New TO CCLEANER FORUM

sstaarzz

hi

i am a brand new user of CCleaner.

I just ran CCleaner on a pc that is no longer able to access interent explorer, use AOL instant messenger and some other programs. we can get to the internet using firefox.

i ran hijack this and was told then to run CCleaner.

it found tons and tons of files, seems to be mostly temporary files.

is it safe just to delete all the files?

i notice there is some reference to microsoft office...will CCleaner delete any important files such as text files, etc?

i will attach my hijack this and CCleaner text files just in case it might prove useful to someone.

thanks

ps...not sure i attached the text files correctly as i dont see them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators

Welcome to the Forums!

It's totally safe to "Run Cleaner".

CCleaner won't delete any important files, such as Windows files, MS Office files, and so on.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

I am not near as knowagable as TwistedMetal, but I can tell you that my new computer was running like an olddddddddddddddddd computer until I installed and started running CCleaner and now it seems to have gotten the spring back in it's CPU. I cannot give you the tech end of all of this, but once it cleans out the mess, the computer runs better and faster. I am very happy with it!! :D

Have a great day,

Normandie

I am not near as knowagable as TwistedMetal, but I can tell you that my new computer was running like an olddddddddddddddddd computer until I installed and started running CCleaner and now it seems to have gotten the spring back in it's CPU. I cannot give you the tech end of all of this, but once it cleans out the mess, the computer runs better and faster. I am very happy with it!! :D

Have a great day,

Normandie

thanks for the reply..

i am in the process of running it now..is taking a long time but there were lots and lots of files to be deleted. hope it will allow us to get back to using interent explorer, AIM and other applications. otherwise, its time to reformat or reinstall windows. not sure which route i want to go at this point.

• Moderators

You probably do have lots of junk and its great CCleaner will get rid of that but I dont know if its going to fix your internet. Do you use antivirus software and antispyware software (ad aware, spybot, MS antispy)? If not then download those. If you do and you still have these problems than cut and paste your hijack this log here.

You probably do have lots of junk and its great CCleaner will get rid of that but I dont know if its going to fix your internet. Do you use antivirus software and antispyware software (ad aware, spybot, MS antispy)? If not then download those. If you do and you still have these problems than cut and paste your hijack this log here.

hi

i can now log onto IE and use AIM (pc still a bit sluggish tho) but i cannot use panda software. i get to the part to scan all computer and it just sits there.

here is my hijack this log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2

Scan saved at 5:43:06 PM, on 7/4/2005

Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE

C:\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.food.com/

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1FA9A8D8-7FF4-5E77-56F0-0D84C3AC0EB0} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {311C6FF0-9786-319E-D429-A17987DFD906} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AC5B134F-9B59-86A7-7B86-0DFB0CE03A2A} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B60D0423-96FE-2D27-4722-ED9740243607} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl

O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe

O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

thanks for any help.

• Moderators

To be honest I dont see anything bad and you have the shortest hijack this log I have ever seen. The thing is that you are using an outdated copy of Hijack this. get the newer version here and scan and paste a log with it.

http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

The other thing is that you arent using service pack 2. If you are on dial up you can order a disc from microsoft absolutely free here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx

So what you should do is scan with the new version of hijack this make sure that you choose "scan and save log file" then copy and paste it here.

You then need to go to windows update and get service pack 2 or order it on cd rom.

Also do you use antispyware tools like ad aware, and spybot search and destroy?

I would remove the above entries, as they appear to be deactivated.

Everything else looks good.

To be honest I dont see anything bad and you have the shortest hijack this log I have ever seen. The thing is that you are using an outdated copy of Hijack this. get the newer version here and scan and paste a log with it.

http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

The other thing is that you arent using service pack 2. If you are on dial up you can order a disc from microsoft absolutely free here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx

So what you should do is scan with the new version of hijack this make sure that you choose "scan and save log file" then copy and paste it here.

You then need to go to windows update and get service pack 2 or order it on cd rom.

Also do you use antispyware tools like ad aware, and spybot search and destroy?

i use noadware, search and destroy, in addition to AVG antivirus and online virus checker Trend micro. I am presently running ewido and i will also download the newest hijack this. thanks again :)

I would remove the above entries, as they appear to be deactivated.

Everything else looks good.

to be honest, i did attempt to remove all 4 but when i rerun hijack this, they reappear.

i went to regedit and tried to remove them in the registry but it said it was denied and would not allow me to do so.

Noadware has been on the blacklists before because it actually installs spyware.

Do as rridgely suggests, get Ad-Aware and Microsoft Anti-Spyware.

that is so odd that noadware can do more harm than good. i do have lavasoft adware. which microsoft anti-spyware is decent?

Ewido is still scanning the pc (its taking a very long time) and has found some items which i have deleted. when it is done, i will rerun hijack this (i did update) and will post it here.

everyone here is so helpful and knowledgeable. thank you all

:)

that is so odd that noadware can do more harm than good. i do have lavasoft adware. which microsoft anti-spyware is decent?

Ewido is still scanning the pc (its taking a very long time) and has found some items which i have deleted. when it is done, i will rerun hijack this (i did update) and will post it here.

everyone here is so helpful and knowledgeable.  thank you all

:)

ok, here goes.

i will post the most recent hijack this log as well as ewido text. pc seems to be doing better but i still cannot run active scan from panda software. i get a little yellow exclamation point

ewido_Scan_report_20050704.txt

hijackthis4.TXT

ewido_Scan_report_20050704.txt

hijackthis4.TXT

• Moderators

Wow ewido found a lot of junk. Your hijack this log looks clean to me (Tarun is way better than me so for shure wait to see what he says). The only thing is that you have lots of entrys that say file missing. Print out that log, then boot to safe mode and remove every thing that says file missing or no file. Then reboot and make sure they are gone. Make sure you get rid of no adware and install ad-aware(made by lavasoft).

Remove these:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto

O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe

Remove these:

Good Morning

I have tried to remove those 4 BHO entires...but when i rerun hijack this they are still there. i have also gone into the regestry thru regedit to delete them but it says i am unable to. pc is working faster, can get to IE but still cant run panda software active scan which i would really like to as it cleaned off 3 other pcs that i have. thanks again :)

Good Morning

I have tried to remove those 4 BHO entires...but when i rerun hijack this they are still there.  i have also gone into the regestry thru regedit to delete them but it says i am unable to.  pc is working faster, can get to IE but still cant run panda software active scan which i would really like to as it cleaned off 3 other pcs that i have.  thanks again :)

hi

i am still having no luck. i ran a few other programs such as kill box, crap cleaner and cwsserviceremove.reg but the entries are still in my hijack this file and i still cant run panda software. when i ran hijack this i chose to fix those 4 BHO entries but they always reappear. here is my newest hijack this results:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 6:33:57 PM, on 7/5/2005

Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe

C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Jenn\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe

O23 - Service: AOL Spyware Protection Service (AOLService) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\\aolserv.exe

O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe

O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe

O23 - Service: pocdikdjairv (pspuxrsw6) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\gpmanokt6.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: ScsiAccess - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE

O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

• Moderators

About those entries that you cant remove have you tried to remove them in safe mode? To enter safe mode shut down your pc and while it starts up hold F8. Then open up hijack this remove those entries and reboot. As for those programs that you just installed kill box and whatever the other was I have never heard of them and would uninstall them.

Try this program its becoming one of my new favorites it can remove some things other programs wont. Just make sure you update it before you scan.

A2 or A squared

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

About those entries that you cant remove have you tried to remove them in safe mode? To enter safe mode shut down your pc and while it starts up hold F8. Then open up hijack this remove those entries and reboot. As for those programs that you just installed kill box and whatever the other was I have never heard of them and would uninstall them.

Try this program its becoming one of my new favorites it can remove some things other programs wont. Just make sure you update it before you scan.

A2 or A squared

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

yes, i believe i have tried to delete the BHO files in safe mode, but I will try again. as i have nothing to lose. I also called the tech support people for panda software and they cant figure out why it wont load or run. They seem to think i have a pop up blocker or something else that is loading that is interefereing with panda. i have panda running on 3 other pcs with no problem.

yes, i believe i have tried to delete the BHO files in safe mode, but I will try again. as i have nothing to lose. I also called the tech support people for panda software and they cant figure out why it wont load or run. They seem to think i have a pop up blocker or something else that is loading that is interefereing with panda. i have panda running on 3 other pcs with no problem.

I have worked on computers in the past, where the malware has totally blocked access to anti-malware software and sites, and perseverance is the only thing that helps in the end, keep running any anti malware programs that will run and deleting whatever is found, including using hijackthis until you are totally fed up, and then some more, you will at some point win.

If the anti malware programs will not update through the normal channels, which can be quite common, download the updates using another computer and install them onto yours manually.

Believe me I have been there.

• Moderators

You are using avg, has it found anything or alerted you to any infections? This is completely optional but I would uninstall avg and get this free etrust ez antivirus for 12 months offer.

http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?...5939&CID=190471

After you try to remove those entries in safe mode run a2 and see what it comes up with.

EDIT

CaPMans right the only thing you can do is to keep trying. Just remember do not download any more Spyware Adware programs. Their are some really bad ones who can make things worse. If you are about to install a spyware program and your not sure about it just ask someone here just to be safe.

sstaarzz might be having trouble accessing these sites and software downloads that you are suggesting, it often happens.

sstaarzz, can you access the type of sites and software downloads being suggested?

EDIT

Even though the malware is detected by an anti malware app, the app might not be able to fix the different variants that can be around, and the fixes might not become available until a later update, hence the importance of still trying to update your computer in any way possible.