IE 7 History Missing after using CCleaner

hesyst

I download CCleaner.exe and used it successfully - Great program!

However, now no matter what I do IE7 history no longer is visible at all - the panel is BLANK.

I'm using XP Home SP3.

It worked as it should before I ran CCleaner, so I know that's what made it blank.

I've tried registry changes, created a new user, etc. Is there something I should be doing with CCleaner - or is there something I need to check (or uncheck) to make the IE7 browsing history appear? I really need it to go back to webpages I recently visited.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Hello hesyst, and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately I can't help you recover your history.

But I can help you keep your future browsing in your history.

In Cleaner>Internet Explorer>uncheck history.

Heres a link to CCleaners guide: http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

Let us know if you need more help.

Jamin4u

Thanks for the help - but it didn't work.

I unchecked the History box and ran CCleaner again, but the history window is completely blank. It shows nothing - not even the "Today" that usually appears.

I've even deleted the History folder in my C:\Documents and settings\myname\local settings and then allowed IE7 to automatically re-generate that folder the next time it's opened, but it's still blank after doing that.

Something seems to be hiding the appearance of the history. Favorites show fine in the window, but no history.

I don't care about previous history - I'd just like the current history to be there. I only have my settings to keep 2 days of history anyway.

Here's more information that may or may not help.

I just installed Super WinSpy so I could check the contents of the index.dat file in my C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Local Settings file.

Every website I've visited since I deleted the History folder (as explained in the previous message) is there - it's just not showing in the history window - seems to be hidden somehow from IE7.

I just uninstalled CCleaner and then re-booted to see if that made any difference - still no history appears.

Does CCleaner somwhow change the location of the history? My registry entry still says the history is in C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Local Settings\History....

You may have a corrupted index.dat file. In Cleaner>Internet Explorer>Check Delete Index.dat files. Run the Cleaner and restart your computer. Check to see if history is there.

Next if needed>

It's Possible that a tool bar or Add-on is causing this.

Start Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Check to see if history is there.

Take a look in the drop down box in history.

Does it look like this:

By Date

By Site

By Most Visited

By Order Visited Today

---------------------------

Search History

If it does, try and change the setting to see if your history appears.

You may have a corrupted index.dat file. In Cleaner>Internet Explorer>Check Delete Index.dat files. Run the Cleaner and restart your computer. Check to see if history is there.

Next if needed>

It's Possible that a tool bar or Add-on is causing this.

Start Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Check to see if history is there.

Take a look in the drop down box in history.

Does it look like this:

By Date

By Site

By Most Visited

By Order Visited Today

---------------------------

Search History

If it does, try and change the setting to see if your history appears.

Did all that you suggested - still no history.

Here's where it gets interesting.

I got it back yesterday after unregistering and re-registering the Windows installer - it came back with 3 days of history showing. My histroy isn't gone - it's just being hidden somehow.

It was there all day - and today when I booted the computer it's blank again.

Just did the same thing to the installer - and it reappears.

The rpoblem seems to be related to the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - it places a folder called "Apps\2.0\etc." in my Local Setting folder. When I delete that - the history reappears.

When I reboot - the Apps folder regenerates itself and the history is blank again.

I'm going to delete the .NET framwork 2.0 (keeping the 1.1 since there are a couple of programs I use that it's needed for) and see what happens after that.

This is maddening - it's there and then it's gone again.....

I had a similar problem with IE6... After running CCleaner for the first time no matter what I did... I could not generate new history. Favorites etc were intact and typing a new URL in the browser took me to the site... but the history drop down stayed empty.

I ran CCleaner again and in Internet Explorer I unchecked everything except "Temp Internet Files", "Cookies", and "Delete Index.Dat files" (which was still checked from when I originally ran it yesterday).

Ran it, rebooted, and now history seems to be accumulating fine... so far. (Thanks for the hints)

However I still have a related issue.

I use a built in Microsoft RDP tool (Remote Desktop, nothing special) to remote control several other servers and workstations on my network throughout the day. This tool remembers the names of machines previously visited. I understand that they would have been cleared even though that wasn't my intent. But like IE, the history there also will not save as I connect to machines now after running CCleaner. I only see the most recent one visited. I don't see this app listed in CCleaner... probably because it is built into of Windows.

Anyone else have this experience or suggestions?

Here's where it gets interesting.

I got it back yesterday after unregistering and re-registering the Windows installer - it came back with 3 days of history showing. My histroy isn't gone - it's just being hidden somehow.

It was there all day - and today when I booted the computer it's blank again.

Just did the same thing to the installer - and it reappears.

The rpoblem seems to be related to the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - it places a folder called "Apps\2.0\etc." in my Local Setting folder. When I delete that - the history reappears.

When I reboot - the Apps folder regenerates itself and the history is blank again.

I'm going to delete the .NET framwork 2.0 (keeping the 1.1 since there are a couple of programs I use that it's needed for) and see what happens after that.

This is maddening - it's there and then it's gone again.....

Sounds like you may be on to something...

Did you just download MS .Net Framework 2.0? Look in add or remove programs. Is it Service Pack 1?

I have XP SP3 with .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 and all is well.

I was unsure if I should uninstall 2.0 and 1.1, so I just left them installed.

Go to Local Settings>History open the folder and double click on Today (if there). Can you see your history?

I uninstalled all of the MS .NET Frameworks and then re-installed them all - like you I now have 1.1, 2.0 and also 3.5 and am not sure if I should uninstall the earlier versions so I've left them all there too. I think there are some programs that run using each one, but I'm not sure.......

I have XP SP3 as well.

History is still not showing - the only way I've been able to see my history is to create a new user account - log onto that new account - delete the History folder in my Local Settngs and then copy the History folder from the new account back to my Local Settings.

When I log back onto my account the History is all there as it should be and everyting works fine.

But every time I re-boot the computer - the History is gone again. The folder changes from the one with the "clock" on it that back to a regular folder after rebotting and the History is once again blank until I go back and do the procedure I described above. Something is still changing that History folder when I reboot.....

It's still a mystery.......

I don't see that we've confirmed your computer is free of viruses, spyware, and other nasties.

Have you run your antivirus software and spyware scans?

This anti-malware application will only take about five minutes to scan after install.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Ant...ware_d5756.html

This is a fully functional free version with ease of use. If you want the protection module (real time monitoring) then you'll need to purchase it.

If this fails get your history back using the steps you described.

Reboot your computer then look at your event viewer trying to find errors or warnings that pertain to the loss of your history.

I'm sure that it being confined to your account will be the key to finding the cause.

I agree that some type of command is deleting your history on startup. I just asked one member to help. I hope others will also try, because I am about out of suggestions.

I'm definitely free of all computer problems - I run Norton Internet Security 2008, Spybot Search & Destroy, and am completely up to date on all spyware, malware, etc. updates. Plus I often do manual scans.

I did download the anti-malware application you suggested - it found no problems whatsoever after a 10 minutes scan.

WHen I first boot the computer and log in as the "NEW" user that I created - when I check the HIstory folder under My name in Local Settings - it's fine - looks just as it should.

Now when I log off and log in under my name, the history folder changes. Once I delete that folder and copy the history folder (the one with the "clock" on it) from my "NEW" Local Settings folder - it works fine and my history is there for the past several days.

Logging off and on has no affect on this History folder, it only seems to change on a reboot of the computer.

The event viewer doesn't indicate any problems - the only thing it sees as a was the installation of the system files created by the installation of the malware program.

Back to the drawing board I guess.......

You may have started Internet Explorer with no add-ons, but if you use IE7Pro this is what davey said, along with other suggestions.

IE7Pro Privacy options should be off.

Internet Options > Advanced > Restore advanced settings>OK

I had some weird things happen with History once in the past but with these settings, after a couple reboots or days everything was back to normal.

Like you suggested, he may have had some software or add-on that left something behind in an Boot.ini file or something like that.

Maybe some other software toy he is or was playing with may have this option in it.

Also check his Start-up entries in CCleaner Tools > Startup and MSCONFIG is set for NORMAL startup on General tab and use apply button and restart.

Make sure he is not using advanced cleaning options in CCleaner.

Is he using latest CCleaner version?

Sounds like good advise.

I found this post on the Internet regarding a corrupted desktop.ini file.

Keep in mind this was Vista but it may offer some help.

Read the whole thing including the comments.

http://blogs.mgtechgroup.com/markc/archive...ory-in-IE7.aspx

Let us know if this helps, we will still be working on it.

I'm definitely free of all computer problems - I run Norton Internet Security 2008, Spybot Search & Destroy, and am completely up to date on all spyware, malware, etc. updates. Plus I often do manual scans.

I did download the anti-malware application you suggested - it found no problems whatsoever after a 10 minutes scan.

WHen I first boot the computer and log in as the "NEW" user that I created - when I check the HIstory folder under My name in Local Settings - it's fine - looks just as it should.

Now when I log off and log in under my name, the history folder changes. Once I delete that folder and copy the history folder (the one with the "clock" on it) from my "NEW" Local Settings folder - it works fine and my history is there for the past several days.

Logging off and on has no affect on this History folder, it only seems to change on a reboot of the computer.

The event viewer doesn't indicate any problems - the only thing it sees as a was the installation of the system files created by the installation of the malware program.

Back to the drawing board I guess.......

Hello hesyst,

From reading this thread, I can tell that you are a very conscientious PC user and quite knowledgeable.

Congratulations on that.

I am aware that Norton offers many options related to privacy as well as security. Check to be sure that no option is set there regarding your History. Just a thought.

You will discover that resetting your Msconfig start-up to "normal" will reset some of your startup settings in CCleaner Tools > Startup. Resetting Msconfig to normal will offer you the chance to be sure nothing is changing any of your Startup process. You can reset the CCleaner Startup settings once you are satisfied that this is not happening.

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. There is a chance someone is "borrowing" your PC to do a little surfing of their own and then deleting the History to cover their tracks.

Edited by davey

Hello Davey,

Thanks for the input.

I've checked Norton settings - nothing there to set regarding my history. It's still there - it's just hidden from view somehow.

I also have run Msconfig - and the "normal" was already checked - but I unchecked it and then checked it again. Still no history appears.

No - no one is "borrowing" my PC and deleting the history.

As I've explained in an earlier post - the history is still there - I just have to delele the exisitng history folder which is somehow altered on bootup - then copy the hostory folder from another user (I've created a new user just for this purpose) and then the history appears as it should. All is fine until I reboot the computer - then it disappears again.

My "new user" account always shows the history - so it has to be something that was changed in the registry when I ran CCleaner the first time that is causing this to happen. I don''t have CCleaner set to run all the time - just when I manually run it.

The history is still there - I just have to delete the History folder - copy it from another user - and it then re-appears normally.

You may have started Internet Explorer with no add-ons, but if you use IE7Pro this is what davey said, along with other suggestions.

Sounds like good advise.

I found this post on the Internet regarding a corrupted desktop.ini file.

Keep in mind this was Vista but it may offer some help.

Read the whole thing including the comments.

http://blogs.mgtechgroup.com/markc/archive...ory-in-IE7.aspx

Let us know if this helps, we will still be working on it.

I had also found that post on the Internet sometime last week after I first ran CCleaner and found out the history was msising. I tried that but it didn't do anything - I think it may only apply to Vista. Either way - it didn't make any difference - after a re-boot it disappeared again.

Also looked at my boot.ini file - it's dated 12/7/2006 so it hasn't changed in nearly 2 years. That's for all users so if there was something in the computer startup it would affect all users, right?

If I start up and log into my "New" user that I created - history works fine no matter how many times I log off or on or reboot. It's only with when I start up and log in with my own name first.

And once it's "fixed" by copying the history folder from the new user - my history is back in full for the past 4 days. So the actual history itself never disappears - and it keeps getting added to every website I visit. When the computer re-boots is when it disappears in IE7 - but I get it back complete for the past 4 days as soon as I delete that history folder and copy one from the new user.

Did you try a system restore to before CCleaner?

Do you use Erunt? Great program to backup the registry.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Do you know what settings you used in CCleaner?

Did you use CCleaner to fix Registry issues with a backup?

If you use IE7PRO do as davey suggested.

Scroll Through History.

Hold SHIFT and Scroll the Mouse - This will allow you to review your history as stored in memory.

This is great for reviewing what was typed into forms.

Some keyboard shortcuts.

http://wiki.ie7pro.com/index.php/Keyboard_...rnet_Explorer_7

Hello Davey,

Thanks for the input.

I've checked Norton settings - nothing there to set regarding my history. It's still there - it's just hidden from view somehow.

I also have run Msconfig - and the "normal" was already checked - but I unchecked it and then checked it again. Still no history appears.

No - no one is "borrowing" my PC and deleting the history.

As I've explained in an earlier post - the history is still there - I just have to delele the exisitng history folder which is somehow altered on bootup - then copy the hostory folder from another user (I've created a new user just for this purpose) and then the history appears as it should. All is fine until I reboot the computer - then it disappears again.

My "new user" account always shows the history - so it has to be something that was changed in the registry when I ran CCleaner the first time that is causing this to happen. I don''t have CCleaner set to run all the time - just when I manually run it.

The history is still there - I just have to delete the History folder - copy it from another user - and it then re-appears normally.

Hi hesyst,

I like you have tried many tools and some playing around looking at History files,index.dat files and such.

Somehow in the order of things I have managed to create some strange conditions or investigate them.

I found as regards the History file for the current user (YOU) if you will take a few minutes and run CCleaner with the History option set to clean and also Index.dat files option and then Analyze.

You should see the Path name name etc. for the History file as so.

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXuser\LocalSettings\Temporary InternetFiles\Content.IE5\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXuser\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\desktop.ini

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXuser\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat

Note what it is and then run the Cleaner.

Exit CCleaner and reboot.

You might have to do this a couple of times but things are out of sync. Do not copy the other users History when you do this. I copied another users History in the past and things were similar to your problem.

Let us know.

Edited by davey

guys, didn't want to add a new topic thought I'd use the IE7 topic to post this... but as regds Winappi do I need to add to the entry for IE7 Pro pluggin?? or does having IE7 by itself sort out the .dat / temp files

Shame on you.

No, I haven't noticed any files building up anywhere. There is an entry in the winapp2.ini as regards IE7Pro and I have been using winapp2.ini complete as supplied for months now. I drop the new winapp2.inn in my CCleaner whenever it comes out.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1110

It helped clean out data from old apps. that were once on this PC also.

Hi hesyst,

I like you have tried many tools and some playing around looking at History files,index.dat files and such.

Somehow in the order of things I have managed to create some strange conditions or investigate them.

I found as regards the History file for the current user (YOU) if you will take a few minutes and run CCleaner with the History option set to clean and also Index.dat files option and then Analyze.

You should see the Path name name etc. for the History file as so.

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXuser\LocalSettings\Temporary InternetFiles\Content.IE5\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXuser\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\desktop.ini

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXuser\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat

Note what it is and then run the Cleaner.

Exit CCleaner and reboot.

You might have to do this a couple of times but things are out of sync. Do not copy the other users History when you do this. I copied another users History in the past and things were similar to your problem.

Let us know.

I've tired everything you both have suggested and so far it hasn't made any difference.

I'll give this suggestion a try and let you know if it works or not.

When I copy the history folder from another user, I'm not actually copying that history - just the folder that then makes my history appear. I still have all of my history and it re-appears after I do this. I guess it's just the folder that reads your history and allows it to appear.

We'll see what happens.....

These are index.dat files that you should have already deleted. See Post #5

I've tired everything you both have suggested and so far it hasn't made any difference.

Try a couple more things: Index.dat Suite application (Freeware) because it finds more .dat files and does all users.

http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Product...=index.datsuite

Download Basic Install or No Install: For the No Install zip file, unzip to desired location and double click on the ID Suite icon in folder.

Click on the cog wheel and uncheck all Folder options>save (let CCleaner handle theses). Don't change any other settings unless you know what you are changing. Select Drive>Click on find>When its finished searching, click on the black icon on top toolbar(second from the left) to generate file>Reboot>Surf>Look for history.

Do you use IE7Pro? If so, do as davey suggested.

If all else fails!

Did you try a system restore to before CCleaner?

Good Luck,

Jamin4u

We know it frustrating at times.

The problem you are having is not caused by CCleaner.

It is something that occurred on or about the same day.

I'll give this suggestion a try and let you know if it works or not.

When I copy the history folder from another user, I'm not actually copying that history - just the folder that then makes my history appear. I still have all of my history and it re-appears after I do this. I guess it's just the folder that reads your history and allows it to appear.

We'll see what happens.....

Hi hesyst.

The Recent folder and History folder have been the biggest headaches for me, personally and when trying to help others with similar problems. It does not require drastic solutions.

In most cases it just takes the right bits to be reset or correcting or letting Windows correct something that is not quite right. Windows does some strange things when things get jumbled and sometimes it takes a little time and use and it "corrects" things. Don't be surprised to find some folders and things tucked into strange places in the future. Believe me, you will find this out.

There is another thing to try but let us see what happens.

We know it frustrating at times.

Hi hesyst.

The Recent folder and History folder have been the biggest headaches for me, personally and when trying to help others with similar problems. It does not require drastic solutions.

In most cases it just takes the right bits to be reset or correcting or letting Windows correct something that is not quite right. Windows does some strange things when things get jumbled and sometimes it takes a little time and use and it "corrects" things. Don't be surprised to find some folders and things tucked into strange places in the future. Believe me, you will find this out.

There is another thing to try but let us see what happens.

OK ... firstly I have to admit that I don't know much about computers! But I was having exactly the same problems & have just resolved them... so I thought I'd share in the hope that it might help someone else!

I had scoured the forums for a solution & tried several that didn't work.

I had just done the following:

Internet Options > Advanced > Restore custom settings>OK

Then I noticed your sentence;

... and had an 'AH HA!' moment.

(I'm not 100% sure if this would have worked on its own or if it was a combination of the two, which is why I'm including both)

I remembered that just after I installed CCleaner, in an attempt to resolve other problems I was having with my pc, I also installed 'Spyware Doctor'.

So.... I went to that programme & disabled all it's functions. Then I re-booted my computer.

Bingo!

My history has reappeared

My temporary internet files (which were also missing) have reappeared

My cookies are showing in the CCleaner 'cookie to delete / cookies to keep' list

My computer is storing cookies / passwords etc when instructed to do so (previously they were disappearing every time I closed a site, so that I had to keep re-entering them)

I'm thinking that either there was a conflict between the two programmes or that I was attributing problems caused by the Spyware programme to CCleaner. I don't know enough about computer programmes to determine which...

Anyway ... it worked for me so if anyone with similar problems has spyware protection installed it might be worth checking if there's a link.

Good Luck!

I'm SO happy!! :lol:

OK ... firstly I have to admit that I don't know much about computers! But I was having exactly the same problems & have just resolved them... so I thought I'd share in the hope that it might help someone else!

I had scoured the forums for a solution & tried several that didn't work.

I had just done the following:

Internet Options > Advanced > Restore custom settings>OK

Then I noticed your sentence;

... and had an 'AH HA!' moment.

(I'm not 100% sure if this would have worked on its own or if it was a combination of the two, which is why I'm including both)

I remembered that just after I installed CCleaner, in an attempt to resolve other problems I was having with my pc, I also installed 'Spyware Doctor'.

So.... I went to that programme & disabled all it's functions. Then I re-booted my computer.

Bingo!

My history has reappeared

My temporary internet files (which were also missing) have reappeared

My cookies are showing in the CCleaner 'cookie to delete / cookies to keep' list

My computer is storing cookies / passwords etc when instructed to do so (previously they were disappearing every time I closed a site, so that I had to keep re-entering them)

I'm thinking that either there was a conflict between the two programmes or that I was attributing problems caused by the Spyware programme to CCleaner. I don't know enough about computer programmes to determine which...

Anyway ... it worked for me so if anyone with similar problems has spyware protection installed it might be worth checking if there's a link.

Good Luck!

I'm SO happy!! :lol:

Right on SEAGULL.

All these other guys and gals are extremely happy to have been of service.

hesyst, another member with a very similar problem as yours, has had success by doing the following.

First: Restore your advanced settings in IE7. (suggested by davey)

Internet Options>Advanced>Restore advanced settings>OK

Second: Think about when you first started having problems.

Did you add any software?

If you did add software then disable it.

Reboot>Surf>Look for history.

You might do this one at a time to pin point the cause.

I hope this does it.