McAfee Site Advisor

Tom AZ

Hi Fred, you don't happen to know of anything similar for Opera by chance?

I too am interested in WOT, but don't see anything compatible with Maxthon.

SiteAdvisor seems to be back up now.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Working fine for me,using Firefox/2.0.0.16 and SiteAdvisor ver. 26.6 build 6274 I uninstalled the old version first restarted Firefox and installed the new one then restarted Firefox and it worked fine. I use WOT also

Well, I think that SiteAdvisor - being in business for much longer - warns for more sites. WOT now has tested over 20 million site and they employ users/visitors to rate the sites.

Maybe you should look at it this way: SiteAdvisor is part of McAfee, LinkScanner is part of AVG and TrendProtect is part of TrendMicro. All are large companies. Do we trust them? WOT is part of the community.

Well, I think that SiteAdvisor - being in business for much longer - warns for more sites. WOT now has tested over 20 million site and they employ users/visitors to rate the sites.

Maybe you should look at it this way: SiteAdvisor is part of McAfee, LinkScanner is part of AVG and TrendProtect is part of TrendMicro. All are large companies. Do we trust them? WOT is part of the community.

Can anyone who has WOT installed rate sites, or do you have to be a registered member?

I use SiteAdvisor on XP Pro and SiteHound on XP Home and WOT is using hpHosts:

http://forum.hosts-file.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=598

I also use OpenDNS:

http://www.opendns.com

They are all good except for AVG that has become part of the "Bloat That Keeps You Afloat" and the Norton (Symantec) Titanic unsinkable group.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
How do you uninstall SiteAdvisor 2.8 in Firefox? My "uninstall" option is grayed out.

Probably just reinstalling it will work to make the uninstall available.

If that doesn't work:

1. On Windows XP you can delete the contents of SiteAdvisor located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Windows User Profile Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Firefox Profile Name\extensions\{1650a312-02bc-40ee-977e-83f158701739}

2. Then you have to manually edit prefs.js located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Windows User Profile Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Firefox Profile Name\prefs.js

3. And remove all the lines with: user_pref("extensions.safe

Actually I think these have to be manually removed rather you manually uninstall it or not.

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators

Reviving a thread from Aug 2008. :rolleyes:

Wot may actually be better, however it's up to the individual to decide upon what they like and something is absolutely better than nothing.