Defraggler is taking forever

JanRow

Hello I just intalled defraggler last night around 10:00pm and it is still running. I did the gerneral defrag to do the whole drive for the first time and I had 1,561 fragmented files with 7,075 total fragments. It's now 10:21am and I am at 847 fragmented files with 2,411 total fragments. Seems it's been over 12 hours to get half way through this process. Is there anyway to speed this up? I am also running it on a laptop and it goe into battery save mode when I am not working on it does this pause defraggler? I like the program so far because it is being so throgh but the time for it to take is way to long :(

Also I would like to know if I pause or stop the program and reboot my system will defraggler pick up where it left off when i start the program again? As I don't want to have to go through another 12+ hours to start over.

Another suggestion or maybe you can tell me how to set it up is add a schedule to it so it can run in the background at a certain time once a week or something then the fragments might not get so big and it won't take so long.

Thanks Jan

Disable your real-time AV protection before starting to defrag. Yes, defrag can be very slow, if you defrag for the first time and your hard drive is heavily fragmented. Defrag your hard drive more often, once a month or once every few months, so it won't be heavily fragmented , and defragging will be much faster.

Disable your real-time AV protection before starting to defrag. Yes, defrag can be very slow, if you defrag for the first time and you hard drive is heavily fragmented. Defrag your hard drive more often, once a month or once every few months, so it won't be heavily fragmented , and defragging will be much faster.

What do you mean about real time AV protection my protection is norton. I understand I needto defrag more often as I said earlier I just installed this program so its the first time for fragging the more often is a suggestion for the makers of the program to include a schedule system to it that runs in the background so you dont have to remember to frag more often. Plus all these fragmented files have accumulated in the last month as thats all the longer I have had my laptop. Therefore if I only ran the program once a month it would take just as long. So there has got to be another way to frag without it taking so long I would think.

Thanks Jan

-What do you mean about real time AV protection my protection is norton.

-Therefore if I only ran the program once a month it would take just as long.

-Disable Norton AV real-time scanner.

-No it won't take that long. Files are now fragmented, because of programs installation. And after they are once defragged, defragging is faster.

should i turn off firewall protection too

If you do that, unplug your internet cable. Or enable your Windows build-in firewall (before disabling 3rd-party FW).

If you boot to Safe-Mode, unplug then too, because it won't then load your 3rd-party FW drivers. It's good to defrag in Safe Mode, because less programs/drivers are then in use and CAN BE DEFRAGGED.

one more ? what happens if i pause the program and reboot in safe mode and start it back up will it resume where it left off or will it start all over?

Not sure, but i think it will start all over. Those files you have already defragged, it should go fast over them.

Just disable/stop the Norton AV section. You don't have to stop Defraggler when doing it.

k thanks but stopping norton av doesnt seem to speed it up any

You just have to wait then. Next time will be faster.

Another tip: Remove all the temp files (using CCleaner) before starting to defrag. Here's more tips: http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/index.html /below the program snaphot)

Or a tip you can use is not use the latest defraggler lol. Just download an older one. My personal fav is 1.01 . As its one of the earlier versions before everything started getting bloaty and having useless wasted things added. So believe me, it will scan faster than the newest one. This has been the biggest gripe with me and many other fans of Defraggler. Which really how far can you update one? If it does its job just stick with it and leave it be. Someone somewhere though disagreed with that theory.

Or a tip you can use is not use the latest defraggler lol. Just download an older one. My personal fav is 1.01 . As its one of the earlier versions before everything started getting bloaty and having useless wasted things added. So believe me, it will scan faster than the newest one. This has been the biggest gripe with me and many other fans of Defraggler. Which really how far can you update one? If it does its job just stick with it and leave it be. Someone somewhere though disagreed with that theory.

Hi.

Same Problem. I am using Defraggler for the first time on a 12GB partition with around 75% used space. The analysis showed 300 fragmented files and around 19,000 total fragments.

After 24 hours running, I am down to 155 fragmented files and just over 4,000 total fragments. The 'clock' is saying 30%. The process appears to be running slower and slower.

I find the numbers confusing.

If the 30% is to be believed, the process will take another 2 days.

If the number of frgmented files means anything, I am about half-way.

But if the number of remaining fragments is taken, then I am about 75% done.

Can anyone predict how long I will have to wait?

I have long suspected that the MS defragger isn't very good, but what is Defraggler doing that takes so long?

Will I see a significant improvement in performance?

What is the significance of the light-blue and dark-blue squares?

I have tried 3 times to post a reply to this forum and IE6 has crashed every time.

Seems to work ok with Opera.

Welcome mikehimself

I have tried 3 times to post a reply to this forum and IE6 has crashed every time.
That comes standard with IE6.

What operating system are you using?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Welcome mikehimself

That comes standard with IE6.

What operating system are you using?

Hi.

That was the least of my problems.

I have stopped Defraggler.

Restored XP to an earlier date.

Removed Defraggler.

Nothing happens now when I click on My Documents. But I can get to them via My Computer.

No other damage found (yet).

Tried Auslogic's defrag, which is very fast and pretty to look at, but doesn't appear to do anythiing extra.

Gone back to the MS defrag, which seems to be competent and works better if you run it more than once.

Who can you trust?

Farewell, Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
My defraggler stops when 1.2gb is left to defrag. It works hours with the same file, and sometimes it stops when you have over 1 gb left tio clean, so I defrag again.

Why?

Most probably some "bugs" to iron out.

Some debug logs would be helpful.

And some disk, system, OS info would also help.

:) davey

Thanks for reporting.

I'll later send you a video with defraggler :P

No, we don't want any links to Videos.

You can supply logs and snapshots.

The link you put into your post may be considered Spam and treated as such.

No, we don't want any links to Videos.

You can supply logs and snapshots.

The link you put into your post may be considered Spam and treated as such.

Okay, sorry :(

19% is the limit when it defragmenting, then nothing happen. It just work without a result. It checks trough 1000 of files.

• Moderators
19% is the limit when it defragmenting, then nothing happen. It just work without a result. It checks trough 1000 of files.

How long does it stay at 19% though?

You could possibly have a large fragmented file like a video, etc., that's taking a long time to complete. Then again if you have some other software running that may possible interfere, such as an anti-malware application resident shield.

It can stay there forever :/ Its just regular files it defrag right now. Change all the time but nothing change at Fragmented Files and Total Fragments.

post-22540-1218903153_thumb.jpg

As you see, it switch files, often windows files but the fragment statics don't move at all.

post-22540-1218903153_thumb.jpg