It seems to be stuck

Shauna

Hi, I'm the original computer idiot:) I've been desperately trying to find a program to recover all of my picture and music files so I'm veryvery excited about Recuva. I lost everything almost a year ago when I idiotically did a system recovery without backups. I know everything was in My Documents but the program stalls @ 100% Stage 1 of 2. Been there for about two hours now. What am I doing wrong? Is it even possible for me to get my info back? Pictures were originally stored through Kodak Easy Share...I can see the thumbnails but can't get them to open. All music was through MusicMatch which switched to Yahoo Music. Please and thank you very much!

Welcome to Piriform Shauna.

I lost everything almost a year ago when I idiotically did a system recovery without backups.

A year ago? You're hoping aren't you?

As system recovery doesn't remove anything it only restores the registry to the date you've specified.

The problem with deleting files is they aren't actually deleted it just removes it from the file list (FAT File Allocation Table) and makes the space the file was using available for new data to be written. If the original file space it owerwritten then you will have problems recovering it. You say a year ago so you must have written a lot of new files since then?

Help On Getting It To Work.

I've heard the deep scan can take 2 hours or more but if you want to try and recover these files leave it running. I've never used the deep scan so I don't know if it gets stuck. If I've deleted a file accidentally then I run Recuva straight away before the file can be overwritten. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform Shauna.

A year ago? You're hoping aren't you?

As system recovery doesn't remove anything it only restores the registry to the date you've specified.

The problem with deleting files is they aren't actually deleted it just removes it from the file list (FAT File Allocation Table) and makes the space the file was using available for new data to be written. If the original file space it owerwritten then you will have problems recovering it. You say a year ago so you must have written a lot of new files since then?

Help On Getting It To Work.

I've heard the deep scan can take 2 hours or more but if you want to try and recover these files leave it running. I've never used the deep scan so I don't know if it gets stuck. If I've deleted a file accidentally then I run Recuva straight away before the file can be overwritten. ;)

Oh, my computer has been in storage all that time:) I moved out of state. Sorry about that! I gave up on it lateearly last night, I'm going to give it another try later. I just wasn't sure if the program itself was stuck, it did still say Searching... at the bottom, just stayed @ 100% forever. Thank you!