Registry backup

AliceZ

I've read quite a few posts that state that before you do a CCleaner Registry clean after a scan, you should

make a backup the Registry completely.

#1- Would that be done every time you remove items from the Registry after running a CC Registry scan?

#2- How does one do a "backup of the Registry completely?"

#3- Would creating a Restore point be the same as backing up the Registry?

#4- How would we enable the "automatic" backup (in the Backup/Restore) area, so that automatic Backups are created every 10 houea of operation?

Thanks

Alice

• Moderators

CCleaner by default prompts for a backup of any registry data that will be removed, however you must manually click the button to allow it to make the backup - it doesn't happen automatically.

#2- How does one do a "backup of the Registry completely?"

• Make a System Restore point.
    and/or
  • Use the freeware ERUNT (highly recommended).

CCleaner by default prompts for a backup of any registry data that will be removed, however you must manually click the button to allow it to make the backup - it doesn't happen automatically.

• Make a System Restore point.

and/or

• Use the freeware ERUNT (highly recommended).

Thanks

#4- How would we enable the "automatic" Restore Point (in the Backup/Restore) area, so that automatic Restore Points are created every 10 hours (?) of operation?

• Moderators
#4- How would we enable the "automatic" Restore Point (in the Backup/Restore) area, so that automatic Restore Points are created every 10 hours (?) of operation?

Which program are you referring to?

If it's ERUNT, there's an online FAQ.

If it's Windows own built-in System Restore there's Single Click Restore Point, which can be configured as a scheduled task.

Which program are you referring to?

If it's ERUNT, there's an online FAQ.

If it's Windows own built-in System Restore there's Single Click Restore Point, which can be configured as a scheduled task.

Thanks.

#1- I was referring to creating Restore Point with MS. I wondered if I could configure the MS Restore Point to be created automatically. Someone said there was some place in WinXP that you could disable the Automatic Restore Point creation. I just wanted to look there to make sure it was not "disabled."

#2- Does ERUNT create automatic backups of Registry, or do I always have to tell it when to make backups?

#3- When I click on the erunt_setup.exe, does it automatically install the program and create an icon on desktop?

Hi Alice,

Windows is supposed to create a restore point automatically every 24 hours, but this does not always happen for some people (of which I am one). To make sure it is turned on go to Control Panel-> System -> System Restore tab. This will show if it is turned on and you can turn it off it you want. Do yourself a favour while you are there. By default 12% of your disk is allocated to restore points so gain a chunk of space by moving the slider so that 1% (the lowest you can go) or about 1 to 2 gig of the disk is allocated to restore points. This will give you enough space for 1 or 2 months worth of restore points, which is more than enough.

ERUNT can make automatic restore points if you schedule it with the task scheduler. If you don't know how to do this, let me know and I'll post a step by step for you.

Yes, the ERUNT installer does an automatic install. I don't remember if it make a desktop icon but I do know that it creates a Start Menu entry. Creating a desktop icon is very easy. Again, let me know if you need instructions.

Hi Alice,

Windows is supposed to create a restore point automatically every 24 hours, but this does not always happen for some people (of which I am one). To make sure it is turned on go to Control Panel-> System -> System Restore tab. This will show if it is turned on and you can turn it off it you want. Do yourself a favour while you are there. By default 12% of your disk is allocated to restore points so gain a chunk of space by moving the slider so that 1% (the lowest you can go) or about 1 to 2 gig of the disk is allocated to restore points. This will give you enough space for 1 or 2 months worth of restore points, which is more than enough.

ERUNT can make automatic restore points if you schedule it with the task scheduler. If you don't know how to do this, let me know and I'll post a step by step for you.

Yes, the ERUNT installer does an automatic install. I don't remember if it make a desktop icon but I do know that it creates a Start Menu entry. Creating a desktop icon is very easy. Again, let me know if you need instructions.

Thanks very much. Since I am new at this, I am consdiering now whether to install Erunt, or not. Installing new programs really scare me.

#1- When it is first loaded/installed does it automatically make a backup of the Registry?

#2- If we wanted Erunt to perform 'automatic' updates in the future, we would have to add it to the Scheduled Tasks. Is that correct? There is no place within Erunt that would have this feature (put check in a box)?

#3- Regarding the restore point disk allocation. I see C: and D: in my "System Restore." Do I have to do anything with the D: drive? (12% Max 525MB)

• Moderators

Alice some of your questions about ERUNT can be answered in the link I posted

http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

Some info here on system restore questions

http://www.5starsupport.com/faq/xp-system-restore.htm

Some people don't have sys restore monitoring their D drive and just have it turned on for the c drive ( or the drive their OS is on)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Alice some of your questions about ERUNT can be answered in the link I posted

http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

Some info here on system restore questions

http://www.5starsupport.com/faq/xp-system-restore.htm

Some people don't have sys restore monitoring their D drive and just have it turned on for the c drive ( or the drive their OS is on)

Thanks very much.

I didn't see anything about the following and wonder if you could take a moment to let me know if I am correct?

#2- If we wanted Erunt to perform 'automatic' updates in the future, we would have to add it to the Scheduled Tasks (in WinXP). Is that correct? There is no place within Erunt that would have this feature (put check in a box)?

If we wanted to do a Registry backup, we would open the Erunt program and do it from there - correct?

• Moderators

If you guys don't mind me adding my two penneth. Follow the directions in the link from Hazel with one exception.

When you see the message box regarding Erunt running at Startup, click yes.

This way, every time you boot, a backup copy of your registry is made, and Erunt is configured to only make this backup once a day, regardless of how many times you boot in one day.

It makes no noticable increase in your boot time, and is the way mine has been configured since I installed it. Takes the "remembering to do it" out of the equation.

If you've already installed it, and want to do this, just uninstall it, and do it again.

Hope this helps.

If you guys don't mind me adding my two penneth. Follow the directions in the link from Hazel with one exception.

When you see the message box regarding Erunt running at Startup, click yes.

This way, every time you boot, a backup copy of your registry is made, and Erunt is configured to only make this backup once a day, regardless of how many times you boot in one day.

It makes no noticable increase in your boot time, and is the way mine has been configured since I installed it. Takes the "remembering to do it" out of the equation.

If you've already installed it, and want to do this, just uninstall it, and do it again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

#1- Would the 'backups' keep building-up, or would one backup delete the previous backup?

#2- And would the backup be put in the Erunt folder with that day's date?

• Moderators

No, the backups don't build up as mine is cofigured to keep only the last three instead of the default number.

It's been so long since I installed it, I can't remember exactly how I did that. I'll uninstall/reinstall if you like to check how I did it, or you can see what happens when you install it.

Yes, each one is dated.

ERUNT makes a backup automatically once per day. 30 days of backups are saved by default and then the program automatically deletes the oldest backup.

So, we don't have to do:

"When you see the message box regarding Erunt running at Startup, click yes."

• Moderators

As far as I remember ( and it's been a while since I had ERUNT installed) if you click yes to the above everything willl be automatic, otherwise click no if you want to do them all manually.

I used the first option otherwise it seemed pretty pointless to me using the program.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Alice, if you don't mind my saying so, you seem to be getting yourself too wound up over all this. You're a new user, and are obviously being very careful, but you're tying yourself up with questions.

The advice you're getting about Erunt etc, is all sound advice, and if you, for example, install Erunt to run from startup, and don't like it, then it's easy and safe to change things to the way you want them.

You're filling your poor head with so many questions I think it must be spinning by now.

Take a deep breath and go over the stuff you've got here, make a decision, and do it. There's always plenty of folk on here to carry on helping you as you go along.

What do you think?

• Moderators

Running Erunt from Startup.

To change the number of days backups are kept, simply do the following. Note Erunt has to be installed in the startup to do this.

Go to Start / All Programs / Startup / Right Click "Erunt Auto backup" / Select "Properties":

t284_EruntConfigure.jpg

Then at the end of the command line, add a space and the /days:n switch where n is the new number of days.

t285_EruntDays.jpg

When you add the space /days:3 or whatever number you choose, the apply button will be highlighted, press apply and thats it.

Erunt will make a backup of the registry once every day, and keep 3 days (or whatever you choose) backup files.

I think the default 30 days is an awful lot to keep. I would be interested how many days worth of backups others keep.

I think the default 30 days is an awful lot to keep. I would be interested how many days worth of backups others keep.

I agree that 30 days is to many backups.

45.MB per backup can sure eat up your hard drive.

Besides, I would most likely use todays backup anyway.

I chose 7 days because I wasn't sure if that was 30 days or 30 dates.

I found out if I start my computer once a week, my oldest backup will be seven weeks old.

Thank you for reminding me to change mine to a lower number like yours.