Need help with Flash Drive!

shoosh

About a month ago I purchased a 16gb flash drive off eBay. I just recently passed the 1gb mark of used space and now nothing new will stay saved on the drive. Transferring it to the drive is fine, but once I unplug it and plug it back in, the file remains but it is always empty. This happens every time and I've tried with several different folders. I can't return it because the guy is no longer a member of eBay (how convenient!). I'm not extremely upset because I paid roughly the same amount as a 1gb flash drive would cost at the store, but I expected 16gb and now I have all these folders sitting around on my computer just taking up space. This isn't the product I have, but the packaging is identical.

Does anyone know something I can do to fix this? I've already formatted it numerous times with everything being fine until I get to about 1.3gb used.

• Moderators

I had a similar problem with a 1gb flash drive a while back. It suddenly decided it was only a 4.5mb drive, and nothing I tried could persuade it otherwise.

Fortunately in my case it wasn't very old, and I took it back to PCWorld and they just replaced it. They didn't know any fix either.

That's the best I can tell you, but if anyone knows different, I'll be keen to hear it to.

Edit: Almost forgot, welcome to the forum shoosh.

About a month ago I purchased a 16gb flash drive off eBay. I just recently passed the 1gb mark of used space and now nothing new will stay saved on the drive. Transferring it to the drive is fine, but once I unplug it and plug it back in, the file remains but it is always empty. This happens every time and I've tried with several different folders. I can't return it because the guy is no longer a member of eBay (how convenient!). I'm not extremely upset because I paid roughly the same amount as a 1gb flash drive would cost at the store, but I expected 16gb and now I have all these folders sitting around on my computer just taking up space. This isn't the product I have, but the packaging is identical.

Does anyone know something I can do to fix this? I've already formatted it numerous times with everything being fine until I get to about 1.3gb used.

How did you format it??? FAT, FAT32, NTFS.. Reason I asked is (1)"In FAT32, the root directory is unlimited in size. What this means is that you can have as many files and directories in C:\> as you'd like. In the days of FAT16, you could have a maximum of 255 directory entries. That means that if you had normal filenames of 8 letters + 3 extensions, you have a maximum of 255 directories + files."

footnote: (1) http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/filesystems2.html

• 2 weeks later...

How did you remove it? Did you just pull it out of the USB port?

I had similar problems like this on my Computer Art class' eMacs(Apple). When I would drag a file to the folder, then remove the drive, it'd give me an error saying that the file was either corrupted or didn't save properly. I found out that I need to drag the drive icon to the Trashcan, then remove it.

Maybe you have to "Safely Remove" it? Worth a try I suppose.

Check out NewEgg.com. I bought a 4GB drive for only a few bucks when I saw other, popular, stores have them for close to $100. I've also heard a lot of good things about the site when it comes to returning items.