CCleaner cannot delete tmp file in C:\ root folder

libanjon

I don't know if this one is a bug.... I noticed that CCleaner does not delete tmp files in the C:\root folder. I am using Windows XP and I just installed CCleaner Ver. 2.10.618.

Welcome libanjon

What are the tmp file names that are not deleted?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Welcome libanjon

What are the tmp file names that are not deleted?

In windows XP, a lot of tmp files are randomly created by the OS while windows programs are running. (Example below:) The files will just keep on piling if you don't manually delete it.

C:\>dir *.tmp

Volume in drive C has no label.

Volume Serial Number is C061-EE73

Directory of C:\

02/08/2008 04:24 PM 0 11.tmp

02/08/2008 05:02 PM 0 1A.tmp

02/08/2008 05:05 PM 0 1C.tmp

02/08/2008 04:15 PM 0 D.tmp

02/08/2008 04:17 PM 0 F.tmp

5 File(s) 0 bytes

0 Dir(s) 20,934,868,992 bytes free

What I see:

Volume in drive C is IBM_PRELOAD

Volume Serial Number is BC33-66F9

File Not Found

It could be an application that you are using that is using C:\ as a tmp storage Folder.

What applications are you currently running?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

What I see:

Volume in drive C is IBM_PRELOAD

Volume Serial Number is BC33-66F9

File Not Found

It could be an application that you are using that is using C:\ as a tmp storage Folder.

What applications are you currently running?

I have the standard MS office applications and lotus notes. If i follow your logic, when then can I delete the tmp files using a simple DOS command to delete it?

I have the standard MS office applications and lotus notes. If i follow your logic, when then can I delete the tmp files using a simple DOS command to delete it?

Sorry for the typo, should be..... WHY then can I delete the tmp files using a simple DOS command to delete it? If you already don't have tmp files in your root folder, of course CCleaner can't clean it because it's not there in the first place.

If you mean in CC going to "Options> Include> Add File" then your right. Cant select what isnt there. You either have to wait until the file(s) are created again so you can select it (and change the file name to *.tmp) or you have to add a line to your 'CCleaner.ini' such as...

Include1=PATH|C:\|*.tmp

Maybe my english is so bad you still don't understand what i mean. Anyways, try to manually create a file named "test.tmp" in C:\ folder. Run CCleaner and check whether the file is deleted. The file is a "tmp" file, it should be deleted without any special configuration as u suggested.

Maybe my english is so bad you still don't understand what i mean. Anyways, try to manually create a file named "test.tmp" in C:\ folder. Run CCleaner and check whether the file is deleted. The file is a "tmp" file, it should be deleted without any special configuration as u suggested.

Hello libanjon,

What is happening in my view is that you may have a misunderstanding of what CCleaner "cleans".

Unlike many other "cleaners" CCleaner does it's best to prevent users from doing unsafe practices unless they actually put requests for cleaning using the Include feature as Disk4mat has suggested.

Many "cleaner" programs make it too easy for users to perform these procedures. As a result they get a bad reputation as "dangerous" to use. CCleaner does not want to get such a reputation.

The ares for cleaning can be found in the .INI files that are embedded in the program itself.

These will show you exactly what is to be cleaned.

You can get a copy of these .ini files at this link.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=110667

This is a friendly forum. Please read and follow the rules.

Links to the rules can be found at the top of most forums.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?act=an...p;f=4&id=15

Best wishes,

:) davey

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

Beginners advice

Start here with this link and follow its advice.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=105208

Also see this link about the Registry and newbies.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=96510

Come back and let us know how you did and what else we can help you with. There are lots of easy things to learn. One step at time.

Thanks kenny!

I'm still having the same problem though.... I have set my windows environment user variables like this:

TMP C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

TEMP C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

This is my CCleaner.ini:

[Options]

Language=1033

UpdateKey=08/13/2008 06:04:41 PM

BackupDir=C:\Program Files\CCleaner

MSG_CONFIRMCLEAN=False

WINDOW_MAX=1

WINDOW_LEFT=202

WINDOW_TOP=144

WINDOW_WIDTH=620

WINDOW_HEIGHT=450

MSG_WARNMOZCACHE=False

(App)Old Prefetch data=True

(App)Menu Order Cache=False

(App)Tray Notifications Cache=False

(App)Window Size/Location Cache=True

(App)User Assist History=True

(App)IIS Log Files=True

(App)Hotfix Uninstallers=True

(App)Custom Folders=True

Include1=PATH|C:\|*.tmp

CustomFiles=

CustomFolders=

The tmp files in the root folder seems to be created with a random name that goes like this; 2B.tmp, 2D.TMP etc. I'm sure that these files are created by some application but I can't pinpoint the exact program. Anyway, If I manually create a tmp file in the root of my drive, it's not being deleted by CCleaner as well. I have tried using other utilities such as Emptemp and it has no problem deleting the files.

So what your saying is that CC should 'search' your drive looking for and cleaning all files with the TMP extension? Because without 'special configuration' how else would CC know where to look and what to clean?

Edit: I saw the new thread where you posted that 'nobody seems to care.... or nobody knows the solution'. You got both from me.

After thinking about this a bit more I realized that.. CC detects your temp folder as specified in System Properties, Advanced, Enviroment Variables. If 3rd party software is ignoring the enviroment and dumping temp files in the root of your drive then you two options. Contact the vendor and let them know about the issue or... Make the accomodation in CC to scan the specific location for the specified file(s). Thats what winapp2.ini is for. Or the original suggestion I made. Either will give you the results your looking for.

Sorry, I misquote your name. Anyways, Thanks Disk4mat.

Those files could be created by malware.

Download RogueRemover and MBAM then update their definition files to the latest available then run them:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If MBAM finds something then insure you let it remove what it finds then reboot to let the locked files be removed.

Post back their results.

IE7Pro user

Those files could be created by malware.

Download RogueRemover and MBAM then update their definition files to the latest available then run them:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If MBAM finds something then insure you let it remove what it finds then reboot to let the locked files be removed.

Post back their results.

I don't think it's caused by a malware. I have encountered this issue in all windows XP pc. The root folder will always have a zero byte tmp files after using the system for a while. i've seen these zero byte files in my home pc, my work pc, my laptop, few client pc's... all in running windows xp pro. I think it's a CCleaner BUG!

• Moderators

lebanjon,

CCleaner cleans my c/temp file and always has.

The only thing I seem to get in it is a EmlResize_0.log file.

I first noticed this in 2006

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=4680

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I don't know if a program will dump temp files into the root directory or not if the Windows temp path variables are messed up, but I suppose anything is possible.

Sometimes if a temp folder is missing such as %userprofile%\local settings\temp that will make some programs non-functional if they use that folder and they won't load.

If I were to see random tmp files appearing in my root directory I'd do a malware scan first. Then I'd start launching all of my applications one at a time to see if they're created by a legitimate program.

I don't think it's caused by a malware. I have encountered this issue in all windows XP pc. The root folder will always have a zero byte tmp files after using the system for a while. i've seen these zero byte files in my home pc, my work pc, my laptop, few client pc's... all in running windows xp pro. I think it's a CCleaner BUG!

Try them.

I think you will like them and it will definitely prove if the system has some known malware.

Kuala Lumpur must be fantastic but I have not been there but I was working in Jakarta, Indonesia for 5 weeks once.

IE7Pro user

Try them.

I think you will like them and it will definitely prove if the system has some known malware.

Kuala Lumpur must be fantastic but I have not been there but I was working in Jakarta, Indonesia for 5 weeks once.

Whether the tmp file is created by malware, spyware, adware or any other program, the issue remains that CCleaner should delete those files. The title of my post is "CCleaner cannot delete tmp file in C:\ root folder" so I would love to hear/read a reply on how to configure CCleaner to delete the tmp files. I have configured my CCleaner as suggested by earlier posts and run CCleaner but the files are still not deleted. If i delete the files manually in the explorer view, there is no problem... no message from the OS that the files are being used by a program. The best way to prove my point is; try manually creating creating a tmp file in the c: root folder and check whether CCleaner can clean the file.

• Moderators

I'm on XP Home, I don't have any .tmp files on my C drive, but a few similarly named zero-byte files in C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Local Settings\Temp (rather surprisingly I don't have Clear Temp Files ticked).

As has been pointed out these files are most probable being created by some application, not the OS. If you enter 'tmp files c drive' (no quotes) in Google there are many others with the same problem which seems to be caused by some application. It may be possible that you can identify what is creating the tmp files on your pc from these postings.

CC cleans known system and popular application temp files from known locations. If it tries to clean files where it doesn't know what created them (as in the case of .tmp files on the c drive) it would be asking for trouble.

Your English is excellent, by the way.

I take it that you have ''only over 48 hours'' rule unticked in CCleaner advanced options?

Just checking :)

Hazelnut, The first time I encountered the issue, I have tried all the advance settings of CCleaner.... the key-word is "ROOT FOLDER" not "WINDOWS\Temp" folder!.

I think nobody really understand what I'm trying to say... Did u try my suggestion to manually create a tmp file?

I'm on XP Home, I don't have any .tmp files on my C drive, but a few similarly named zero-byte files in C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Local Settings\Temp (rather surprisingly I don't have Clear Temp Files ticked).

As has been pointed out these files are most probable being created by some application, not the OS. If you enter 'tmp files c drive' (no quotes) in Google there are many others with the same problem which seems to be caused by some application. It may be possible that you can identify what is creating the tmp files on your pc from these postings.

CC cleans known system and popular application temp files from known locations. If it tries to clean files where it doesn't know what created them (as in the case of .tmp files on the c drive) it would be asking for trouble.

Your English is excellent, by the way.

Augeas, I understand that the tmp files may have been created by some applications. I'm just confused on what you said that

"CC cleans known system and popular application temp files from known locations. If it tries to clean files where it doesn't know what created them (as in the case of .tmp files on the c drive) it would be asking for trouble."

As suggested by Disk4mat, I have included this line; "Include1=PATH|C:\|*.tmp " in my CCleaner.ini. By including this line, I thought i am letting CC know the location and the files to delete. Is this line particularly asking for trouble that's why CC don't delete the tmp files?

As suggested by Disk4mat, I have included this line; "Include1=PATH|C:\|*.tmp " in my CCleaner.ini. By including this line, I thought i am letting CC know the location and the files to delete. Is this line particularly asking for trouble that's why CC don't delete the tmp files?
First let me apologize for being overly critical earlier.

You're right. By using the 'Include' your telling CC to remove all files with the tmp ext. on the root of the drive. I did some experimenting and I see the problem now.

If you enter the full file name, CC will find and remove it. But when using the wild card, it simply dosent work. This is strange because I have a dozen files and folders in the include list. All of them use a wild card. So apparently it is a bug.