DOES AVAST 4 HOME COVER IT ALL? Any additions needed?

Atnes

Hello to All,

Following the friendly advice&suggestions&tips I had received from this forum a few days ago, I decided to use avast 4 home (free). The on-line instructions and the description of the product suggest that the version avast 4 home covers/protects so-to-say everything that needs protection, defence or some kind of monitoring. Well, I have been using Windows Defender and Lavasoft Ad-Aware all along, together with Sophos and later ZoneAlarm (trial version), and I think I'll keep the two. But the question is, is my computer properly protected with avast 4 home - in all respects? Or do I need an extra Firewall and Anti-Spy protection? I wouldn't want to overload my computer with (perhaps) unnecessary, superfluous, redundant tools. :mellow:

:D Now, if anyone of you should think that I am repeating myself with my questions (not so long ago I was "squeezing" the forum on a very similar theme - ALL-ROUND SECURITY, ANTI-SPY. ANTI-VIRUS, remember?) - then such person

is absolutely right! :rolleyes: Sorry about this, sorry to bother you, but I need to be sure that I have tried&done all I can to protect my computer adequately. Thank you for your answers!

Best, Atnes

I use Windows Defender but I don't use Ad-Aware anymore as it only finds some cookies that I want to keep.

I have Avast! Home and I have On-Access Scanners running which are Instant Messaging, Internet email, Network, Standard, and Web shields.

I have WinPatrol that monitors quite a few things.

I only use Windows firewall as my ISP provided DSL modem has one built in.

I don't use any special Anti-Spy application but I do use McAfee SiteAdvisor on my XP Pro system and FireTrust SiteHound on my XP Home system to alert me to known malicious sites.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I use Windows Defender but I don't use Ad-Aware anymore as it only finds some cookies that I want to keep.

I have Avast! Home and I have On-Access Scanners running which are Instant Messaging, Internet email, Network, Standard, and Web shields.

I have WinPatrol that monitors quite a few things.

I only use Windows firewall as my ISP provided DSL modem has one built in.

I don't use any special Anti-Spy application but I do use McAfee SiteAdvisor on my XP Pro system and FireTrust SiteHound on my XP Home system to alert me to known malicious sites.

Ahm. Thanks. MY OS is XP Pro - like yours. WinPatrol 'sounds' nice - I'll go and have a look at it. As to McAfee SiteAdvisor (and other McAfee products) - not so long ago, I witnessed a rather heated debate about the disadvantages/deficiencies of McAfee tools in comparison to some other brands. Well, I have no idea...

Best, Atnes

I think you need, as a minimum, an antivirus and a firewall. Some users are happy with the built in XP firewall, but this only controls inbound. Definitely worthwhile, IMO, using a two way firewall, so you have control over what attempts to connect from the computer to the world.

Avast 4.8 includes spyware detection. There is also a webshield module in Avast that will (if running) prevent pages from loading, if the webshield detects a known exploit within. To me, this makes BHO's such as Siteadvisor rather superfluous.

Definitely doesn't hurt to have another demand scanner or two, to be sure to be sure. Superantispyware, and MBAM are excellent, and a significant upgrade from AdAware.

If your trial of ZoneAlarm is the suite, it includes AV. This will conflict badly with any other AV you install. But I imagine you're referring to the firewall, which, from accounts, is very good. (Other popular firewalls include Comodo and Online Armour.)

Chuck in a little immunity, like the excellent free SpywareBlaster (particularly useful if you use IE), and you should be pretty secure.

Winpatrol is a very good computer monitor for detecting changes to various aspects of the OS, and reversing those changes, should you choose. The paid version operates in real time.

I think you need, as a minimum, an antivirus and a firewall. Some users are happy with the built in XP firewall, but this only controls inbound. Definitely worthwhile, IMO, using a two way firewall, so you have control over what attempts to connect from the computer to the world.

Avast 4.8 includes spyware detection. There is also a webshield module in Avast that will (if running) prevent pages from loading, if the webshield detects a known exploit within. To me, this makes BHO's such as Siteadvisor rather superfluous.

Definitely doesn't hurt to have another demand scanner or two, to be sure to be sure. Superantispyware, and MBAM are excellent, and a significant upgrade from AdAware.

If your trial of ZoneAlarm is the suite, it includes AV. This will conflict badly with any other AV you install. But I imagine you're referring to the firewall, which, from accounts, is very good. (Other popular firewalls include Comodo and Online Armour.)

Chuck in a little immunity, like the excellent free SpywareBlaster (particularly useful if you use IE), and you should be pretty secure.

Winpatrol is a very good computer monitor for detecting changes to various aspects of the OS, and reversing those changes, should you choose. The paid version operates in real time.

Hello, Tarq57,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! My Trial ZoneAlarm was the suite, but I have already removed it (by add/remove option) as the trial period had ended. And WinPatrol is really phantastic- following the advice, I downloaded it yesterday (paid version) and spent three hours playing with it and enjoying it. From what I could see in such a short time, it really does what it promises. And thank you for the SpywareBlaster suggestion - I shall take it :rolleyes: . But in this case I can do without AdAware and remove it, I suppose?

Thank you very much again!

Regards, Atnes

But in this case I can do without AdAware and remove it, I suppose?

Not quite. Context.

Adaware is an antispyware scanner. SpywareBlaster isn't. The former will scan when commanded and attempt to remove malicious software detected. SpywareBlaster prevents quite a lot of known bad spyware from loading in the first place.It doesn't scan, it's a run once, update occasionally, and forget it application. Hence the word "immunity".

So it's a different category of application.

Do you need AdAware?

I think it's a pretty good idea to keep one or two demand scanners ready and waiting, and scan with them occasionally.

Whether you keep AdAware or replace it (or add to it) with something else is up to you.

The frequency of scans, also, depends on how often you get "stuff". I don't mean cookies, here, they're relatively harmless;can be easy deleted via the browser (or CCleaner), but if you find with a reputable scanner that you're getting malware often, scan daily. (And learn safe browsing.) If not (which is, hopefully, the majority experience,) maybe weekly or fortnightly, just as a check.

Why more than one scanner? They all have different detections, and one may be able to find something that another can't, on any particular day. Some have better removal capabilities, for particular types of malware.

Avast should stop most of the nasties in their tracks. Additional scanning is just like a safety audit, or in the unlikely event you get something that Avast doesn't cope with.

Not quite. Context.

Adaware is an antispyware scanner. SpywareBlaster isn't. The former will scan when commanded and attempt to remove malicious software detected. SpywareBlaster prevents quite a lot of known bad spyware from loading in the first place.It doesn't scan, it's a run once, update occasionally, and forget it application. Hence the word "immunity".

So it's a different category of application.

Do you need AdAware?

I think it's a pretty good idea to keep one or two demand scanners ready and waiting, and scan with them occasionally.

Whether you keep AdAware or replace it (or add to it) with something else is up to you.

The frequency of scans, also, depends on how often you get "stuff". I don't mean cookies, here, they're relatively harmless;can be easy deleted via the browser (or CCleaner), but if you find with a reputable scanner that you're getting malware often, scan daily. (And learn safe browsing.) If not (which is, hopefully, the majority experience,) maybe weekly or fortnightly, just as a check.

Why more than one scanner? They all have different detections, and one may be able to find something that another can't, on any particular day. Some have better removal capabilities, for particular types of malware.

Avast should stop most of the nasties in their tracks. Additional scanning is just like a safety audit, or in the unlikely event you get something that Avast doesn't cope with.

Aha, I get it. A scan is never wasted time, right? I'm keeping Avast - though the free version is - to me - rather stingy with service; it doesn't let you schedule your scans, it doesn't fix infections (I believe it does not even quarantine infected or dangerous files?) and so on... Maybe I find yet another fine scanner to add to my collection, heheh.

Tarq57, thanks again for your exhaustive and kind help!

Regards, Atnes

I'm keeping Avast - though the free version is - to me - rather stingy with service; it doesn't let you schedule your scans, it doesn't fix infections (I believe it does not even quarantine infected or dangerous files?)
The Pro version lets you schedule scans and both the Free and the Pro versions will quarantine infected or dangerous files.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Layered Protection.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user