Causes program to reinstall

Is there any way that I can stop CCleaner from affecting one specific program? I use a program made by Alcatel for telecommunications work. Whenever I run CCleaner the Alcatel program attempts to reinstall itself.

Steve

Is there any way that I can stop CCleaner from affecting one specific program? I use a program made by Alcatel for telecommunications work. Whenever I run CCleaner the Alcatel program attempts to reinstall itself.

i believe that this problem is not cause by the "application" tab...

since you have bring up this question... i want to ask whether is there a way to disallow CCleaner to remove files in the windows temp folder?

i know that there is one option that says "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours" but does this question stop CCleaner from cleaning?

--==aGumon==--

I know it's a problem with Windows temp, it probably removes a useless text file and makes you reinstall it. :rolleyes:

I looked for any references to the Alcatel program on the applications tab and it's not there. I also tried running with the windows temp unchecked but still no luck. Any other ideas would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

since you have bring up this question... i want to ask whether is there a way to disallow CCleaner to remove files in the windows temp folder?

i know that there is one option that says "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours" but does this question stop CCleaner from cleaning?

what a stupid question i am asking... :lol:

--==aGumon==--

Oh, I know what this is. I've seen this a lot. Note: You can rest assured that it is not CCleaner doing this; CCleaner is just somehow able to *trigger* it. Spywareblaster is another program that is able to trigger these weird MSI (Microsoft Installer) problems. I knew of some more that could do it, but can't think straight at the moment.

Microsoft Office does this crap too -- just appears and starts to reinstall itself when you reboot [sometimes], or run Spywareblaster, or one of the other programs that is able to "trigger" this event.

To this day, I'm still not sure how it happens, or why it does this, but it's always certain programs triggering it, and it's always a Microsoft Installer that wants to install.

Things you can try:

* Let the Alcatel program do whatever it wants to do, follow all of its orders, point it to any disks/discs it wants, and let it finally finish (don't cancel it anymore). This rarely works; sometimes when it's Office coming up for me, after I point it at the office disc it wants, then it leaves me alone. But that's only sometimes.

* 1) Completely uninstall the program. 2) Download the Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (it gets installed at the bottom of your start menu) and see if there are any lines referencing Alcatel (after you've already uninstalled Alcatel, that is) or any completely blank lines. If there are, remove them. 3) Then run CCleaner's issues button and remove all found entries... do this over and over until CCleaner's issues list comes up blank. 4) Also use CCleaner on the Cleaner tab, just in case. 5) Reboot. 6) Reinstall the offending Alcatel app.

* Zap it while it's installed: While the Alcatel program is installed, use the aforementioned MSI Cleanup Utility to remove its entry. Now install Alcatel.

* Contact the company. See if they can find the person who built the MSI package. Maybe they've heard of this. Tell them what the problem is, but never mention CCleaner by name. Be vague. In fact, if you discover any other apps that can cause this (try Spywareblaster like I mentioned, if not just to prove this whole theory) then mention that it happens with many apps, but don't mention them by name... it will only lead their support crew into instant 'get-you-off-their-back' tactic which is where they say: "Oh then you need to stop using <program> or reinstall it or contact their support, because it's not us".

If anyone has any information [like an MSKB article] on why certain MSI packages try to reinstall themselves occassionally, triggered by launching certain programs, PLEASE post now and you'll be mentioned on my blog. :)

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• Moderators

This information is for you DjLizard

I had a constant file extraction issue with Office 2003 everytime I would launch one of Speek's Frontends for command line audio related programs.

----------

The only solutions that I found was to:

1. Input into cleaning programs to exclude the file: opa11.bak

Note: If opa11.bak is deleted it will trigger a missing file dialog when launching certain programs that rely upon Office installed system files such as mscomctl.ocx ("Windows Common Controls ActiveX Control DLL"), and perhaps other files which I was never able to determine which are installed by Office, not necessarily just Office 2003.

2. Copy all the .msi and .cab files from the Office 2003 install CD to a folder on the hard disk "C:\DRIVERS\OFFICE" and when I was asked again for the install CD I simply pointed to "C:\DRIVERS\OFFICE" and was never again bothered with a prompt to insert the install CD.

• 5 years later...

Steve

When you say after you run CCleaner, do you mean you just run CCleaner, or that you run the registry cleaner as well? I highly advise against running the registry cleaner with all options checked if this is the case.

The top 3 ticks are the ones that cause the most problems, & MSI based installers are well known for problems. You can get problems from MSI installers by clearing information from the registry that links to them, or by running an uninstaller for a program that utilizes the same dir for their files, etc, etc. I am assuming this is an MSI type installation program that you used, because what you are describing sounds very typical of what can happen with MSI based installs.

Would help to know what OS you are using, what SP of that OS, whether you only ran ccleaner or if you ran the registry cleaner, & also if you were using/installing/uninstalling other MSI based installers any time recently.

Additionally, if you have the problem "every time you run CCleaner" then this seems to indicate that you already had some corrupt MSI file somewhere on your system with an incorrect reference in the registry.

It is possible that if you uninstall the program you are using, then re-install it, that it may fix that problem, but there is a chance it may not. Win XP & higher is much better about running things always in their own separate memory spaces than win 98 (which caused cross-linked files/files overwriting each other).

Thanks!