CCleaner warning message for corrupt file

rich_roc

I am using Win XP Pro SP3 with the latest version of CCleaner.

Yesterday, during a clean, it warned that there was a file or folder in the "System Volume - restore area" that is corrupt, and suggested running Chkdsk. I did this, but the warning did not go away. I also did a system restore to further investigate, and this worked fine. The warning goes away when I disable System Restore. Chkdsk did not reveal any findings as posted in Event Viewer. One other note (not sure if related) is that I uninstalled PCTools Privacy Guardian just before I got the corrupt file warning for the first time. I also did an uninstall/reinstall of CCleaner, but this did not clear the warning.

Any suggestions as to whether I really have a corrupt file or folder that needs attention? If so, any suggestions as to what to do next?

Many thanks,

Rich

I am using Win XP Pro SP3 with the latest version of CCleaner.

Yesterday, during a clean, it warned that there was a file or folder in the "System Volume - restore area" that is corrupt, and suggested running Chkdsk. I did this, but the warning did not go away. I also did a system restore to further investigate, and this worked fine. The warning goes away when I disable System Restore. Chkdsk did not reveal any findings as posted in Event Viewer. One other note (not sure if related) is that I uninstalled PCTools Privacy Guardian just before I got the corrupt file warning for the first time. I also did an uninstall/reinstall of CCleaner, but this did not clear the warning.

Any suggestions as to whether I really have a corrupt file or folder that needs attention? If so, any suggestions as to what to do next?

Many thanks,

Rich

My first thing to try would be to turn off the system restore and reboot. Turn it back on, reboot again. Then see if you get the same error.

To turn off/on system restore - right click on the "My computer icon and choose properties, and then from the box that comes up choose the system restore tab.

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

http://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings.htm

PS to all the regulars - Howdy! And long time no see! I've been working a LOT and haven't been able to chip in as much. I'm still keeping an eye out for the posts, but I'll still be working a heavy load for the next few weeks and I'm sure I'll be back on track.

My first thing to try would be to turn off the system restore and reboot. Turn it back on, reboot again. Then see if you get the same error.

To turn off/on system restore - right click on the "My computer icon and choose properties, and then from the box that comes up choose the system restore tab.

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

PS to all the regulars - Howdy! And long time no see! I've been working a LOT and haven't been able to chip in as much. I'm still keeping an eye out for the posts, but I'll still be working a heavy load for the next few weeks and I'm sure I'll be back on track.

Hi Vic,

Thanks for your reply! I forgot to mention yesterday that when I discovered the warning, I did test turning off Sys Restore and rebooting. When I did this (several cyclings of turning on and off Sys Restore), I no longer got the CCleaner warning about the corrupt file. Upon "restarting" Sys Restore and rebooting, the warning comes back. Does this bring to mind another test to try?

Thanks,

Rich

Upon "restarting" Sys Restore and rebooting, the warning comes back. Does this bring to mind another test to try?

Can you post the full text of the warning message?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Hi to you too. I thought you hadn't been around for a while. Nice to see you and don't work too hard. :)

Can you post the full text of the warning message?

Hi YoKenny,

Here is the latest one. They appears as balloon messages in the notification area:

CCleaner.exe - Corrupt File

The file or directory \System Volume Information\_restore{000CD547-0129-4B27-B8E2-A61171E8ACE7} is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

Thanks for your help,

Rich

Have you actually ran the Chkdsk application?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Sounds like a corrupt restore point to me.

1. I'd first run ChkDsk.

2. After the system restarts make a new restore point.

3. Delete all old restore points by running Windows own built-in Disk Cleaner, and clicking the More Options tab, then click Clean up under System Restore.

Sounds like a corrupt restore point to me.

1. I'd first run ChkDsk.

2. After the system restarts make a new restore point.

3. Delete all old restore points by running Windows own built-in Disk Cleaner, and clicking the More Options tab, then click Clean up under System Restore.

Andavari,

I tried these steps, with no change in the result....still gives the same warning message for the same corrput file/folder. Registry problem? Other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Rich

• Moderators

Is this balloon popup just when you use CCleaner or does it happen when you run other programs as well, even on boot as well perhaps.?

Did you choose 'automatically fix file system errors' when running Chkdsk?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Is this balloon popup just when you use CCleaner or does it happen when you run other programs as well, even on boot as well perhaps.?

Did you choose 'automatically fix file system errors' when running Chkdsk?

Yes, I did chose the 'auto fix file sys errors' option when running Chkdsk.

The balloon popup only occurs when using CCleaner, and only after the "Run Cleaner" button is pushed. It occurs everytime this button is pushed, regardless of what (if anything) is listed under "files to be deleted".

Yes, I did chose the 'auto fix file sys errors' option when running Chkdsk.

The balloon popup only occurs when using CCleaner, and only after the "Run Cleaner" button is pushed. It occurs everytime this button is pushed, regardless of what (if anything) is listed under "files to be deleted".

Based on the questions and answers in this thread, and the observation that this warning only occurs when using CCleaner, am I to suggest that this is a CCleaner bug, or are there additional tests you would suggest? I am not aware of any other issues with my system or software.

Thanks,

Rich

Based on the questions and answers in this thread, and the observation that this warning only occurs when using CCleaner, am I to suggest that this is a CCleaner bug, or are there additional tests you would suggest? I am not aware of any other issues with my system or software.

Thanks,

Rich

I would have to say that this looks like it may be a bug. Then the problem becomes, what's causing it when so many others are using the current version without this bug. I'm wondering what sort of other system tools you may have for security. Many of my questions lean this way. What I'm getting at, is if any of those programs may have some sort of protection for the System Restore. I'm really hoping not, but are you running any of the Norton/Symantec or McAfee products? And/or is the computer in question a Toshiba. I think they have their own special backup system. Maybe this will point someone else into thinking along these lines too and have a solution for you.

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

I would have to say that this looks like it may be a bug. Then the problem becomes, what's causing it when so many others are using the current version without this bug. I'm wondering what sort of other system tools you may have for security. Many of my questions lean this way. What I'm getting at, is if any of those programs may have some sort of protection for the System Restore. I'm really hoping not, but are you running any of the Norton/Symantec or McAfee products? And/or is the computer in question a Toshiba. I think they have their own special backup system. Maybe this will point someone else into thinking along these lines too and have a solution for you.

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

Thanks Vic,

My system is a generic Intel PC, not Toshiba. I use F-Secure Internet Security, Adaware, SpyBot S&D, Win Defender. I was using (in addition to CCleaner) Privacy Guardian to clean out my system routinely. Just before I started getting these error messages about the corrupt file, I uninstalled Privacy Guardian. Here are the details of the latest "popup" error window from Event Viewer and the Microsoft Link:

Application popup: CCleaner.exe - Corrupt File : The file or directory \System Volume Information\_restore{000CD547-0129-4B27-B8E2-A61171E8ACE7} is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

OK, so I clicked the link, and here's what I got:

Details

Product: Windows Operating System

ID: 26

Source: Application Popup

Version: 5.0

Symbolic Name: status_log_hard_error

Message: Unable to Load Device Driver : device driver could not be loaded.

Explanation

The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action

To correct this problem:

Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location.

If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support Services.

Version: 5.2

Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR

Explanation

The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action

To correct this problem:

Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access the directory in which the driver is installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx.

So, if I take the above at face value, perhaps I am missing a driver CCleaner needs, or this driver is corrupt? One other note....just before the balloon pops up, and CCleaner is well into 'Run Cleaner' mode, my A:\ floppy drive lights up.

Thanks again,

Rich

Thanks Vic,

My system is a generic Intel PC, not Toshiba. I use F-Secure Internet Security, Adaware, SpyBot S&D, Win Defender. I was using (in addition to CCleaner) Privacy Guardian to clean out my system routinely. Just before I started getting these error messages about the corrupt file, I uninstalled Privacy Guardian. Here are the details of the latest "popup" error window from Event Viewer and the Microsoft Link:

Application popup: CCleaner.exe - Corrupt File : The file or directory \System Volume Information\_restore{000CD547-0129-4B27-B8E2-A61171E8ACE7} is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

OK, so I clicked the link, and here's what I got:

Details

Product: Windows Operating System

ID: 26

Source: Application Popup

Version: 5.0

Symbolic Name: status_log_hard_error

Message: Unable to Load Device Driver : device driver could not be loaded.

Explanation

User Action

To correct this problem:

Version: 5.2

Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR

Explanation

User Action

To correct this problem:

Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access the directory in which the driver is installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx.

So, if I take the above at face value, perhaps I am missing a driver CCleaner needs, or this driver is corrupt? One other note....just before the balloon pops up, and CCleaner is well into 'Run Cleaner' mode, my A:\ floppy drive lights up.

Thanks again,

Rich

Dear Forum:

This problem has gone away...as mysteriously as it first appeared. I don't have an explanation. Hopefully, it won't be back. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Rich

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks for letting us know Rich. :)

I am new to this forum not new to using CCleaner I use it daily ,since I am a blogger I encourage my readers to use it as well.This CCleaner corrput file error was experinced by me recent time and to make the solution it avialble to all I provided the solution in the blog it self.Here you can read the solution for CCleaner.exe corrupt file error.

http://computersservicing.blogspot.com/200...rrupt-file.html

I will be happy if you include this solution in CCleaner faqs.It must be useful to all.

• Moderators

You must not have read all this thread as the original poster had already done this.

Also don't see the need to put this in faq's as the error message itself tell the user to run Chkdsk.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I do not know why "This problem has gone away...as mysteriously as it first appeared. "

I have the impression that chksk was used, and failed to correct the problem. That suggests the individual disk sectors have no checksum errors, and that what can now be read is what was originally written together with checksums.

It says nothing about the integrity of the INFORMATION (as distinct from raw DATA), so the error is more likely to be at a higher level - where the information was composed.

The error message was

"\System Volume Information\_restore{000CD547-0129-4B27-B8E2-A61171E8ACE7} is corrupt ..."

That tells me that the overall folder is corrupt, and not the individual folders for each of the dated Restore Points.

In this situation it might be better NOT to create a new Restore Point and then delete the old points, because the new point will still be held in a corrupt container.

Instead I suggest that System Restore should be totally turned off, then perhaps a reboot for luck, then look to ensure that "\System Volume Information\_restore ..." has been removed - and if it is still present get rid rid of it - if you succeeded in cancelling System Restore then with a bit of luck Windows will be less insistent upon rejecting any attempt to delete it.

Get rid of it - even if you have to go into SAFE mode and/or "take ownership of a file."

Once System Restore has gone, THEN you can restart System Restore, and it should now RECREATE a brand new

"\System Volume Information\_restore{000CD547-0129-4B27-B8E2-A61171E8ACE7}"

in which to place a new Restore Point, instead of trying to re-use a corrupt folder.

rich_roc hopes this problem does not come back. Hopefully the above may help if it does return.

Regards

Alan