering data from a hard drive

Hey all, i have an external drive that my cats or dog knocked on the floor during the night and i cant get my computers to recogize it under "my computer" anymore. The light that shows that it is on still works, but it isnt recognized. Its not making any weird noises or anything, but i really would like to get the data off of it if at all possible.

Thanks!

• Moderators

If you turn off the computer and plug in the external, go to control panel, admin tools, computer management, disc management, does it show up?

Have you tried unlugging other usb devicesapart from external, and booting up with external only, does it show then?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi Hazel, thanks for your reply, :), yes it shows up under Disk drives, under Device Manager. I confirmed it by unplugging, etc.

The drive appears as:

WDC WD10 EACS-00ZJB0 USB Device

I checked for drivers (it indicated that it was up to date) and it shows me when i click on Properties that the device is working properly.

I have tried different usb ports on two computers, and a different cord to no avail. As well, I tried rebooting with it plugged in and turned on. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?

• 9 months later...

Hi, I am having the same problem as you with the same drive. I was wondering if you ever found a fix...

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Hazel, thanks for your reply, :), yes it shows up under Disk drives, under Device Manager. I confirmed it by unplugging, etc.

The drive appears as:

WDC WD10 EACS-00ZJB0 USB Device

I checked for drivers (it indicated that it was up to date) and it shows me when i click on Properties that the device is working properly.

I have tried different usb ports on two computers, and a different cord to no avail. As well, I tried rebooting with it plugged in and turned on. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?