Malwarebytes Developer Interview

YoKenny

Malwarebytes Developer Interview

Posted by Jeff Weisbein on August 20th, 2008

Due to the YouTube 10 minute video limitation the interview had to be separated into two separate videos:

I interviewed Bruce Harrison who is a developer at Malwarebytes - the company who created Malwarebytes? Anti-Malware. We discussed computer security for the home user. Below is the list of questions from the interview.

1. What is malware/spyware?

2. How can malware affect an average computer user? How do you know if you are infected?

3. If someone?s computer were to get infected with malware what should they do to remedy the situation?

4. What separates Malwarebytes? Anti-Malware from the rest of software on the market such as Super Antispyware, Windows Defender, and Ad-aware?

5. Do you recommend using an anti-virus such as NOD32, Kaspersky, or AVG? If so, which and why?

6. Do you recommend using a firewall such as Comodo, Zone Alarm, Kerio, or will a hardware router such as Linksys, Netgear, or dlink work just fine for most people?

7. For the average home computer user who surfs the web and checks their email ? what?s the best way they can keep themselves safe online with ease? Should everyone be using an anti-malware application like malwarebytes? anti-malware in conjunction with an anti-virus and firewall? Is there anything else we as home computer users should be doing to keep safe online?

http://www.besttechie.net/2008/08/20/malwa...loper-interview

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Observations regarding the interview

• Keep the Windows operating system updated through Windows Update.
  • Full scans are not usually required as Quick scan will detect the malware installation modifications.
  • Up to date anti virus applications are a must. Avast! or Avira AntiVir are good free versions. AVG is not recommended but it is better than nothing.
  • Software based firewalls are a waste of system resources. A router based firewall is much better.
  • Windows Defender does not automatically update its definitions.
  • WinPatrol was not mentioned.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Observations regarding the interview
  • Keep the Windows operating system updated through Windows Update.
  • Full scans are not usually required as Quick scan will detect the malware installation modifications.
  • Up to date anti virus applications are a must. Avast! or Avira AntiVir are good free versions. AVG is not recommended but it is better than nothing.
  • Software based firewalls are a waste of system resources. A router based firewall is much better.
  • Windows Defender does not automatically update its definitions.
  • WinPatrol was not mentioned.

Malwarebytes Antimalware is one of the best going.

Most Antivirus/Antimalware are useless against a zero day attack but I do use these apps to clean up other machines.

Malwarebytes Antimalware is one of the best going.

Most Antivirus/Antimalware are useless against a zero day attack but I do use these apps to clean up other machines.

Just to add my advice to all the "Newbies" and average PC users. I agree 100 %.

I have learned from you experienced members to have 2 or 3 malware scanners and updated always.

I run a Malwarebytes update and "Quick" scan everyday. I imagine on most users PC this takes around 10 mins. or less. I do this when making a few phone calls or leaving the PC for more than 10 mins.

It took about 2 to three mins. to link read and download and the update is a fresh copy everytime.

No need to worry about the file being attacked or such.

I like to keep things "simple" for average users like me. All you beautiful, important, average PC users GET IT AND USE IT. Small, fast, simple!!! :P

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Good Wishes,

:) davey

• 3 months later...

It has been made into one 19 minute video:

I still go by the advice:

? Software based firewalls are a waste of system resources. A router based firewall is much better.

IE7Pro user

It has been made into one 19 minute video:

I still go by the advice:

? Software based firewalls are a waste of system resources. A router based firewall is much better.

I just use the vista built in firewall (along with my hardware one) and really i could take it or leave it. I don't see any slow down of system with it on vs. being off so i figure what the heck. If you have enough resources then it doesn't really make a difference....

I just use the vista built in firewall (along with my hardware one) and really i could take it or leave it. I don't see any slow down of system with it on vs. being off so i figure what the heck. If you have enough resources then it doesn't really make a difference....

I am talking about Comodo or ZoneAlarm or other software firewalls.

IE7Pro user

I gave MBAM another try recently on my system having not been all that impressed when I tried it way back. The result: 6 false positives, uninstalled MBAM :rolleyes:

Did you report them?

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=42

Did you even look?

IE7Pro user

Did you report them?

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=42

Did you even look?

No, I was testing the program out. It didn't come up to scratch so it got uninstalled, simple as that (or more accurately, never actually got installed as such as I was trying it under Returnil as I do when testing out any software)

I believe that installing under Returnil prevents its major monitoring functions from being installed and thus makes it not as effective as it can be.

Why not ask the program authors about the False Positives?

IE7Pro user