Wireless Broadband

tomcatonnet99

Hi,

I've been using a standalone wireless ISP broadband service, and open to looking at ADSL / Cable .... and need to network it wireless to other PCs whats the best solution for me pls given the following requirements.

1) Winxp Home 512Mb ram, and wireless 802.11g/b

2) what kind of a router should I be looking at to connect upto 4 PCs (wireless ) and share 1 Printer ( ok if that needs to be connected to the router.....though would prefer it being wireless with a usb stick or something )

3) Preferred range to extend to two 2 level homes

Option of ADSL / Cable as opposed to wireless ISP modem

Would one recommend going in for ADSL or Cable how are these typically setup in terms of what I've only heard terms such as filters etc ( really blank as regards these topics)

My greatest concern being would there be a wireless router which could accept ADSL / Cable or a wireless modem should I change the service providers.... i.e having invested in an ADSL router shouldn't limit my future options to ADSL only ...

Further, could I possibly set up a maximum data throughput cap for specific connections going out from the router, as also leave the internet connection not dependant on my pc to act as a server - thereby allowing authorised access to the broadband without having to leave my laptop running :)

any help or being pointed in a very requirement specific knowledge base would be greatly appreciated

I have read good reviews about Linksys WRT150N:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...d=3840033028B01

3) Preferred range to extend to two 2 level homes
That may be difficult but I have read that there are directional antenas available.

Would one recommend going in for ADSL or Cable
Cable is usually faster as long as there aren't too many users on the same cable.

how are these typically setup
They come with excellent documentation and setup CDs with lots of pictures.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Guys... I need help here again :(

How do I get my ISP provided wireless modem card router ( Netgear ) to create an intranet ( wireless home network ) apart from serving as a Access Point ? tried the netgear interface and there isn't much help available on this

cheers

Guys... I need help here again :(

How do I get my ISP provided wireless modem card router ( Netgear ) to create an intranet ( wireless home network ) apart from serving as a Access Point ? tried the netgear interface and there isn't much help available on this

cheers

By the use of Google I found these sites:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...up/default.mspx

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/hmnetwk1.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/102461/how_...me_network.html

Netgear support page:

http://kbserver.netgear.com

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

thanks Kenny but I've been to all the above sites before posting my request..

What I need is a simplified straight forward method of configuring my wireless router which has a wireless modem card inserted in it to not just act as an Access Point ( which it does really well! ) but to get my laptops in the house to talk to each other ( home network)

Now....

the netgear router MBR814x doesn't have a usb port for WPA key to be uploaded from a USB flash drive and windows wireless network wizard doesn't have the requisite options as a work around...

Netgear professional help site is a paid for service

Require someone who has been there done it to help solve this problem I believe its a Windows xp home issue as opposed to the router per say..... coz once both the computers are linked to a router technically speaking they should both be able to talk to each other , though (practically )not in this case

many thanks in advance

Cheers for the support and your time too Kenyy ( I do appreciate it )

thanks Kenny but I've been to all the above sites before posting my request..

What I need is a simplified straight forward method of configuring my wireless router which has a wireless modem card inserted in it to not just act as an Access Point ( which it does really well! ) but to get my laptops in the house to talk to each other ( home network)

many thanks in advance

Cheers for the support and your time too Kenyy ( I do appreciate it )

Hi TomCat,

Don't you have irprops.cpl Wireless Link Control Panel Applet in your Control Panel.

Make sure you didn't hide it with TweakUI.

Good Luck,

:) davey

Don't know if this helps much but I use the Linksys 350N router and have DSL (through my phone line) internet. It's not as fast as cable (from what I understand) but they also don't throttle, there are no bottlenecks, doesn't matter how much I download/upload, and doesn't matter what time of the day so I like it. The Linksys router I have (I used to have the WRT54G which was good but didn't have as good wireless range) is awesome. I have my house and such wired now, but before that I was using the wireless and I can get reception anywhere in my house or garage (my house is a 4 level split, router in the basement, and my garage is about 100 feet from the router with no reception problems).

Supports Vista too. :)

Over the teething phase now :) ......... successfully set up Netgear with the use of Static IP and manually entering the Mac addresses of comps that are authorised to connect thru it ! works like a beaute!! ;)

Disappointed in the way Windows XP HOme manages the network though - 1) there seems to be little standardisation when it comes to OEM ( pre-installed XP Home ) I use an ASUS and the other laptap is a NEC and the latter seems to share the networked resource and display it under MSHOme which resides under MS Windows Network which in turn is under Entire Network ...........phew! and the other laptop shows up under 'Workgroup' as it should;

2) changed this setting in control panel/system/computer name and it worked though............... its funny how at first it showed both the comps on the network but asked for a pasword ( punching in the respective log in passwords to no avail :( ......... ;

3) then shared the requisite folders on each of the machine and MY ASUS showed up on the NEC but not the other way around ..................

4) Worst of all!! I've got indexing service OFF; dunno if that contributed to what followed; but when I tried to share folders and make them available it brought up a blue screen and re-started the pc !! horrific :huh:

no winning with MS eh? or I must be doing something terribly wrong ! anyways ran checkdsk and nothing reported and both pcs work great! still trying to share folders though ............... :(