Sun released v6 Update 7 of Java

YoKenny

Sun released v6 Update 7 of Java

Go to Add/Remove Programs and un-install all versions of Sun Java.

Download Sun Java update then install:

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Note: Un-select the Open Office Suite download if you do not want it installed as well.

Go to Secunia: Online Software Inspector to verify correct version of Sun Java installation:

http://secunia.com/software_inspector

Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x is up-to-date. The detected version installed on your system is 6.0.70.6, which either corresponds to or is newer than the latest secure version released by the vendor.

Installed on Your System in:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\java.exe

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Damn, just updated to Update 6 a while ago. Before that, i had Update 3 for a long time.

Btw, if you have problems to UNinstall your current Sun Java ('Add/Remove program' only gives option to install), there's a .bat file available (somewhere). Anyway, here's the code. Just copy it to Notepad and "Save as", for example as java.bat. Run the file by double clicking it.

echo offecho Uninstalling Java Runtime Environment 1.6...IF EXIST "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06" msiexec.exe /qn /x {3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0160060}IF EXIST "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05" msiexec.exe /qn /x {3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0160050}IF EXIST "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04" msiexec.exe /qn /x {3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0160040}

Note: If you have some other version, than listed in the code, just modify the code. Change the jre version and the second last number of the registry entry. Like this: jre1.6.0_03...3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0160030.

I tried the built-in uninstaller (through Revo) and all it did was reinstall Java 1.6.0.6. Then I tried the Add/Remove program and it did uninstall 1.6.0.6.

Hmmm, maybe the 'Add/Remove program' uninstall works with Update 6. I have Update 6 now installed. I have tried 'Add/Remove program' uninstall with all 1.6.0.x versions up to .0.3 and have not been able to uninstall. That uninstall problem can also be somehow system specific, so all maybe don't have this problem.

Edit: Second hmmmm. I have always used the RegCleaner Uninstall Menu, because i think it's exactly same thing as 'Add/Remove program'. Well, maybe it isn't after all...?

I think the problem is with RegCleaner Uninstaller. It shows that the uninstall path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Java x Update x, but there's no such a path in the registry. Correct path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D01600x0}. (x means the current version).

• Moderators
I tried the built-in uninstaller (through Revo) and all it did was reinstall Java 1.6.0.6. Then I tried the Add/Remove program and it did uninstall 1.6.0.6.

I had that same problem many versions ago.

Uninstalling and reinstalling is not necessary. Just use JavaRa to update using the built-in Java updater. After installation is complete, use JavaRa again to remove old versions of Java (Version 6 Update 6 and earlier) and other junk Java files. Very quick, easy, and effective procedure.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

(slaps head, I have Java Ra.) You know, Java Ra is still so new to me. I never think of it when there's a new Java out because...this is like the first new version of Java since I downloaded Java Ra. ;)

(slaps head, I have Java Ra.) You know, Java Ra is still so new to me. I never think of it when there's a new Java out because...this is like the first new version of Java since I downloaded Java Ra. ;)

Yeah same here. Its a slick little program. Without it, I might not even have been aware of Java updates or wouldn't have bothered because of how inconvenient it is.

I'd still like to know why Java leaves old versions of it's software on your machine instead of replacing them with the new version.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Hmmm, maybe the 'Add/Remove program' uninstall works with Update 6. I have Update 6 now installed. I have tried 'Add/Remove program' uninstall with all 1.6.0.x versions up to .0.3 and have not been able to uninstall. That uninstall problem can also be somehow system specific, so all maybe don't have this problem.

Edit: Second hmmmm. I have always used the RegCleaner Uninstall Menu, because i think it's exactly same thing as 'Add/Remove program'. Well, maybe it isn't after all...?

I think the problem is with RegCleaner Uninstaller. It shows that the uninstall path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Java x Update x, but there's no such a path in the registry. Correct path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D01600x0}. (x means the current version).

Hi CeeCee,

Just like the other guys I now use JavaRa to do anything related to Java.

Using JavaRa I got rid of a lot of old Java junk that was still on my system.You can use it to check and download load new versions of Java or JavaRa itself.Plus you can delete the Java start-uo entry for quicker boots.Once satisfied with the new release of Java, you then use JavaRa to get rid all the old Java files and versions.How simple can you get for a task that used to be so unreliable from Java.

It is a handy little tool for New users and those who would rather use a program to get rid of the junk without messing around or playing with the Registry. It is available here http://prm753.bchea.org/JavaRa.html .

:) davey

umm... why uninstall Java? i haven't had any problems in years with updating.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8