Program files folder

Capman

When I uninstall a program, I find that there is often a folder relating to it in the "Program Files" folder, I once read that these can just be deleted, which is what I always do, and have never had any problems yet.

However, tonight I have uninstalled all the kids games from my computer as they dont play them anymore, and whilst I was at it I uninstalled a few other apps, and put alternatives on in place which I downloaded from Tarun's site.

I now have loads of folders left in the "Program Files" folder, which are possibly wasting space, which is what tonights exercise has all been about, because I noticed last night that I only had 5Gb of hard drive left, it is now back up to 17Gb.

Is it really safe to just delete these folders?

• Moderators

The only downside is that if you reinstalled those programs you would no longer have all of your settings and things. I used to have tons of them too and deleted them. How big of a hard drive do you have? I have never almost filled one up. Even with the gigs of music and photos that I have.

• Moderators
The only downside is that if you reinstalled those programs you would no longer have all of your settings and things.

Easiest solution is to fire up your file archiver and zip the remain folder contents (settings) storing the full folder information.

Only 40Gb

Good idea.

Capman,yeh I've noticed this as well.They have some you beaut uninstallers out there that reckon they can get rid of everything.Even reg entries.

What I beleive the truth is that you need a program to monitor any installs of software to fully uninstall everything put on your system.But the the catch 22 comes into play if you want uninstall the install monitor.Stuffed if I know the solution except a clean install or ghost image backup.