does CCleaner delete xp restore points

dracula666

does CCleaner delete xp system restor points from the pc when run?

HI Drac,

CCleaner does not do anything to any OS System Restore points.

What's up ? Are you having a problem with restore points?

:) davey

What is the easiest way to remove old restore points? Also, is there a way to selectively remove them? For instance, remove all earlier than such and such a date.

Hi Tom,

The Wizard of AZ.(That is the original name).

First create a manual System Restore point so it will be complete.

Sorry, you gotta use the old slow Windows Disk Cleanup utility More Options tab.Gets rid of all restore points except the last.

I always make sure nothing is checked on the first tab in case I ggof-up.Don't want to lose anything that I want CCleaner to handle or my Recycle bin which is my domain alone.It seems to learn over time not to bother autchecking anything anymore.Could be an SP3 improvement or a Security Fix.

Anyhow that is the best way to do it.No options other than keep the last restore point.That is why you want to create your own so it will be complete before you use the utility.

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. I don't think any software developer will touch the MS System Restore points for fear of getting a bad reputation and taking the blame for why System Restore doesn't work.

Of course YOU can manually go in there and delete what you like. The worst that can happen is System Restore won't work back at those time periods.Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

P.S.S. I am presuming you are talking about XP. If you are talking about Vista then I would check out BertK first.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html Windows Vista, System Restore

Edited by davey

Just to kind of piggyback on what davey said, i find it quicker to remove the system restore points by turning it off and back on again. much faster than disk cleanup. You can chose the amount of space that is reserved for restore points, but you can not manually pick and choose which restore points to keep or remove. (at least not without some scripting :) )

Start> Control Panel> System> System Restore Tab.

be sure to hit apply after disabling system restore. it will take a minute or four while it removes all restore points. :

i find it quicker to remove the system restore points by turning it off and back on again.

Do you have to reboot between turning it off and then back on again -- or is that not necessary?

Do you have to reboot between turning it off and then back on again -- or is that not necessary?

When you uncheck the Enable System Restore box and then hit apply, it goes through and deletes the restore points right then. Theres really no need to reboot. I myself do it before cleaning just to make sure that there as the least amount of in-use or locked files possible before cleaning up an infected pc. for normal daily operations, dont worry about rebooting.