URGENT: Vista Updates cleanout!

Casey44

I'm used making disk-images as a backupmethod.

After each update from MS, the image grows fatter. so...

No doubt all the update-downloads and uninstall possibilities are kept somewhere.

Like in XP: All those C:\Win\$UnInstallKB??????$ folders and C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB?????? files.

After a short time those may well be deleted.

:angry: I want to clean this out! Vista is on a laptop, so no quick putting in an extra HD like in my desktop.

The OS has doubled in size by now, without my installing much apps.

If anyone can find where this garbage is, it should be the waste-disposal people of Pirifom ;)

... or any of you guys on this here forum???

I'm sure this can be narrowed down to one folder.

C:\Windows\winsxs\

That is the folder that keeps growing and growing. Currently mine is pushing 8GB.

However, it is essential to Vista's operation so DO NOT mess with it.

At this time there is no way, that I know of, to reduce the size of this folder.

Sorry.

They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing, or ger. WOAH there they go!!!!!!!

~Otto

How to use CCleaner on a Flash Drive (pre v2.0)

C:\Windows\winsxs\

That is the folder that keeps growing and growing. Currently mine is pushing 8GB.

However, it is essential to Vista's operation so DO NOT mess with it.

At this time there is no way, that I know of, to reduce the size of this folder.

Sorry.

Isn't this ridiculous :angry:

Strange thing, I've been googling many times about it, but seem to be the only person having an issue with it :blink:

Those GB's one time... well, ok?. But in each and very backup (disk-image), grrrr...

Isn't this ridiculous :angry:

Strange thing, I've been googling many times about it, but seem to be the only person having an issue with it :blink:

Those GB's one time... well, ok?. But in each and very backup (disk-image), grrrr...

Hi Casey,

I have learned some good info from this short thread.

How many GB do you have in there ?

Mushu13 says she HE has 8 GB already and Vista hasn't been around too long.

I hope for your sake that MS has a plan to resolve this.

Maybe an even trade-in for WinXP ?

Like the "pork barrel" politicians said.

What's a few $ Billion here and a few $ Billion there between friends?

Except after a while, we are talking about real money !!! :lol: Politicians :lol::( Taxpayers :angry:

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. DLLHell ? Where have I have heard that before ? I must have missed out on such an "exciting" time in PC History. :P Mushu 13,Thanks for the great follow up post. You "Geek" !!! :lol:

Edited by davey

Hi Casey,

I have learned some good info from this short thread.

How many GB do you have in there ?

Mushu13 says she has 8 GB already and Vista hasn't been around too long.

I hope for your sake that MS has a plan to resolve this.

Maybe an even trade-in for WinXP ?

Like the "pork barrel" politicians said.

What's a few $ Billion here and a few $ Billion there between friends?

Except after a while, we are talking about real money !!! :lol: Politicians :lol::( Taxpayers :angry:

Good luck,

*cough*I'm a guy*cough*

I doubt MS will do much about this, it is a feature that was first introduced in XP. XP's version never really did much so with the new security restrictions of Vista it allows MS to enforce WinSxS. This all may sound stupid, but for people like me that help manage several dozens of computers (a few 98s, a few dozen 2Ks, XPs, 2K3s, Vistas) or those that have been a computer tinkerer for a while, this feature ends the aptly-named DLLHell problems.

I did some research on removing/disabling WinSxS and it turns out there is a way. However, I warn that it is VERY unsafe and in my opinion, not worth it. For those of us that are familiar with customizing a Windows build there is a tool called vLite, vLite is a tool created by the same programmer as nLite. vLite it used to modify the installation disk of Vista and there is an option to remove WinSxS. Before you go ripping apart and reinstalling Vista, poke over to the vLite webiste and explore the vLite subforum at MSFN. Also, if you do decide to give it a chance, be sure to test in VMware and/or install it on a separate partition/harddisk.

If vLite sounds too risky, you could also forgo the entire disk backup procedure and use a standard Base+Incremental backup system. Where you make one full disk backup, then after that only backup the files that change. Most backup utilities have this.

I think that one of my longest/most informational/geekiest posts!

They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing, or ger. WOAH there they go!!!!!!!

~Otto

I might have missed something here. I thought CC already had the capability to remove hotfix uninstallers?

I also image my drive as means of backup and my images never exceed 3 GB's. I use Acronis and exclude files like the page file and system restore folder. Which application do you use for imaging?

My WinSXS folder is 1.85 GB's. There are tons of multimedia files that can be removed. Just the tutorial and getting started videos add up! I also noticed that my Installer folder is 765 MB's. Not much can be done about that (C:\Windows\Installer).

I have windows update set to manual and I DL individual updates and install as needed. Since SP1, I've installed 1 additional update. I used vLite as mushu13 mentioned to make my SP1 integrated install. Worked perfectly and I got rid of alot of junk I didnt need.

*cough*I'm a guy*cough*

I doubt MS will do much about this, it is a feature that was first introduced in XP. XP's version never really did much so with the new security restrictions of Vista it allows MS to enforce WinSxS. This all may sound stupid, but for people like me that help manage several dozens of computers (a few 98s, a few dozen 2Ks, XPs, 2K3s, Vistas) or those that have been a computer tinkerer for a while, this feature ends the aptly-named DLLHell problems.

Following paragraph EDITED by :) davey Not out of disrespect but to avoid more complications, "bugs", updates, and forums to read etc. etc. for users who may try such a thing. All the "geeks" and "techies" already know this stuff.

Most of us are already leading entirely too hectic lives as it is.

I did some research on removing/disabling WinSxS and it turns out there is a way. However, I warn that it is VERY unsafe and in my opinion, not worth it. For those of us that are familiar with customizing a Windows build there is a tool called vLite, vLite is a tool created by the same programmer as nLite. vLite it used to modify the installation disk of Vista and there is an option to remove WinSxS. Before you go ripping apart and reinstalling Vista, poke over to the vLite webiste and explore the vLite subforum at MSFN. Also, if you do decide to give it a chance, be sure to test in VMware and/or install it on a separate partition/harddisk.
If vLite sounds too risky, you could also forgo the entire disk backup procedure and use a standard Base+Incremental backup system. Where you make one full disk backup, then after that only backup the files that change. Most backup utilities have this.

I think that one of my longest/most informational/geekiest posts!

As expected I would go along with the final quote.

Casey, I hope the "PC Fairy" visits you and leaves behind a nice external Hard Drive for back-up purposes as the fairy did for me.

Following paragraph EDITED by :) davey Not out of disrespect but to avoid more complications, "bugs", updates, and forums to read etc. etc. for users who may try such a thing. All the "geeks" and "techies" already know this stuff.

Most of us are already leading entirely too hectic lives as it is.

As expected I would go along with the final quote.

Casey, I hope the "PC Fairy" visits you and leaves behind a nice external Hard Drive for back-up purposes as the fairy did for me.

My "PC Fairy" was my pension:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=16981

I'm glad it wasn't lepdancescp.gif

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

My "PC Fairy" turned out to be someone that I had helped.

I was already adequately rewarded with all the coffee or Root Beer I could guzzle and much of his wifes Polish "Down home" cooking.

I would have brought my own coffee and Root Beer supply but the meals were a reward themselves.

Nothing like real "home cooked" food. Sadly, I fall short in that area of expertise. I can do a good job of cleaning up afterwards though. Especially in the "doggie bag" duties. :P

Karen's Replicator may also come in handy for some more Polish "goodies" or maybe Central American or

"good ole Southern cookin' ".

@Casey44

Ignore my vLite recommendation, it's simply to much work.

@Disk4mat

This isn't hotfix uninstallers, this is Windows Side-by-Side, and it should not be messed with.

@Davey

Thanks for the fix. ;)

Yeah, I should know better than to assume someone could handle vLite without knowledge of their skills. Plus, it really becomes a large time commitment that could be better used working to buy a dedicated backup drive finding the "PC Fairy".

I was lucky enough for the "PC Fairy" to leave me an abandoned SATA storage array in the "this junk needs recycled"-bin in the campus IT department last month. (They recently did a major server upgrade, and there was no room for this old array.) The array was broken, but it contained five 200GB WD SATA drives! I nearly passed out when I was told I could have it! :lol:

One was completely dead, and one had a broken connector, two are serving as dedicated Backup and Video Storage drives, with the other awaiting an unknown purpose.

I should give the "PC Fairy" a hug if I ever find her... ;)

~Otto

Look guys -cough- ladies, cosy chat it's becoming, yeah. But

I'm not looking for a light version of Vista, if that's what nVista is?

I just notice that when I do a -say- 500kB update, that my Vista grows by about triple that, or more. :angry:

From XP I know that ?$ wants to keep all downloads, install-files and uninstall-files of each and every update for eternity embedded in my OS.

For reasons mentioned I don't (and no, I don't like incremental backups. Too much risk, too much complication)

It's like driving my car around with every mechanic that ever worked on it in the backseats or a trailer, clutching tools, spare parts, old parts, manuals,...

Sounds ridiculous? Well thats how it is with Vista!

I can't believe that of all those people analysing and rummaging around in Vista no-one ever looked into this :blink::blink:

:huh: But seems to be the case :huh:

We'll wait and see

Mushu13: What I was trying to confirm is that under Vista, the checkbox in CC for 'Hotfix uninstallers' dosent apply? But I think I figured out the answer+reason.

Casey44: With Vista the individual updates all use a common installer/uninstaller. So we wont find 50+ uninstaller files. Vista does keep copies of the files contained in the update(s). It only answers part of the question. Found a few intersting sites along the way though.

http://blogs.technet.com/mu/default.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/updatemanagement/bb259683.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/windowsupdate/default.mspx

When all else fails...
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US