Problems installing new AVG 8

xbrianx

I just downloaded the Free AVG 8 program. I was originally using AVG Anti-Virus 7.5 and AVG Anti-Spyware. When I went to install, thinking it'd be like CCleaner, it told me it couldn't install because of previous AVG programs still installed. So, I uninstalled the AV, and rebooted, and still got the same message. I uninstalled the AS, rebooted, and still got the error. There aren't any other AVG programs installed on here, or any other Anti-virus/spyware program aside from Spybot. Is there a problem for anyone else or did I do anything wrong?

Should I just re-download AVG Anti-spyware, keep Spybot, and just get a new Anti-virus?

Thanks.

I got those messages the first time I installed AVG8 too. If you uninstalled AVG7, and AVG AS, and Spybot and it still says there are antivirus etc. on your PC, ignore the messages and just go ahead and install.....if it lets you. It should. (You can always re-install Spybot afterward.)

Oh, if you'd rather get another antivirus, I suggest Avast (free Home edition) or AntiVir. (I like Avast better.)

AVG 8 has been criticized for being "too bloated" (too big for its purpose.)

I got those messages the first time I installed AVG8 too. If you uninstalled AVG7, and AVG AS, and Spybot and it still says there are antivirus etc. on your PC, ignore the messages and just go ahead and install.....if it lets you. It should. (You can always re-install Spybot afterward.)

Oh, if you'd rather get another antivirus, I suggest Avast (free Home edition) or AntiVir. (I like Avast better.)

AVG 8 has been criticized for being "too bloated" (too big for its purpose.)

Well, I guess I won't even bother deleting Spybot and try to install then, since the message I got didn't allow me to install anyways and it was really specific. It included things like(not word for word, but it did have the Ewido name) "AVG Version 8 can't install because there are already Ewido Anti-virus or Anti-Spyware programs installed." It also said something about removing Anti-Spyware, since AVG 8 comes with it or something. Thanks, I'll try Avast. Should I just reinstall the old Anti-Spyware, if there will be updates still? Or, would just Spybot be fine?

AVG8 is antivirus, but it also incorporates AVG AS (AVG antispyware, formerly known as Ewido) within it. That's why it's a bigger download size. I believe Ewido and AVG AS are no longer supported by AVG. If they are, it's for a very limited time. I'm sure you're aware that AVG 7.5 is slated for nonsupport as well in the future. That's normal for any company.

Time for a change, learn something new. Try Avast's free home edition antivirus. If you're not familiar with host programs you might as well hang onto Spybot. Adaware is good too. You're aware of Filehippo, aren't you? Great place to get a lot of apps, codecs, plug-ins, etc.

But....the most important app to ever have is CCleaner because it's ridiculously fabulous. :lol:

I just downloaded the Free AVG 8 program. I was originally using AVG Anti-Virus 7.5 and AVG Anti-Spyware. When I went to install, thinking it'd be like CCleaner, it told me it couldn't install because of previous AVG programs still installed. So, I uninstalled the AV, and rebooted, and still got the same message. I uninstalled the AS, rebooted, and still got the error. There aren't any other AVG programs installed on here, or any other Anti-virus/spyware program aside from Spybot. Is there a problem for anyone else or did I do anything wrong?

Should I just re-download AVG Anti-spyware, keep Spybot, and just get a new Anti-virus?

Thanks.

How are you trying to uninstall AVG 7.5? Using the add/remove programs in Windows is not the proper way.

Go to the AVG 7.5 installation folder. Should be C:/Griftsoft. Look for the setup.exe. Double click it. This will start the installation process. It will scan your system set up and recognize that 7.5 is installed. It will give you several options. Select the option to totally remove the program and all settings. Let it do it's thing and 7.5 will be totally removed from your machine. Than install AVG 8 if thats what you want to use. I much prefer AntiVir.

How are you trying to uninstall AVG 7.5? Using the add/remove programs in Windows is not the proper way.

Go to the AVG 7.5 installation folder. Should be C:/Griftsoft. Look for the setup.exe. Double click it. This will start the installation process. It will scan your system set up and recognize that 7.5 is installed. It will give you several options. Select the option to totally remove the program and all settings. Let it do it's thing and 7.5 will be totally removed from your machine. Than install AVG 8 if thats what you want to use. I much prefer AntiVir.

Oh, thanks, but I've already deleted it. I'll go remove the left over files though.

I believe Ewido and AVG AS are no longer supported by AVG. If they are, it's for a very limited time. I'm sure you're aware that AVG 7.5 is slated for nonsupport as well in the future. That's normal for any company.

AVG AS is supported until Dec 31,2008 same as AVG AV 7.5.

That won't help with the left over reg entries. Thats probably whats causing AVG 8 to indicate that you still have AVG programs installed

Is there a way to disable the real-time protection from Avast? I just want a scanner. :mellow:

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. I disabled:

Instant Messaging-I use Meebo.com and don't transfer files

Internet Mail- I trust Gmail's scanner and the only files I ever receive are the ones I send to myself to save.

Outlook/Exchange- Don't use it

P2P Shield- Don't use P2P either.

I guess the Network, Standard, and Web shields are good... or are they really needed? Also, does anyone use the VRDB thing? I'm running a "thorough" scan right now. I guess it's pretty good so far, it detected AdWare that was removed with HiJack This and it found it in a restore point. Was it a good thing to just move it to the chest? Or should I delete it? I used to always move the infections(I haven't had many, this is probably the first in a year or so) into the quarantine. I need to remove some more processes, theres 44 running right now :unsure:

Is there a way to disable the real-time protection from Avast? I just want a scanner. :mellow:

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. I disabled:

Instant Messaging-I use Meebo.com and don't transfer files

Internet Mail- I trust Gmail's scanner and the only files I ever receive are the ones I send to myself to save.

Outlook/Exchange- Don't use it

P2P Shield- Don't use P2P either.

I guess the Network, Standard, and Web shields are good... or are they really needed? Also, does anyone use the VRDB thing? I'm running a "thorough" scan right now. I guess it's pretty good so far, it detected AdWare that was removed with HiJack This and it found it in a restore point. Was it a good thing to just move it to the chest? Or should I delete it? I used to always move the infections(I haven't had many, this is probably the first in a year or so) into the quarantine. I need to remove some more processes, theres 44 running right now :unsure:

If you don't want to use the realtime protection why install an AV in the first place. There a many online scanners that will give the on demand scans you want. I would use the realtime protection if I were you that's the whole point of installing an AV app. Unless you are running sandboxed all the time I don't think it's a good idea to shut off the realtime protection.

If you don't want to use the realtime protection why install an AV in the first place. There a may online scanners that will give the on demand scans you want. I would use the realtime protection if I were you that's the whole point of installing an AV app. Unless you are running sanboxed all the time I don't think it's a good idea to shut off the realtime protection.

Oh, okay. I didn't really notice a real-time protection in the AVG AV, or at least not as many options to set it up.

• 3 weeks later...

I was having shut down/turn on problems & was told antivirus conflict. I uninstalled AVG 8 & Spybot. Now I can download AVG, but when installing, it kicks me out and does the off/on again. I am running:

XP SP 3

Home Ed.

AMD processor

1.68GHZ

2.0 GB RAM

Initially AVG would not

complete a scan saying

corrupt.

I have cleaned the disk & defragged.

I am in safe mode on the other computer at the moment.

I have uninstalled AVG & Spybot using add/remove and going to program files and deleting. In safe mode, AVG will not let me delete what is left there??? I did Spybot.

I tried a third free antivirus and it will kick me out during installation and off/on all over again?

I download CCleaner & I am nervous about that program. Not familiar with it.

I have restored to previous time and that did not work. Uninstalled most frequent program downloads.

Can't get on line in safe mode to get on line assistance.

Any help appreciated.

Much thanks.

• Moderators

@Beverley

If you have a System Restore point that will take you back to a time before all this happened that's what I'd do.

That system could also possibly be infected. Follow the links in this post here to find a suitable site to post a HijackThis log for assistance in determining if it's really an infection. Note that you'll have to use your good and working computer to download the required cleaning programs, and you'll most likely have to burn a CD-R or CD-RW to get those programs onto that computer.