Uninstalling softwares completly

Pergunta

When CCleaner uninstall a software it just run the uninstall of the software (certain).

I want you to add the feature that after that CCleaner searching for the software's

leftovers, registry files and more things - that will boost up the system and make the computer

even better (and your software :-).

When CCleaner uninstall a software it just run the uninstall of the software (certain).

I want you to add the feature that after that CCleaner searching for the software's

leftovers, registry files and more things - that will boost up the system and make the computer

Welcome Pergunta

There are several other applications available that do this already and I would not want CCleaner to have to become as bloated as Norton anti virus to have to do all their functions.

I like and use RegSeeker:

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

I then use NTREGOPT to optimize the registry:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

???? why not just run CCleaner after using the unistaller ???

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Welcome to Piriform Pergunta.

I'm afraid thats the fault of the uninstallers. Some files maybe needed by other applications therefore its not safe to remove them. If you have a decent program installed Uninstall Manager 4.30 then you would know what additional files were installed with that application. Now the name is a bit deceiving it doesn't uninstall anything it only tells you what additional files have been added to your drive. I've promoted this product before on here if you want to do a search for Uninstall Manager. Don't worry I get nothing from this product.

???? why not just run CCleaner after using the unistaller ???

No point Nergal.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

There's a few freeware titles that will do just that, look at them all and settle on what you like the most:

* Revo Uninstaller

* Total Uninstall (Last Freeware Version)

* ZSoft Uninstaller

From what I know, all of these are pretty good -- actually, I've used two of the three. But, which one do find most useful, Andavari?

• Moderators
From what I know, all of these are pretty good -- actually, I've used two of the three. But, which one do find most useful, Andavari?

They're all rather useful actually. I use Total Uninstall 2.35 (Last Freeware Version), but since it's so slow doing the after-scan (after the software is installed) I may be switching over to ZSoft Uninstaller again. Total Uninstall 2.35 (Last Freeware Version) is super slow when something has installed several thousand registry entries, verging on the point of being ridiculous.

I however do not uninstall the software with the uninstall watcher itself in my case this would be Total Uninstall. Instead I use the traditional/original uninstaller supplied with the software title, and only then do I run Total Uninstall to remove the leftovers (I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly or not however I think that was a suggestion of the ZSoft Uninstaller developer once). This is something you'll have to do with security related products such as anti-virus, and firewall that protect themselves from being uninstalled.

My theory is it's best to use either Total Uninstall 2.35 (Last Freeware Version) or ZSoft Uninstaller if you really want to track the changes an installation makes, and have the best chances afterwards of more thoroughly removing it.

I used to use Revo Uninstaller up until some time a year or two ago. However from prior experience with it it's ability to scan for leftovers has to be carefully used, and the removal list needs to be examined because sometimes it can easily remove something that shouldn't really be deleted.

I however do not uninstall the software with the uninstall watcher itself in my case this would be Total Uninstall. Instead I use the traditional/original uninstaller supplied with the software title, and only then do I run Total Uninstall to remove the leftovers (I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly or not however I think that was a suggestion of the ZSoft Uninstaller developer once).

I use both Revo and ZSoft, but have never used them to monitor an installation. (Come to think of it, I'm not sure you can "monitor" an install with Revo -- but maybe you can??).

Your approach is certainly a new and interesting one. So, with ZSoft Uninstaller (or Total Uninstall), how would you scan for leftovers once the app has been uninstalled the traditional way?

• Moderators
I use both Revo and ZSoft, but have never used them to monitor an installation. (Come to think of it, I'm not sure you can "monitor" an install with Revo -- but maybe you can??).

The last time I used Revo Uninstaller there was no tracking of an installation.

You are absolutely not using ZSoft Uninstaller to its full potential then! Letting it track installations will greatly aid in a better, more thorough uninstall of an application, the way you're using it there's a great potential of left overs remaining on your system. The uninstallers are so good they can remove left overs from a juggernaut like ZoneAlarm Firewall!

Your approach is certainly a new and interesting one. So, with ZSoft Uninstaller (or Total Uninstall), how would you scan for leftovers once the app has been uninstalled the traditional way?

You don't scan for left overs with them, you have to do a before scan to take a "snapshot" of the hard disk and registry. The report they make has most if not all of the information needed to remove an installation.

Note that when tracking installations you need to run the installed software, play around in it a bit, then close it before finalizing the tracking - that's the only proper way of fully tracking what an application does and where it will place files and registry data. Let's say you install some bloated antivirus program, what you'd want to do is let it do a full system scan, update, etc., etc., then finalize the tracking. In some cases depending soley upon the application that's installed you may still need to manually remove left over files and registry keys, but not too many.

I'd suggest reading the ZSoft Uninstaller forums for tips and such.

Edited by Andavari
I've been awake too long and my typing is bad

You know, Andavari, I think I will start using ZSoft Uninstaller as it was designed to be used. But I am curious . . . which do you think does a better job: ZSoft Uninstaller or Total Uninstall?

Also, with any of the installation monitoring uninstallers, is the uninstall itself fairly safe? Or, is there still a risk that the snapshot will allow for uninstalling something that possibly shouldn't be uninstalled (e.g., common or shared files, etc.)? In other words, is the installation system snapshot rock-solid -- or can it lead you astray and remove something it shouldn't?

• Moderators
You know, Andavari, I think I will start using ZSoft Uninstaller as it was designed to be used. But I am curious . . . which do you think does a better job: ZSoft Uninstaller or Total Uninstall?

They both do a very good job in my opinion. Of course ZSoft Uninstaller is much faster than that old version of Total Uninstall I'm using.

Also, with any of the installation monitoring uninstallers, is the uninstall itself fairly safe? Or, is there still a risk that the snapshot will allow for uninstalling something that possibly shouldn't be uninstalled (e.g., common or shared files, etc.)? In other words, is the installation system snapshot rock-solid -- or can it lead you astray and remove something it shouldn't?

It's safe if you follow the recommendations of:

* Not opening, installing, or uninstalling other programs during monitoring. Opening, installing, or uninstalling other programs is where you'll get yourself into some serious trouble.

You shouldn't have any problems with shared DLL's because to my knowledge they work on a counter according to the Total Uninstall information. In Total Uninstall it will only remove a shared DLL if it has a counter of 0 meaning; no other program is using that DLL. I don't know how ZSoft Uninstaller handles that, however I highly doubt it would automatically delete needed DLL's.

• 4 weeks later...
I however do not uninstall the software with the uninstall watcher itself in my case this would be Total Uninstall. Instead I use the traditional/original uninstaller supplied with the software title, and only then do I run Total Uninstall to remove the leftovers (I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly or not however I think that was a suggestion of the ZSoft Uninstaller developer once).

Andavari, could you comment on this a little further. Just wondering why you have chosen not to use the "analyzed" uninstall routine?

• Moderators
Andavari, could you comment on this a little further. Just wondering why you have chosen not to use the "analyzed" uninstall routine?

Because I like to use the traditional uninstaller for an application, and only rely upon the installation monitoring program to do some tidying up. Still though there are many occasions where some manual cleaning has to be done, especially in the Application Data folder.

Reason 1:

Lets discuss the application "Some Free AntiVirus App" which is able to create files such as logs, and registry data beyond the scope of the tracked installation. Now lets say "Some Free AntiVirus App" has a good uninstall routine which is smart enough to remove those extras that the installation monitoring program knows absolutely nothing about, and can't get rid of.

Reason 2:

Many if not most security related software pertaining solely to anti-malware ("anti-virus, anti-spyware"), and software-based Firewalls can not be uninstalled directly by an installation monitoring software because they have built-in self-protection (protected files, registry data, etc) and will block such attempts since it could after all be a malware infection trying to disable or silently uninstall them. Rightfully they need to protect themselves, thus their traditional uninstall routine must be used to properly remove them. A very good example would be Avast Antivirus with its built-in self-protection, which should be left alone and never disabled for very obvious reasons.

This is why I much prefer to use the traditional uninstall included with the installed software, and then use the installation monitoring program to tidy up any leftovers.

Just curious how you are using Zsoft uninstaller if you aren't tracking an install? If you are just selecting a program and and than selecting uninstall you are not doing anything different than the the built in POS Add/Remove Programs of Windows. Zsoft is made to make a snap shot of your system befor you install an app and than again after the app is installed. It compares the two and creates an uninstall log. You than use that to completely remove the app.

I follow a similar routine to Andavari but a little different. I use Revo to uninstall first. Revo uses the programs built in uninstaller first than when finished Revo goes into a scan to find left over junk and lists it for you to select what you want to keep and remove. Be careful with your selections. When in doubt leave it alone. Than after Revo is done I clean up with ZSoft.

Just curious how you are using Zsoft uninstaller if you aren't tracking an install? If you are just selecting a program and and than selecting uninstall you are not doing anything different than the the built in POS Add/Remove Programs of Windows.

You're absolutely right, Anthony, I hadn't been using ZSoft to its fullest potential -- or for the purpose for which it was designed. However, since my original post, I've started monitoring/analyzing all of my installs. So, I guess I'm up to speed now :D.

I was just curious about one of Andavari's earlier posts regarding his uninstall routine. Wasn't sure why he didn't uninstall directly out of ZSoft or Total Uninstall. But it's been clarified now.

This is how I uninstall. I think it's thorough and so far it has been safe. I try to remember to analyze the installation with ZSoft. Sometimes I'm having so much fun I forget and then use Revo. Next I open Jouni Vuorio's RegCleaner and it might, might not, list an entry or two for the uninstalled program. They are in alphabetical order, although recent entries will be first and labeled "New". It seems so safe (this could get me in trouble) that I never even check, even deleting the backups. Now even though it may only list one or two, I believe that is just a reference to (?) many and not actually one entry. It's just to much of a coincidence to only have one or two left after an uninstall every time. Next I use RegSeeker and search with the applications name and always find a half dozen or more. I often do save these backups because it's so aggressive, but as long as I see the name of the program listed I delete the entry. Sometimes it will list a few entries after a search that do not have the actual name of the program so I leave them alone. I also search My Computer>C>Program Files and delete all, sometimes relying on Unlocker. Then run %AppData% and remove all I find in both user's name and all users. There are probably some other tricks I'm not aware of like maybe searching System32 files but haven't attempted a look around there.

slowday444 the way your doing it is very chore induced, and sort of old school. :P However since it's getting the job done that's all that matters. ;)

I agree! Takes at least five minutes, however, I'm not aware of any other means. After I run the uninstallers I usually find program files, data files and of course the reg keys.