CCCleaner

molliedove

Welcome to Piriform Mollie.

Hi there,

I have tried to use CCCLeaner and it takes for ever to scan, I just give up in the end.

Is there any reason why it does this or any other prog that might be in conflict with it?

Molliedove

If you've never run CCleaner before then the first time its run it will have a lot to delete. You can cut down this process a little as Humpty says use your Internet Options in Control Panel and in the Temporary Internet Files click Delete Files. If you don't need to save any Cookies for sites that you visit that require a username and password then you can click the Delete Cookies button as well. If there are certain sites you visit that you need your cookies retained then open CCleaner and click on Options\Cookies and if you recognise the site name in the Cookies to Delete listbox then just select them and click the -> button in the middle. This will transfer hat cookie to the Cookies to Keep listbox so they will be retained when you do a clean. And in the History section you can click Clear History.

Now after you have run CCleaner once with the Run Cleaner button the next time you open CCleaner it will clean a lot quicker. Assign yourself a clean time e.g. once a week then it should only take a few seconds to clean.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform Mollie.

If you've never run CCleaner before then the first time its run it will have a lot to delete. You can cut down this process a little as Humpty says use your Internet Options in Control Panel and in the Temporary Internet Files click Delete Files. If you don't need to save any Cookies for sites that you visit that require a username and password then you can click the Delete Cookies button as well. If there are certain sites you visit that you need your cookies retained then open CCleaner and click on Options\Cookies and if you recognise the site name in the Cookies to Delete listbox then just select them and click the -> button in the middle. This will transfer hat cookie to the Cookies to Keep listbox so they will be retained when you do a clean. And in the History section you can click Clear History.

Now after you have run CCleaner once with the Run Cleaner button the next time you open CCleaner it will clean a lot quicker. Assign yourself a clean time e.g. once a week then it should only take a few seconds to clean.

Thanks for your Welcome and am grateful for your reply

Kind Regards

Mollie

• Moderators

In the Analyse step CC should run quite quickly, with only a slight increase if you have a large number of temp files. If you are running the Clean stage then the first run of CC can take some time.

Have you changed any Options/Settings, specifically from normal to secure deletion? This can make CC Clean stage run forever if you have a large number of files.

Like Millie, running CCleaner (2.11.636) is taking forever. I am only analyzing - to this point. It has been running for about an hour. It seems each file name is displayed for about 1 second. I still have not analyzed through the Temporary Internet Files.

Before I started this analysis, I used the Delete History to delete all browsing history The activity bar crawls repetitively across the top of the file activity window about every 10 seconds.

I'm assuming some other program is slowing down the process.

I run an old XP Home P4 box (SP2). I run Symantic AV v10.1.5.5000 and Client Firewall v8.7.4.97. Turning each off (temporarily) seems to make no difference.

Any ideas?

• Moderators

I did notice when I ran the analysis stage this morning, just to keep an eye on things, that it seemed rather slow, with a slow turnover of displayed file names. Of course a second run is immediate. I'll reboot later and try again. (CC 2.11.636, XP Home SP2, no fancy applications). This is the second time I've run the new release, I didn't notice any slowdown on the first run, but I might not have been paying attention.

Mind you startup is now taking 60 secs instead of 35, with a lot of drive whirring going off.

• Moderators

I rebooted and ran CC analysis phase. It took 11.4 secs for 19.4 mb, which is far greater than usual. I know that the amount to be deleted is not necessarily relevant (to find one small folder takes as long as finding a large one), but peculiar. I'll check again at next reboot.l

Well I've just run a Analyze after I downloaded 2.11.636 2 days ago ran a Clean 2 days ago and today it took 25.189 secs for 6MB of files. I've just run a Clean now and it takes 4.644 secs so it obviously takes longer to analyze which I never use. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

I find that if you run CC Analyse it takes a certain amount of time, then if you run Clean it's very fast. However if you run Anaylse a second time (without the Clean step) it is fast: if you reboot and run Clean without a prior Analyse it is slower. From that I deduce (probably without much foundation) that Clean runs an implicit Analyse, unless a prior Analyse has already been run, when it uses that. Hopefully checking what it's merrily deleting.

I've just run Analyse again without rebooting and it took 1.5 secs, far less than the 11.4 a few hours ago.

Possibly, Keith, if you'd just gone into Clean it would have taken somewhere nearer to 25 secs.

Yes that was just an Analyze it took 25 secs so I click clean afterwards and it took 4 secs. If just clicked Analyze again but because I've already done a clean it only took 1.928 secs. Thats just IE Temporary Internet Files (176 files) 0.50MB ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best