DirectX Update

Tom AZ

I just downloaded the most recent DirectX update. Shortly into the install, it asks: "Where do you want to place the extracted files." I drew a blank -- don't really know :blink: . I have a "DirectX" folder (with a "Setup" sub-folder) in "My Program Files" folder. Is there where they go?

• Moderators

1. Just unpack them into this: C:\DirectX

2. Run: C:\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe

3. After installation delete that "C:\DirectX" folder.

4. Restart Windows, even though you won't be told to do so.

It's the redistribution package which I think is mainly used by game developers, hence the reason it unpacks like that.

Personally I unpack it everytime then just make a SFX self installing archive.

EDIT: Gave the wrong path in #2. Added #4.

Heh, gotta be the filehippo or majorgeeks directX download. I always hated that. What good is a self extracting archive without an initial installer? Probably a condition of directX's policy for 3rd party vendors.

I just downloaded the most recent DirectX update. Shortly into the install, it asks: "Where do you want to place the extracted files." I drew a blank -- don't really know :blink:

Yes Tom the file is a self extractor you just choose a folder to extract too. You can right-click on the file and open with WinZip and extract to where ever you want too. Then run Dxsetup.exe in that folder.

Now I've had bad results downloading and installing DirectX 9.0. I downloaded DirectX 9.0c (March 08) and DirectX 9.0c (June 08) version from FileHippo and Majorgeeks. They both download ok but when you run Dxsetup.exe it always comes up with problems of corrupted files and stops. The only version I can get to install is DirectX 9.0c (Nov 07). ;)

There is a DirectX 9.0c (Aug 08) out now but I haven't tried that one yet.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

Tom I think Andavari made a mistake in what he had written in point 2 regarding a word he used.

He came back and edited it and has let you know he had done so.

He also added a forth point.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

There is a DirectX 9.0c (Aug 08) out now but I haven't tried that one yet.

Its a 82.3MB download that produces a self extracting executable that will enable you to run Dxsetup.exe

Go to start then Run... then enter dxdiag to run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool which will permit you to see the file versions and install date plus run the tests to see the spinning 3D cube and listen to the birdy sounds and such.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Now I've had bad results downloading and installing DirectX 9.0. I downloaded DirectX 9.0c (March 08) and DirectX 9.0c (June 08) version from FileHippo and Majorgeeks. They both download ok but when you run Dxsetup.exe it always comes up with problems of corrupted files and stops. The only version I can get to install is DirectX 9.0c (Nov 07). ;)

Based on Keith's comment, has anyone tried this latest update yet?

Based on Keith's comment, has anyone tried this latest update yet?
Its running fine on XP Pro.

See my Post Today, 01:18 PM

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Which version are you downloading Tom? DirectX 9.0c (March 08) or DirectX 9.0c (June 08)? As I've said these two versions are always corrupt when I try to use them. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Which version are you downloading Tom? DirectX 9.0c (March 08) or DirectX 9.0c (June 08)? As I've said these two versions are always corrupt when I try to use them. ;)

Thinking about the latest -- Aug 08.

Thinking about the latest -- Aug 08.

So you're only thinking about the latest you haven't tried any of the earlier versions? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators
Tom I think Andavari made a mistake in what he had written in point 2 regarding a word he used.

He came back and edited it and has let you know he had done so.

He also added a forth point.

That's exactly it! ;)

Its running fine on XP Pro.

Same here, and I'm using the latest one Aug 08.

I also always right click the file and look at the signature to make sure the VeriSign signature if valid (note that not all downloads have a signature, however Microsoft is well known for signing there's). I won't install anything that has an invalid signature as that can mean the file has been tampered with. So far all the FileHippo.com downloads of DirectX have valid VeriSign signatures.

Ok Tom I've downloaded DirectX 9.0c (Aug08) from FileHippo and just the same as before there is something corrupt in the files. I have a DirectX.log and DXError.log files and it says

Unable to iterate through C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\dxdllreg_x86.cab. The file may be damaged.

As Andavari says

So far all the FileHippo.com downloads of DirectX have valid VeriSign signatures.

Whether that is a problem on that site. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Ok Tom I've downloaded DirectX 9.0c (Aug08) from FileHippo and just the same as before there is something corrupt in the files. I have a DirectX.log and DXError.log files and it says

Unable to iterate through C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\dxdllreg_x86.cab. The file may be damaged.

As Andavari says

So far all the FileHippo.com downloads of DirectX have valid VeriSign signatures.

Whether that is a problem on that site. ;)

I just downloaded DirectX 9.0c (Aug08) from FileHippo with IE7 then unpacked it then installed it on my XP Home system without a problem.

IE7Pro user

1. Just unpack them into this: C:\DirectX

2. Run: C:\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe

3. After installation delete that "C:\DirectX" folder.

4. Restart Windows, even though you won't be told to do so.

It's the redistribution package which I think is mainly used by game developers, hence the reason it unpacks like that.

Personally I unpack it everytime then just make a SFX self installing archive.

EDIT: Gave the wrong path in #2. Added #4.

I've appreciated all of the input on this subject. I haven't done anything yet, but I was wondering about a "DirectX" folder I currently have -- apparently from a previous install.

The path is as follows: c:\ -> Program Files -> DirectX -> Setup. Nothing in the DirectX folder other than the Setup sub-folder -- and only one file in the Setup folder is "DxDiag". Can this whole DirectX folder (along with the Setup sub-folder) be deleted?

I've appreciated all of the input on this subject. I haven't done anything yet, but I was wondering about a "DirectX" folder I currently have -- apparently from a previous install.

The path is as follows: c:\ -> Program Files -> DirectX -> Setup. Nothing in the DirectX folder other than the Setup sub-folder -- and only one file in the Setup folder is "DxDiag". Can this whole DirectX folder (along with the Setup sub-folder) be deleted?

I don't have a DirectX Folder in Program Files so delete away.

After the update maybe its a good time to do a defrag.

IE7Pro user

BTW- Run->dxdiag will run \WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe

This can be useful if you are suffering from a/v problems. I'm sure this is well known but some people don't know about it.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

I just downloaded DirectX 9.0c (Aug08) from FileHippo with IE7 then unpacked it then installed it on my XP Home system without a problem.

Well I don't know whats happening to the file I've downloaded the last two versions from FileHippo and everytime the file has been corrupted. Even the last Aug08 is corrupted as well.

The path is as follows: c:\ -> Program Files -> DirectX -> Setup. Nothing in the DirectX folder other than the Setup sub-folder

All thats in the Program Files\DirectX\Setup folder is a short-cut to dxdiag.exe.

BTW- Run->dxdiag will run \WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe

Because the Windows\System32 is in the Windows path you don't have to give the full path filename just Run: dxdiag.exe ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Well I don't know whats happening to the file I've downloaded the last two versions from FileHippo and everytime the file has been corrupted. Even the last Aug08 is corrupted as well.
What browser are you using and how are you downloading the 80MB file?

What I did was make a Folder called C:\DirectX then I downloaded the 80MB file with IE7 into my C:\Download Folder then ran it selecting the C:\DirectX Folder then I went to that Folder and ran DXSETUP.exe and then it ran for a while so I ran dxdiag and checked that the files were updated.

IE7Pro user

What browser are you using and how are you downloading the 80MB file?

What I did was make a Folder called C:\DirectX then I downloaded the 80MB file with IE7 into my C:\Download Folder then ran it selecting the C:\DirectX Folder then I went to that Folder and ran DXSETUP.exe and then it ran for a while so I ran dxdiag and checked that the files were updated.

I didn't download it at home because I'm on dialup I when to work yesterday afternoon to download it, it took2 minutes to download the 80Mb. At work I use IE 6.0.

The folder? I ran the exe and as normal it asks for the folder name to extract to. I gave it Windows\Temp and it started to extract then it came up with an error. So I right-clicked on the file and selected open with WinZip and extracted all the files to Windows\Temp which it did without a problem. Then when I tried to run DXsetup.exe the errors came back again files attached. ;)

DXError.zip

DXError.zip

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I didn't download it at home because I'm on dialup I when to work yesterday afternoon to download it, it took2 minutes to download the 80Mb. At work I use IE 6.0.

The folder? I ran the exe and as normal it asks for the folder name to extract to. I gave it Windows\Temp and it started to extract then it came up with an error. So I right-clicked on the file and selected open with WinZip and extracted all the files to Windows\Temp which it did without a problem. Then when I tried to run DXsetup.exe the errors came back again files attached. ;)

I guess its one of the obsolete Win98's many problems.

Don't install it in a TEMP Folder.

Try making a C:\DIRECTX FOLDER and run the exe and point to C:\DIRECTX then run the setup exe.

Maybe DirectX is not supported on Win98 :blink:

IE7Pro user