Problem with My PC and Windows Explorer

After I installed the new version of CCleaner I uninstalled the Yahoo toolbar and now I can't open My PC or Windows Explorer. I used System Restore and the problem disappeared. I installed CCleaner again and the same problem!!

After I installed the new version of CCleaner I uninstalled the Yahoo toolbar and now I can't open My PC or Windows Explorer. I used System Restore and the problem disappeared. I installed CCleaner again and the same problem!!

This sounds pretty serious so, for now, some questions.

01. What version of CCleaner, including the version number and if you used the "Full" or "Slim" version?

02. Where did you download it?

03. What version of Windows, including the service pack version number?

04. How did you go about removing the Yahoo! Toolbar? Meaning did you use the Windows "Add/Remove", the one built into CCleaner in the Tools section, or did you just delete the Yahoo! folder in the "Programs" folder?

05. What browsers do you have? Internet Explorer and version 6, 7, or 8beta? Firefox 2 or 3? Safari(really hope not - security issues)?

06. Is the Yahoo! Toolbar showing up in the Windows Explorer? Even if you don't see it, right click on a blank area in the area above the address bar and see if it's an option.

07. Are your Windows updates, up to date?

08. When you say that you couldn't open "My PC or Windows Explorer", what exactly to you mean? Because either your computer will boot into Windows, and the Explorer won't open and you're just looking at the blank desktop background, or the system just won't boot into Windows at all. And/or when you say "My PC" are you talking about the "My Computer"?

If you can list the answers by number, we can better help you, and it will be much appreciated.

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

http://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings.htm

01. CCleaner 2.09.600. I believe it's the full version.

02. I went to CCleaner's webpage and downloaded it through FileHippo

03. Windows XP Service Pack 2

04. The first time I removed it with Windows "Add/Remove" the second with CCleaner

05. I have Firefox 2.0.0.15. I believe an update downloaded yesterday or today and Internet Explorer 7

06. The toolbar never appeared because what happened is, when I install CCleaner I always put next and forget to uncheck that option. But after I realize my mistake I uninstall it. I mean it may have appeared but I never checked.

07. I believe my Windows is up to date

08. I mean this, I'll try my best because I speak spanish, I know english but it's hard to explain technical stuff. If for example, I double click on the My PC Icon. It loads and then the lower toolbar, I believe it's the taskbar, where the open programs show up, the clock, etc, disappears. And some things show up that weren't there, for example, I don't have Pando open and it appears.

What bothers me is I can't use Windows Explorer or My PC. I just tried and it happens with Control Panel.

Last time, I solved it with System Restore, on thursday. I didn't think it was CCleaner, I've used it for so long and never had any issues, I thought it could be a virus or spyware. But after System Restore it was all ok until I opened CCleaner. I had an old version of CCleaner (because of System Restore) so it said I could update. So I reinstalled the one I downloaded and the same problem appeared. I tried System Restore but I can't get to a previous point :-S

01. CCleaner 2.09.600. I believe it's the full version.

02. I went to CCleaner's webpage and downloaded it through FileHippo

03. Windows XP Service Pack 2

04. The first time I removed it with Windows "Add/Remove" the second with CCleaner

05. I have Firefox 2.0.0.15. I believe an update downloaded yesterday or today and Internet Explorer 7

06. The toolbar never appeared because what happened is, when I install CCleaner I always put next and forget to uncheck that option. But after I realize my mistake I uninstall it. I mean it may have appeared but I never checked.

07. I believe my Windows is up to date

08. I mean this, I'll try my best because I speak spanish, I know english but it's hard to explain technical stuff. If for example, I double click on the My PC Icon. It loads and then the lower toolbar, I believe it's the taskbar, where the open programs show up, the clock, etc, disappears. And some things show up that weren't there, for example, I don't have Pando open and it appears.

What bothers me is I can't use Windows Explorer or My PC. I just tried and it happens with Control Panel.

Last time, I solved it with System Restore, on thursday. I didn't think it was CCleaner, I've used it for so long and never had any issues, I thought it could be a virus or spyware. But after System Restore it was all ok until I opened CCleaner. I had an old version of CCleaner (because of System Restore) so it said I could update. So I reinstalled the one I downloaded and the same problem appeared. I tried System Restore but I can't get to a previous point :-S

OK, so for CCleaner let's try this one - http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No...lish_d4191.html - If you bookmark that link, you'll always get the "slim" version without the Yahoo! Toolbar and it will always have the latest version. Next, go get the latest version of Firefox which is version three (3). If you use any of the "Advanced" settings, make sure you check the "Save all settings to INI file" box and then go the CCleaner folder in the Programs folder and copy that ".ini" file and save it somewhere else where it won't be deleted, so you can use it again later. Before you install the new version of CCleaner again, I would do a complete uninstall of CCleaner from the Add/Remove Programs from the control panel first. Reboot the computer and see if the Yahoo! Toolbar is in your explorer options, if it is, then use the Add/Remove Programs to remove it also. Make sure you don't have any extra programs open when you start your install. Then try the new "Slim" version of CCleaner. At this point, do not use the ".ini" file you saved yet until we see if Windows works right with the new version. If it still crashes then we'll know for sure that CCleaner has a conflict with something else on your system. I just don't know about Pando, I had to look it up to see what it was. I'm not saying that it is bad, I just don't know and haven't really had anytime to look at it.

I'm also sure that the rest of the people here in the forums will also have some suggestions for you. Also I don't speak Spanish, but I know some of the folks here do and if the translation gets to be too much, someone will help. Please let us know what works and doesn't.

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

http://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings.htm

Hi elcama,

What Vic is telling you to do sounds good to me.

The following statement caught my attention.

So I reinstalled the one I downloaded and the same problem appeared. I tried System Restore but I can't get to a previous point :-S

Please delete this download as it is probably defective in some manner.

If possible Link to the following website and download Dial-a-Fix program.It is a most beneficial program for many WinXp users.

You need to get this and put it into your C:\Windows folder in case you need to get to it .

Do this NOW, if it is still possible.You do not have to run it now until you try what Vic has recommended.

You may need it to fix some things if things get worse.. http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix

It is always good to have this program on your WinXP PC. I have used it many times to get me out of trouble.

Good luck,

:) davey

• Moderators

You should only have one anti -virus installed as running more than that can cause big problems on a PC.

I suggest you choose which anti virus you want to have running real time, and uninstall the others.

Then do a scan in safe mode.

Which anti -malware programs do you have installed?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I have AVG, Avast, BitDefender and Avira. I had two and a virus came to my other PC so I decided to add two more

Whats up don't you trust one? Keep AVG and dump the others. Which version of AVG are you running and let me guess 8.0. ;)

You should only have one anti -virus installed as running more than that can cause big problems on a PC.

My thoughts exactly Hazel.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best