Defraggler is taking forever

JanRow

It can stay there forever :/ Its just regular files it defrag right now. Change all the time but nothing change at Fragmented Files and Total Fragments.

post-22540-1218903153_thumb.jpg

As you see, it switch files, often windows files but the fragment statics don't move at all.

Hi gigabayt,

I have been using the latest version for testing purposes and just for single files or some files.

I have found that trying to get the whole drive defragmented seems to result in problems.

If the PC you are using is very important for your use or work, I would go back a couple of versions.

They are still ironing out problems it seems with too many or too large files.

This is based only my experience and not based on some sort of insider information as some people may think.

If you just stay away from System Volume files and don't select the "whole" drive at once it seems to work OK.

Has this been your experience ?

Defrag only the files that have a lot of fragments but not too big. If you don't have sufficient free space (say 20-30%)EDIT then do several files from the top number of fragments only and also several pages at the bottom of the list. This seems to work OK also.

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. I have several client/friends computers at my disposal but only a few that have multiple partitions. Those few are not as readily available as the others with single partitions.

Gigabayt, are you using multiple partitions ?

What is the relative free space available in the partition that you are having trouble with?

Are you running out of space in your C volume ? If so then you may have some work to do and need advice from some of our more experienced multi-partition users. You may get a better performance increase right now by using PageDefrag to defrag the locked system files which may be very defragmented.

If you have PageDefrag then run it and see if your System files are defragmented and run it if necessary.

You can get PageDefrag here and use it right away. You can also Run it live from the website(see upper right hand of Web page). These guys go out of their way to help us !!!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897426.aspx PageDefrag v2.32

By Mark Russinovich

Edited by davey

does it make any harm or good to my computer if i defragment my hard disk erery day?

Hello Denver,

Welcome to the forums. :)

Good question and frequently asked.

See this link as it applies to MOST users.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=111690

Defraggler is a very speedy "defragmenter" but I would recommend it's use to those who need to 'Defrag" specific files and those that don't mind the program maintenance required.

That is how I use it. I hardly ever need to do "whole drive" defragmenting anymore.

I use the Windows Disk Defragmenter to check or 'Analyze" and do "whole Drive" defragmentation only when advised by the WDD program.

Most users get by fine with WDD. No worries, no money and no maintenance. :D Can't beat that for simplicity, which is what MOST users need and want. :P

If you are an average user, daily defragmenting is not beneficial at all.

Good luck,

Hello Denver,

Welcome to the forums. :)

Good question and frequently asked.

See this link as it applies to MOST users.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=111690

Defraggler is a very speedy "defragmenter" but I would recommend it's use to those who need to 'Defrag" specific files and those that don't mind the program maintenance required.

That is how I use it. I hardly ever need to do "whole drive" defragmenting anymore.

I use the Windows Disk Defragmenter to check or 'Analyze" and do "whole Drive" defragmentation only when advised by the WDD program.

Most users get by fine with WDD. No worries, no money and no maintenance. :D Can't beat that for simplicity, which is what MOST users need and want. :P

If you are an average user, daily defragmenting is not beneficial at all.

Good luck,

I was gonna try defraggler because I liked the results from CCleaner & Recuva, after reading some of these post, I think I'm gonna stick with IObits Smart Defrag. It seems to answer most of the problems raised in the forum, and it's free also. :huh: