Don't touch it with a 10-foot pole

mikiehahn

Defrag moved some system files that should not have been moved.

Now more than half of my programs don't work, programs don't run at startup, even debug tools

don't run. Get a "can't get entry point to SHELL.dll" error with any application I try to run and they

fail.

I have now spent more than 6 hours trying to get my system back to the way it was before

this piece of junk was installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Now more than half of my programs don't work, programs don't run at startup, even debug tools

don't run. Get a "can't get entry point to SHELL.dll" error with any application I try to run and they

fail.

I have now spent more than 6 hours trying to get my system back to the way it was before

I would hesitate before blaming Defraggler for this issue. While it may have been a catalyst, there are literally thousands of people using this software with no issues. I personally have used it since April on over 30 different PCs (XP and Vista) and have only experienced problems with it on one system that was quite literally overloaded with adware and viruses.

A good suggestion to *any* defrag user of *any* utility (defraggler or otherwise) would be to run a full system scan and disk check (CHKDSK, or the equivalent GUI tool) *prior* to defragging the system. It is very likely your disk had errors prior to the defrag process that led to the issues you describe.

That said, I would *love* to see a disk check as part of the normal defrag process (or even run on startup of Defraggler). Not in fix mode, as that generally requires a reboot, but just a standard check. Defraggler could then warn the user and suggest a full check if any errors were found.

fail.

I hope anyone reading your post realizes that there were existing problems with your system.

Defraggler doesn't do anything except native defragmentation calls that are already built into the operating system.